PDA

View Full Version : Umm... stills?

marlontorres
05-07-2009, 12:45 PM
I know everyone is here a videohead but how good are the capabilities of the GH1 of taking still photographs compared to the D90 and 5DM2 or any Nikons & Canon's in general. Yes the GH1 shoots video but I still think its first and foremost a picture camera. As a photo hobbiest, can anyone give me feedback on how good stills look with this camera compared to comparable nikon and canon models?

upshot
05-07-2009, 01:00 PM
Using my G1 as a measuring stick:

-It's not a high iso master like the 5D but it holds it's own against aps-c sensors. I had no hesitations selling my D200 after I'd used the G1 for a while. I always felt that the D200 noise celing was around iso500 and personally I find it the same with the G1

-Lenses! yes you have to deal with the 2x crop factor but the 4/3 sensor is wedged right inbetween 16mm and aps-c with the registration distance to handle just about any lens ever made! I'm using c-mount, nikon, pentax, canon, whatever! If it exists there is a very good chance it can be adapted to the G1

-Articulated lcd... It rocks and the focus assist is easy to pull up with manual lenses

-EVF... It will suprise you. It's actually quite usable.

-It's light, fun and doesn't attract the attention the big bodies do. (which can be a very good thing)

pix2pixels
05-07-2009, 07:16 PM
A G1 review from a photographic point of view can be found here (http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/panasonic-g1.shtml) and here (http://www.outbackphoto.com/CONTENT_2007_01/section_gear_cameras/20081119_Panasonic_G1/index.html).

jona816
05-07-2009, 07:41 PM
i believe there are some photo samples on flickr. just type gh1 in search bar

John Caballero
05-07-2009, 08:33 PM
i believe there are some photo samples on flickr. just type gh1 in search bar

Quite a few samples. Very good in low light.

Yes the GH1 shoots video but I still think its first and foremost a picture camera.

This camera is from the folks at Panasonic, video kings. This camera is clearly a very advance video camera with photo stills to match. This is a whole new ballgame. And Panasonic knows how to play it.

Kholi
05-07-2009, 10:04 PM
I know everyone is here a videohead but how good are the capabilities of the GH1 of taking still photographs compared to the D90 and 5DM2 or any Nikons & Canon's in general. Yes the GH1 shoots video but I still think its first and foremost a picture camera. As a photo hobbiest, can anyone give me feedback on how good stills look with this camera compared to comparable nikon and canon models?

D90 is a better still camera by all technical definition. And honestly, even with the kit lens I got better results as far as stills go.

It's about on par with the D70S which I still own, the GH-1 I mean, which should be enough for any hobbyist. Or, well it's enough for me, anyway. Considering how incredible the video from the camera is.

The quality of the still is very pleasant with my Zeiss Contax glass.

daveswan
05-08-2009, 03:23 AM
If I were looking at a cam purely or 90%-ly for photography, it would have to be the 5DII.