PDA

View Full Version : 5D Mark2 or GH1 best for my work???

kingsta
05-02-2009, 09:07 PM
Hello I'm a music Artist and good video effects editor getting an major distribution deal for single. I want the closest look to a Mtv's Hiphop music videos as possible (the Hype Williams popy colorful look). From what Im seeing it looks like the canon's colors and sharp clear resolution looks the best especially in low light. I'm shoot for HD web videos mainly. Most shots I will be going far is close and wide with very shallow depth of field. I hear canon has alot of works and issues but I will deal with it to get the look I need... My budget is 3500$ what lenses and Camera do you guys recommend???? I will purchase the Canon tommorrow if you guys recommend Canon and start practicing for the real shooting date June 1st.

The lenses are a main concern because I dont know anything about picking the correct lense for the best close up but wide shot with shallow depth. reply soon.. thx

-kin

DavidNJ
05-03-2009, 02:22 AM
Budget including tripod, lights and grip equipment? Actually, the budget says it all. It is barely enough for the Canon with the kit lens.

Additionally, the manual controls on the GH1 will make it a lot easier to get what you are intending to get. That said, the automatic settings on the Canon seem to work very well.

Questions:

1. If you are the on camera talent, who will be shooting the video?

2. Is this for one video or are you making many?

kingsta
05-03-2009, 05:40 AM
Questions:

1. If you are the on camera talent, who will be shooting the video?

Yes me and a member will be the talent shooters in the video.Maybe I will have a extra person with a reflector.

2. Is this for one video or are you making many?

Mainly only this video first and then after this video I will do promos and group interviews, shorts and things and maybe 1-3 more 1-1/2 min sample videos to submit to the Record company for pre viz bigger budget projects.

This video on Vimeo here shows the exact colors + depth of field I'm going for:
http://vimeo.com/3152692

This video on Vimeo shows the exact depth of field I'm going for:
http://vimeo.com/4296620

The lenses I will be renting or will just add to the budget and buy are Canon EF 85 mm f/1,2 L USM II Canon EF 16-35 mm f/2,8 L USM II

What do you think??? thx again

DavidNJ
05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
Any of the larger frame camera's will get the depth of field. However, that first video clip probably used lights more expensive that the GH1. And the sound would be recorded elsewhere.

The post started that you are a music artist. Are you in front of or behind the camera?

kingsta
05-03-2009, 09:54 AM
Yes I am the talent and me an a partner will take turnes shooting.. Also I read the comments on the first video he says he used no special lights just reflectors. I have a few location with strong basement light already.. Do you think the lighting is much more that just reflectors?? thx

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
05-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Yes I am the talent and me an a partner will take turnes shooting.. Also I read the comments on the first video he says he used no special lights just reflectors. I have a few location with strong basement light already.. Do you think the lighting is much more that just reflectors?? thx

It's impossible to know just from viewing an online video how it was shot, but the motorcycle video (the 1st video) could have been shot using only available practical light and very careful use of reflectors.

The person who created the video says in his comments that's what he did, so maybe it's true. Looking at the video it's absolutely possible, but that's not to say it would be "easy" for a novice shooter to achieve the same results. I don't know your production team's skill level.

(The 2nd video, the one with the band, appears to have used at least some lighting in addition to the available light. I can't tell with any certainty what the additional lighting might be from just looking at the video.)

More importantly, whoever shot the motocycle video obviously has lots of talent and experience at least as a photographer. I don't know how long they've been shooting video. But their results say more about their skill than their apparent choice of camera.

With some wrestling, a 5DM2 combined with a fast lens is capable of recording stunning HD video in relatively dim available light. The combination of a fast lens and the 5DM2's large sensor can yield extreme shallow depth of field.

The GH1's sensor isn't as large as the one in the 5DM2. However, the GH1 sensor is about twice the size of those in pro 2/3" video cams. As Philip Bloom & others have demonstrated, when the GH1 is used with a fast lens it's capable of recording remarkable HD video even in dim available light, and this video will have relatively shallow depth of field. The GH1 appears to be not quite as light sensitive, or capable of quite as shallow a DOF, compared to the 5DM2 when used with equally fast, wide open lenses. But the GH1 appears to be more capable in these regards when compared to most "traditional" prosumer video camcorders.

However, hardware alone is no guarantee you'll achieve the look you're after. It takes lots of talent to pull off what the shooter achieved in the motocycle video referenced above. Best of luck with your project!

DavidNJ
05-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Ditto...if you have a still camera may want to try achieving the lighting lighting affect you are looking for. As Peter said, the first video had a fairly complex lighting. If it was only available light (and in the video it is clear he disabled some of the overheads) he was very talented.

You could use a 3D modeling package (Blender is free) to experiment with lighting on the computer. Frame Forge 3D lets you play with camera positioning as you build your storyboards. I like it because you can't make a shot you can't actually take. Hand drawn, it is easy to make a storyboard frame that is impossible to achieve because of camera position of FOV.

kingsta
05-03-2009, 05:41 PM
Thx guys for the advice. Lastly do you think I should buy the lenses or rent them??

cinebuddy
05-03-2009, 06:13 PM
I have a 5d mk II, I'd get the GH1 its cheaper, comes with a nice kit lens and produces a nice image. You'd have a thousand left to play with on top of it all.