PDA

View Full Version : AVCHD to P2 DVCPRO HD Transcoder

Norbert
05-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Looking for a cheap way to work with AVCHD on PPro CS3. I tried the AVCHD to P2 DVCPRO HD Transcoder, found here: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm

The files imports just fine but it will not let me chose output or process anything. I tried both m2ts and mts files straight from the camera (posted here on the forum) at both 1080/24p and 720/60p. Nothing works.

It might just work with PAL footage but it's a bit early for that yet.

Does anyone else have the same problem?

dcloud
05-04-2009, 05:05 AM
its probably bec its not supported.
with the 24p in 60i and all

Osslund
05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm also looking in on how to work with AVCHD files and how to transcode them to an Avid workflow.

I downloaded the AVCHD->MXF transcoder from Panasonic and actually got the transcode proces to work. At first it didn't work, I just got an error message at the end of each transcoding, but once I changed some parameters it did transcode.
It was a straight, I guess, transcoding from a GH1 AVCHD file to MXF.

I'm very familiar with MXF workflow with the HVX200 and Avid, and in theory it should work flawless once in a MXF container. But Avid couldn't compli to the files once imported.
What did work was to play the MXF-files in P2 Viewer. Worked flawless.
It seams the problem is with the framerate because Avid is picky when it comes to fps.
I'll try more once I get my GH1. It isn't released in Sweden yet...

Second try.

I imported the MXF-files into AE and it worked! I'm not sure what res the original files where since I took them from another user. But the transcoded MXF-files are in 960x720 59,94fps res. And finally, once I started a 720p59,94 project in Avid it worked!
I presume the original files where in 960x720 res. I'll try some 1080 files next.

Robert M Wright
05-11-2009, 06:12 PM
If you can work with XVID encoded AVIs, you can transcode the AVCHD files with MediaCoder (freeware). Set quantization to 1, use I frames only, and you have a poor man's Cineform.

jamesc
05-12-2009, 12:38 PM
Have you upgraded to CS3 3.1?

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3812

Park Edwards
05-12-2009, 05:25 PM
If you can work with XVID encoded AVIs, you can transcode the AVCHD files with MediaCoder (freeware). Set quantization to 1, use I frames only, and you have a poor man's Cineform.

does it remove pulldown? and does it lower the quality?

Robert M Wright
05-13-2009, 06:27 AM
MediaCoder doesn't remove pulldown (that I'm aware of). Of course, transcoding with any codec that uses a lossy compression method "lowers quality" (including DVCPRO HD, Cineform, Canopus HQ, etc.). Setting quantization to 1 with XVID does appear (at least to my eye) to be essentially visually lossless.

rotarychicken
01-04-2011, 10:14 AM
I know you posted this a year or two ago... but do you still have a copy of that transcoder?

For some reason, panasonic stopped hosting it as of November 26, 2010. Days before I got my avccam... I need it to make this video more cooperative with my TV station's older version of edius... Thanks for your help!

mr bill
01-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Used my GH13 for the first time yesterday, and did a test import of some avchd files into an sd project in avid media composer 5.0.3. Straight import, couldn't have been easier (PAL 1080p 25fps, lpowell hi-reliability patch).

Seyr
01-25-2011, 08:43 PM
I know you posted this a year or two ago... but do you still have a copy of that transcoder?

For some reason, panasonic stopped hosting it as of November 26, 2010. Days before I got my avccam... I need it to make this video more cooperative with my TV station's older version of edius... Thanks for your help!

Any luck with that? I've run into the same problem and can't find that software anywhere. :undecided

Seyr
01-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Hey edit man, I have been trying to find an alternative to the dnxhd to work with .mts in avid express pro and tryed your method. I love that this makes the files 2x the size instead of dnxhd's 10x, but avid won't accept the file with this message: "The import file is not a supported xdcam mfx file" did you get this, or am I missing a codec or something? I am running an older version of AVID - 5.2.4. Any light you could shed would be most appreciated: I have been hacking at this problem for a while, with a big project I am making no headway on!

-Seyr

Seyr
01-25-2011, 09:54 PM
I downloaded the AVCHD->MXF transcoder from Panasonic and actually got the transcode proces to work. At first it didn't work, I just got an error message at the end of each transcoding, but once I changed some parameters it did transcode.
It was a straight, I guess, transcoding from a GH1 AVCHD file to MXF.

Hey edit man, I have been trying to find an alternative to the dnxhd to work with .mts in avid express pro and tryed your method. I love that this makes the files 2x the size instead of dnxhd's 10x, but avid won't accept the file with this message: "The import file is not a supported xdcam mfx file" did you get this, or am I missing a codec or something? I am running an older version of AVID - 5.2.4. Any light you could shed would be most appreciated: I have been hacking at this problem for a while, with a big project I am making no headway on!

-Seyr

rotarychicken
02-04-2011, 02:52 PM
Any luck with that? I've run into the same problem and can't find that software anywhere. :undecided

No.... I ended up downloading "Free Video Converter" by Koyotesoft. It's pretty flexible... but I still wish I could find that transcoder. I don't understand why they'd take it down.

eyeBOX
02-24-2011, 09:31 AM
Avchd to dvcprohd would be awesome. Does anyone know of a transcoder that does this (free)? I have an older power pc with fcp5. Log and transfer wasn't yet available. Moreover dvcprohd would play nice with my hvx.

Thanks!

rotarychicken
03-13-2011, 07:43 PM
http://community.avid.com/forums/t/93097.aspx

It seems someone still has a copy of the precious transcoder... rejoice!