PDA

View Full Version : Aliasing, Rolling Shutter, Banding ...

Finster
05-03-2009, 03:05 PM
This was posted in one of the Panasonic GH1 threads ...

The most important things Iīve got so far (regarding the GH1).

the good:

- full manual control of shutter speed, aperture, and iso
- AF with the kit lens works excellent
- noise in lowlight shots is barely or not at all existent (even with the kit lens)
- lowlight footage with 1600 iso looks still relatively good
- skew + jello in a very minor degree - comparable with RED cameras

the bad:

- some aliasing + stair stepping (more in 1080/24p than in 720/60p)
- waves, stripes under fluorescent light - you canīt get rid of it (in 720/60p it exist not as strongly as in 1080/24p)
- crushing blacks
- in some shots banding is pretty obvious - mainly when the cam pans

I'm still on the fence regarding the GH1 vs. 5D2. Thus, I'm wondering ... does the 5D2 have a lot of these same issues: aliasing, waves, rolling shutter, crushed blacks, banding, etc.??????

The only "issues" I ever read about concerning the 5DM2 is its lack of manual control and no 24p.

Just curious.

Pierre N Petit
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
Aliasing and banding is pretty bad. Also it is almost impossible to get a usable hand held shot unless your a yoga master and can stay completely still. Then again i just had the camera for a week so i'm still experimenting. Once you work within the limitations of the camera you can get pretty good results.
If you do photography....the 5d is 22 megapixels of gold.

Lee Wilson
05-04-2009, 04:40 AM
does the 5D2 have a lot of these same issues: aliasing, waves, rolling shutter, crushed blacks, banding, etc.??????

5D2 has a rolling shutter, a little worse than the GH1 but not as bad as the D90 - controllable with correct technique.

5D2 has aliasing - it can be problematic, not a lot you can do about it other than avoid scenes with fine horizontals.

No banding to speak of. Crushed blacks are not really a problem either.

Pulsing/flickering lights ("waves, stripes under fluorescent light") is a problem, especially if you live in PAL land - expect to throw away a few ruined shots every now and again.

The 5D2 has a few problems of it's own not shared with the GH1 - like losing all your hard won settings each and every time you record a clip - which is either a bizarre and thoughtless oversight or towering punitive malevolence from Canon.

Finster
05-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Thanks. I'm still on the fence, but your feedback is helpful.

At this point in time I'm thinking I'll buy the GH1 in June unless Canon comes out with firmware update for the 5DM2 before then.

Kholi
05-04-2009, 10:46 AM
5D2 has a rolling shutter, a little worse than the GH1 but not as bad as the D90 - controllable with correct technique.

5D2 has aliasing - it can be problematic, not a lot you can do about it other than avoid scenes with fine horizontals.

No banding to speak of. Crushed blacks are not really a problem either.

Pulsing/flickering lights ("waves, stripes under fluorescent light") is a problem, especially if you live in PAL land - expect to throw away a few ruined shots every now and again.

The 5D2 has a few problems of it's own not shared with the GH1 - like losing all your hard won settings each and every time you record a clip - which is either a bizarre and thoughtless oversight or towering punitive malevolence from Canon.

Mark II Still spits out a prettier 1080 image in the end. I'm pretty jealous but I can't go back to lack of manual control. Call me silly/sissy!

The GH-1 has horrid aliasing as well. It makes me want to cry just a little bit.

Banding was actually a settings issue, I'll produce some clips to show that, but I think it's on the level with MKii.

All in all, it's not an easy choice still. Mark II is killer, man. Just llook at all the work being done. Manual Controls will up the anti for sure.

Finster
05-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Manual Controls will up the anti for sure.

That's what I'm holding out for. Canon has four weeks!

Or perhaps Nikon has another card to play? The D400 perhaps? :grin:

Lee Wilson
05-04-2009, 01:20 PM
The GH-1 has horrid aliasing as well.

I've not seen any yet, is there a possibility that we could solve it with some clever post trickery or does it look beyond redemption ?

Kholi
05-04-2009, 02:08 PM
I've not seen any yet, is there a possibility that we could solve it with some clever post trickery or does it look beyond redemption ?

Man, maybe i'm just being REALLY picky but I am terrified of straight lines with this camera. LoL.

However, in 720P it seems to be rectified? In fact, 720p Pretty much owns the GH-1 all around.

But I'd say the Mark II and GH-1 are on the level as far as aliasing goes, and just about overall image, man. With the slight and well deserved nod going to the Mark II for the cleaner, more robust image. Not sure why, it's not the DOF or FOV but just the overall image rocks really hardcore.

It's just down to what you want for your work, both will be able to achieve incredible results on the thinnest dime in the right hands.