PDA

View Full Version : Worth giving up my DVX?

Final Design Studios
05-06-2009, 03:49 PM
I shoot local commercials that are nearly always delivered SD and have been shooting with a DVX for almost five years. After looking at the GH1, I'm wondering if I should just let the DVX go and grab this thing.

It's relatively inexpensive, small, HD, and no need for a 35mm adapter. I could pump in my wireless sennheiser system for sound and start delivering the best quality in town.

What do you all think? I'm worried that there's something I'm not thinking about and it's hard to give up my DVX because it's been such a reliable workhorse for me.

-Tyler

John Caballero
05-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Just keep your DVX and get the GH1. I believe that is always good to have a backup camera just in case. But I think the GH1 is going to turn up pretty good.

Final Design Studios
05-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Honestly I probably will keep it around, but making the switch to the GH1 for all my work is pretty tempting.

John Caballero
05-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Its a whole new ballgame but the images are much better looking HD and the shallow DOF of the GH1 is pretty nice. You might also need a more powerful computer for the AVCHD.

Final Design Studios
05-06-2009, 04:00 PM
I already took the raw files supplied in another thread and Vegas seems to handle them just fine. For longer projects I think I may still shoot on my DVX. But the prospect of shooting with the GH1 for commercials would really elevate the quality of my work. I just want to make sure it's a feasible alternative.

William_Robinette
05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
Depending on what you are doing it might work out. Make sure you have a solid plan for audio, and your shooting is somewhat "codec friendly". Look at some of the raw files here to see what I mean. Most of the stuff seems to be OK.

FWIW, I am in the exact same position and am torn between this or waiting for Scarlet. I will probably pick this up for the summer and fall and then move on from there.

Oedipax
05-06-2009, 04:20 PM
Will your clients be okay with the form factor? Unless it was a client I already had a good relationship with and they trusted my judgment, I'd feel a bit nervous showing up to a job with a camera that looks like the GH1. Maybe once you get it on a set of rails with matte box and filters and follow focus... This is obviously to say nothing about the GH1's ability to deliver on a technical level, more just the non-tech perception of certain producers and so on.

LizaWitz
05-06-2009, 04:42 PM
Yeah, I suspect clients would be the biggest problem, but if you have a monitor on set you can show them the video quality. Maybe take both cameras initially if it makes sense.

Final Design Studios
05-06-2009, 04:57 PM
I remember showing up to a shoot that the client another shooter for as backup and they took one look at his big Beta JVC cam and then one look at my little DVX and asked if he could do the shooting and I could assist.

These days I'm not too worried about rolling up to a shoot with a small camera. Most of my clients trust me and my work enough to just let me do my thing when it comes to cameras. Now if only they did that for the scripts. :)

Final Design Studios
05-06-2009, 05:01 PM
I did notice the artifacts in the raw footage, but like I said I deliver in SD. I took that footage and shrunk it down to 720x480, you hardly notice it. That and I don't shoot fast moving subjects most of the time.

I was looking at the footage Philip Bloom pulled out of the stock lens and it looked miles better than what the DVX can accomplish, especially when you factor in HD. Without the need for a 35mm adapter I wouldn't have any edge softness or vignetting, that's what I'm REALLY looking forward to.

Ian-T
05-06-2009, 05:06 PM
I say if you are not worried about form factor (like you already mentioned) then you have absolutely nothing to lose getting this cam. Let your work speak for itself.