PDA

View Full Version : 2 Commercials

Nick Harris
05-04-2009, 06:15 PM
Hi everybody,

Here are two commercials produced by my company, Sunspot Pictures.

The first was shot on the HPX500 and graded in Apple Color. It was produced for the Doritos super bowl contest last year.

http://vimeo.com/2822893

The second was shot on the HVX200, and for obvious reasons wouldn't have gained much with the 500. We volunteered our production services to help Nesian Clothing's St. Jude Project: Can Cancer Campaign.

Nesian is donating 50% of each 'Can Cancer' T-shirt sale to fund cancer research. They are trying to raise $1,000,000 by April 2010.

http://vimeo.com/4317743

As always, thanks for watching!

-Nick

xha8
05-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Great commercials! love the first one ha ha

Everts
05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Doritto fingers:
Pretty colors, that's a whole lotta lens.
Its very filmic and retains the edge to edge sharpness.
For now I can only dream. Did you u use a reflector to bounce back some light ?
Nice work

Can Cancer:
I think theire name is a bit confusing but nice spot as well

Nick Harris
05-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Thank you guys, I'm glad you enjoyed them!

For Dorito Fingers, I cut the sun with a double net above the actors. Then using two Shiny boards, one soft side out, the other hard side out, and through a single net each, positioned them so that the key wasn't so completely "toppy" on each of the actors and they had some nice shape to the light on their faces. I also put up a shiny board from behind, hard side out with another single I believe, just to give that hint of an edge (it's most visible in the snap zoom when the actor turns his eye line camera left).

Everything required very little correction in post, until we got to the footage of the old lady. By the time we got to her the sun was a sliver on the horizon. My co-director and my other producing partner both started talking a pickup day as it got darker and darker, but I smiled to myself and assured them the image in the monitor was still fully exposed and even capable of blowing out (I LOVE how sensitive this camera is). The only issue was the light was becoming extremely blue, and there was no time for white balancing.