PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on Cameras

Ben Kayser
05-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Hi, I'm looking to buy a nice camera that is under 1100 dollars. Right now I'm looking at the Cannon HV 30. Any advice?

Ian-T
05-05-2009, 06:15 PM
HV30 is a good cam... The HV40 is coming out...and that has native 24p as opposed to the HV20/30 24p with pulldown. The HV40 will be a lot less problematic in that regards. I have the HV20 myself and it makes beautiful pictures. But I noticed you posted in the GH-1 thread...well... If you can spring a few hundred more...then you could have a cam that would blow the HVXX's away. But you have to look at what type of PC you have... Hopefully it is a robust PC/Mac because editing AVCHD is no walk in the park for slower machines. My suggestion....wait for the GH-1 to arrive.

Nektonic
05-05-2009, 06:33 PM
If I were you I'd go for a used HV20 or HV30 for around 500 to 600 bucks. The HV30 and HV40 are not going to give you any better picture anyways and you'll pay more for them. As Ian-T stated, the HV40 has a native 24p mode, meaning that you won't have to remove pulldown in post. There is an inexpensive plug-in called Cineform NeoScene that allows you to capture the HV20 or HV30 24p footage and remove pulldown while it is capturing. This will save you a ton of time in post, especially if you have a lot of clips. I think NeoScene is around $129. NeoScene also allows you to use a stronger video codec while editing. This is helpful when doing color correction and effects, since HDV is not as resilient to this type of abuse. Don't worry though, you can still edit in HDV and color correct plenty if you so choose.

If shallow depth of field, interchangeable lenses, and low light shooting capabilities are really important to you in addition to 24p, I'd wait for the GH1 and also the rumored Nikon D400. Yes, both of these will be more than 1,100 dollars, but if you are going to be using these for filmmaking it might really be worth it. NeoScene also works with AVC-HD, which is what the GH1 records in. Another plus is that you'll also get a really nice still camera out of a GH1 or Nikon D400 (please be aware that the D400 is still only a rumor at this point, but is supposed to be officially announced later this month or in early June). So in a sense you'll be getting a two-for-one with an video capable DLSR.

Here is the page on NeoScene -- http://www.cineform.com/neoscene/