PDA

View Full Version : GH1 to features

TripleA
05-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Is it possible to make a festival high quality short or feature film with this camera alone or is it too consumer to be able to shoot a proper movie with?

PaPa
05-04-2009, 07:52 AM
You absolutely can. To make a simple answer.

But if you want to add quality to your production, you will need lighting gear, sound equipment, a good script, art direction, grip equipment, and a dedicated team.

But if your question is more, does the camera alone have the ability to create a caliber of image good enough to meet the demands of Independent cinema, then the answer is yes.

Ian-T
05-04-2009, 08:06 AM
I agree. We have to remember...lesser enabled gear has done this many times in the past. Things are only getting better I think.

TripleA
05-04-2009, 08:10 AM
But if your question is more, does the camera alone have the ability to create a caliber of image good enough to meet the demands of Independent cinema, then the answer is yes.

Thanks a lot that was the question I was trying to ask sorry for being a bit vague about it.

John Caballero
05-04-2009, 08:29 AM
As soon as it is figured out in terms of best settings and optimal image it should be ready for pretty good stuff. So far the images are looking very promising and as we find out more about it should get better. The sharpness and shallow DOF look pretty sweet so far.

TripleA
05-04-2009, 08:55 AM
What are the fps options in this camera?

John Caballero
05-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Check this link, its all there. Dig in and have some fun while you wait for your camera:

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/index.html (http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/index.html)

TripleA
05-04-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks a lot! One last question though, does the avchd require a really fast computer to edit or will my 2.87gb of ram be enough?

John Caballero
05-04-2009, 11:50 AM
This is gonna be the first time for me dealing with this codec and by the looks of it I am gonna need a faster computer myself. i've got to research that aspect myself. Hopefully people with more experience with it will step up and help us figure it out.

Sean Sheridan
05-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Thanks a lot! One last question though, does the avchd require a really fast computer to edit or will my 2.87gb of ram be enough?

2.87gb of ram? That's an odd number. Are you sure you that's the amount of memory in your computer or are we talking processor speed? Regardless, the more the merrier when it comes to video editing, especially AVCHD. And remember, intermediate codecs (ProRes, AIC, etc.) are our friends.

John Caballero
05-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Which brand computer is that? With a PC using Edius 5, Vegas Pro, Pinnacle Studio, Premiere you can edit natively without transcoding. You can also do it in Premiere for Macs.

TripleA
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
This is the information I get from my computer: HP Pavillion A6230n, 400gb hard drive, 3072mb system memory, memory: 2.87 gb, 2.80 ghz, 32-bit operating system, amd athlon 64 x2 dual-core processor 5600+, nvidia geforece 6150 se graphics, and its vista home premium. I was planning on using premiere or avid but if others will work better ill certainly opt for those.

Kholi
05-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Hmm let me ponder on this a bit...

So back like two or three years ago (i'm living in the past) I shot this music video for a festival on the original HVX200 and Original Redrock M2 Adapter. It was mostly outdoors stuff and very little indoors.

The stipulations of this festival were that ALL entries were to be screened at the Kodak Theater. For those who don't know, the Kodak Theater's screen is a 60 Footer with several levels of seating.

HVX200 and a 60FT screen? ... No way...

But we did not shoot @ 1080. If I remember right, we shot just about everything at 720/24pN because we didn't have the time to mess around with cards. it was run and gun with no permits, we just had to get it done.

You can imagine how frightened I was to see this combination being projected on such a MASSIVE screen. Especially the Redrock, which was soft as a Jelly Fish spine.

I'll never forget how the look on my face felt when I saw the footage that large. This run and gun effort with just a bounce card and some shop lights. It was incredible. And by incredible I mean totally awesome.

being that the Gh-1 will probably resolve MUCH more detail than the HVX200 Combo, doesn't have to go through a screen, much better in lowlight even with the Kit lens strapped to it....

EVEN if you have to shoot everything at 720/60P... @ 1650.00 for the camera, lens, battery and an Extreme III SDHC 4GB Card...

The camera is no longer the excuse.

LizaWitz
05-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Is it possible to make a festival high quality short or feature film with this camera alone or is it too consumer to be able to shoot a proper movie with?

Look at it this way-- Robert Rodriguez made el Mariachi with a 16mm film camera and often using only one take. Desperado he made with a less capable (I believe) HD camera and then cut the frame down from 16:9 to 2:1, by dropping the tops and bottoms of the frame. .... and he was really happy.

I think you could totally make a movie with this camera, and if your movie is such that the limitations of this camera are an advantage for the purpose of the movie could result in a really great movie.

I think this brings the level of competent tool down to a price range that makes it possible for a much wider group of people to make movies.

At this point with this tool, its all about everything else-- the script, performance, and other production quality choices.....

Course that's assuming there's not some defect that hasn't surfaced yet.

Park Edwards
05-04-2009, 02:52 PM
yeah, but now we're going to have more crappy movies out there.

ChipG
05-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Yep, just think of all the crappy home videos we will now start seeing, millions more!

Boz
Desperado he made with a less capable (I believe) HD camera and then cut the frame down from 16:9 to 2:1, by dropping the tops and bottoms of the frame. .... and he was really happy.

Sorry, I can't let this slip by. "Desperado" was shot on 35mm film by (now Oscar winning) DP Guillermo Navarro. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0622897/) Perhaps you mean "Once Upon a Time In Mexico", which was shot by Rodriguez himself on a pair of Sony F900's?

Anyway, I agree. A full feature could be and probably will be shot on this camera. I would just avoid "Bourne" style camera shake (which doesn't really appeal to me anyway).

I already have my workflow worked out...

1. Shoot mostly at 1080-24P -- then strip out 60i wrapper and resize to 720P
2. Shoot high intensity action at 720-60/30P (I still wish there was a 720-24P mode!)
3. Edit / Grade / Finish in 720-24P.

I'm not too worried about showing my stuff on a 60' screen, but it's good to know 720P will most likely hold up at that size. :)

AdrianF
yeah, but now we're going to have more crappy movies out there.

I think we will have thousands more crappy movies, as well as loads more good ones. It's finding the good stuff that might get even harder.

TripleA
05-04-2009, 03:50 PM
So the issue about my computer capabilities I'm still a little worried.

PappasArts
05-04-2009, 04:02 PM
I think the peak of the pipe dream fimmakers hit highest a few years ago. Late 90's into the GreenLight project era. Those day's everyone and their dog was making or trying to make films. The DVX100 was the tipping point camera if you had a story to tell. You could shoot with no distracting motion issues. HD, like on the HVX followed and in my opinion that's where motion and definition blurred. No longer did the lack of image quality were the distraction in 24fps projects. The HVX, which I had owned and seen projected on a full screen 35mm transfer print at Kodak was the proof for me. We now had adequate resolution to go with the 24fps rate. Today, the super indie frequency of pipe dreaming filmmakers has lowered. I think it goes in waves personally. Technology convinces people that now they can make the movie, however shortly following a person learns that no camera makes a movie anymore than a paintbrush paint's it's own masterpiece. This wall people come to face that it's more than dreaming and actual hard work wakes many people back into reality. As the old adage goes; just cause you can buy expensive medical instruments, doesn't make you a neurosurgeon. If the director and his story is strong, it can be made on any camera; however DP's are another thing. DP's strive to know their craft and technology so they can be bring the directors vision as close as possible to fruition. It's their job to merge the arts and technology to a seamless point essentially. I find DP's to go far deeper to learn about color depth, lenses, latitude and now codecs etc with cameras than a lot of directors/story tellers are willing to go or want to go. Prim-directive for directors; tell a good story. 100% Director/story tellers just have this internal flame that haunts them to get that story out of their mind no matter what. Those types; no camera is the limitation. This is the same for writers. Good writers don't care if their book or novella gets published, they just need to get that story out of their mind so they can have a physical resolve with it. Most writers I know, write everyday to just write. Anyhow, the technology has been quite cheap for years now; used or on the new market, that anyone if desired could clear their mind of that luring epic that won't go away for sub 2k and 1k.

So the GH1 or any camera a like current, doesn't really change much for those that have a burning story to tell that we haven't had in the past years to use.

Michael Pappas
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts
http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Pappas/573417404
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
http://www.PappasArts.com
CONTACT VIA AOL INSTANT MESSENGER
AT { PAPPASARTS2 }

Park Edwards
05-04-2009, 04:05 PM
So the issue about my computer capabilities I'm still a little worried.

It'll be alright. My setup is almost similar to yours other than the OS. It won't edit in realtime, probably have to render to scrub through your clips, but other than that, you're good.

LizaWitz
05-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry, I can't let this slip by. "Desperado" was shot on 35mm film by (now Oscar winning) DP Guillermo Navarro. (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0622897/) Perhaps you mean "Once Upon a Time In Mexico", which was shot by Rodriguez himself on a pair of Sony F900's?

I misrememberated. Once Upon a Time In Mexico, which, hopefully coincidentally was his worst movie.