PDA

View Full Version : from US to Europe

moremoresp
05-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi,
I am thinking in ordering the GH1 from Amazon US to Spain (as soon as available).
My question is: are there any technical issues for a US model working in Europe?

I am thinking of AC not beeing valid for 220volts or the Camera not beeing compatible with PAL (or any other issue you might think about).

Thanks a lot and kind regards,

Emanuel
05-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Count on 24 and 30 instead the usual 25 frames just for beginning.

moremoresp
05-06-2009, 04:52 PM
so no good idea I guess....
any other issues appart from the 24p instead of 25p?

Emanuel
05-06-2009, 07:52 PM
The pulldown can be the major issue. Despite of that, I prefer the 24p -> 25p than the opposite -- I'd buy it. Unless you do not need the 24 frames, the most part don't.

Another hassle is potentially more flickering problems than with a multiple of 50Hz. But you can control it with the shutter speed. Just as reference, I've shot with a Canon 5D Mark II going with native 30p with no flickering problem at all, so far. I said, Canon 5D Mark II. That famous one for not having manual control straight out the box.

The $ vs. € currency rate should be the decisive factor IMHO ;-) Not if you have the need for a faster workflow for european customers in a daily basis. Then, you should be stuck with the 25p. It will help your daily work in an easier way.

¡Saludos de un portugués en Roma!

Emanuel :-)

moremoresp
05-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi Emanuel.
Thanks for your answer. I have to say that I do not totally understand what you mean.
You are recomending me to buy it, but at the same time you are saying that I could have probles with the videos.

Just to be clear:
- Whould I be able to see the videos on my PAL TV? What about the computer?
- The flickering problems due to the 24p instead of 25p, are they something that a non expert eye can notice easily?
-Does Pinnacle or other software convert from 24p to 25p?
- About the AC adaptor: does anyone know if it is prepared for 220volts?

Sorry to insist, I am not an expert on this but I would like to understand it well.
Thanks a lot!!

Emanuel
05-07-2009, 07:23 AM
As everything in life, there's no perfect way nowhere, only compromises.

There's no problem at all with the conversions. How do you think the features are released in PAL? The computer doesn't apply. LOL

The software is cheap, as well. If you don't already have it with your workflow. The only hassle will be the time you shall need for.

Do not worry so much with AC adaptors! I'm used to buy part of my gear from US. It's a common place when you'll be used too.

Beware with warranty issues anyway. Do a contact first in order to check it out with the manufacturer rep in Spain.

You can also have flickering problems with 25p. Less, though ('cause the european 50Hz vs. USA 60Hz). The key is in the shutter speed (and its control). If there's flickering, you'll notice for sure. Count on it :-)