PDA

View Full Version : Still Images

UKyank
05-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Ok, here's my situation - about 6 months ago I sold my video camera & wanted to get a new still camera as well, began researching for a new one then came across the whole DSLR video option. Read up on it all, and like everyone else here, eagerly awaited for the GH1.

I was excited about the possibility of not having to lug two pieces of equipment for both video & still shots in certain situations. I am by no means a pro, more of a dabbler in video, but still want things to look as best as I can.

My previous still camera was a Canon Rebel and was looking for something to move up to at first, but all in all, i was fairly happy with the images i was getting with that camera, though I did invest in some very good glass.

Would the GH1 be comparable that camera still image wise? & should I keep the glass or sell it for specific 4/3 glass? if I go the GH1 route.

Now if canon would "fix" their 5d Mkii, I think it would be a no brainer to go that route as no question still images are better, and quite frankly, even with its limitations, even its earliest videos Wowed me, whereas I haven't really been all that excited about the GH1's (yes their good, but not Wow good) I've thus far seen, I just don't have the patience or desire to go through all the workaround required for the Mk2 in its current form.

Either way, I have a few months before I need to pick one, so maybe if that fabled canon firmware exists it will be out then & my decision will be easier.

Regards

John Caballero
05-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Tough luck with the new Rebel. The knuckeheads at Canon did it again, now with 20FPS! I have no idea what goes thru their minds during their production meetings, its just amazing. Someday they will get it right. In the meantime all we have to do is wait some more.

artforme
05-04-2009, 09:17 AM
Check out the Dpreview's review on the G1, the still camera sister to the GH1. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg1/

The four-thirds system is a very capable still camera system, one would have to weigh their needs and wants.

daveswan
05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Hi, I guess I'm in a similar position, except I already have a 5D. So, P/Ex my 5D for a 5DII or go GH1 or...?
As you say If Canon would fix the 5DII it would be a no-brainer, ok, the 24-105 is a bit so-so, but my 135 f/2 is sharp enough to shave by, but I'm also thinking of an adapter and maybe Leica R glass, or even Zeiss Cantax. Forget Nikon, If you're going manual via an adapter, get the best.
I think editing the 5DII footage may be a bit easier, since Avid MC3 can pull the QT files in as DNxHD.
Anyway, I think I'll sit tight for the moment and see how PAL GH1 footage looks. Perhaps AP will do a decent test of the movie quality.