PDA

View Full Version : Sandy Dirty Look

Dillon Novak
05-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I am shooting at a sand dune for a music video and i was wanting to know how i could make the band/their clothes/ their instruments look sandy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0lo9YfiUmU

like this in the automatic video, is there a certain way?

I know the obvious answer could be tell them to roll around in sand, but is there anything i can do for the equipment that won't ruin their amps and other gear? Like getting stuff a little wet in chosen places and then pouring sand exactly where you want it so it sticks?

Casalen
05-05-2009, 07:49 PM
For equipment I'd consider using slightly moist sand so that it sticks where you put it to begin with, and just avoid the openings. And avoid ocean spray.

jeremytuttle
05-06-2009, 08:53 AM
It looks like they just wore muted earth tones. In wide shots you probably wouldn't even need the sandy look, you could just do some close ups on certain parts of the equipment that you would "dress" with sand (mist with a spray bottle and lightly dust it).

Now if it's windy the day you're shooting, it won't take long for everyone to get covered in dust and yes it will suck for their equipment, which you really only need to worry about the back of amps because that's were they are the most open, you could tap some plastic over the back (buy some rolls of plastic that painters use to cover carpet). I would of course not recommend shooting in the desert when it's windy, it will suck for everyone.

If there is no wind and you can have a generator it might be cool to have a large fan to do some controlled wind gusts in the foreground or background of a wide shot, just by tossing some dust in front of the fan... in theory anyway (avoid the bands eyes of course)

You can check out the "Distressing" thread in this sub section to see how you could make their costumes looked weathered and dusty, like they've been in the desert for a reeeaaaalllly long time.

Dillon Novak
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys i think i've got it now