PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 inch vs 1/3 inch

ryaninoz
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM
I am looking at purchasing a HPX 300 very soon. I've always used 2/3 inch ccd cams so I'm not really familiar with the differences between 1/2 inch and 1/3 inch in relation to DOF.

I've tested the camera, I shot off the shoulder with it and panned and zoomed wildly and I did notice some considerable skew in the VF but on playback it was only really noticable in the long lens fast panning shots, ( which isn't my style of shooting anyway ). I can also get a EX3 which has 1/2 inch ( but has an inferior codec ) so the issue for me is the difference between 1/2 inch and 1/3 inch is it a noticable diference in terms of DOF ?

Barry_Green
05-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Not much. There's a difference, yes, but it's not night and day. Either is going to be a significant change in DOF from what you're used to with a 2/3" camera.

You can get shallow DOF with a 1/3" camera by using a very long telephoto lens; look at Philip Bloom's HPX300 footage. But any skew issues will be exaggerated by the more extreme telephoto positions, so just use good judgement.

You can also get a cine DOF adapter like the JVC unit, which will give you shallower-than-2/3" DOF, or a soon-to-be-forthcoming relay lens for a 35mm adapter, which will give you much-shallower-than-2/3" DOF.

Cees Mutsaers
05-02-2009, 11:58 PM
This remark I do not understand : "....... I did notice some considerable skew in the VF but on playback it was only really noticable ..........." Is "what you see is what you get" not true anymore :huh: In other words : I always asked myself if you do not see the skew in the VF is it than certain it is also not recorded ??