PDA

View Full Version : Jello in sports videos

fuzzybat
05-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Hi All,

I have the hv30 -- actually bought it a few months ago due to good reviews. However, now that the gh1 exist (well, it least in japan). Do people think that the GH1 is good enough that I can sell my hv30 without losing anything? I sometimes take video footage of my rec basketball team. The hv30 was pretty good at capturing movements. Now with the GH1, since there's a lot of movement in the games, will I be seeing "jello"? Just asking because the gh1 is expensive and selling the hv30 would help in keep cost lower, but I don't want to regret it later..

Thanks all

ullanta
05-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Focus will be a lot more critical with the GH1!

fuzzybat
05-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Focus will be a lot more critical with the GH1!

Well, this is what I am imagining. If I understand this correctly, Jello is introduced when the camera is shaking to fast -- the "frames" can't be captured fast enough hence the distortion. If players are moving fast enough, I assume you would also get really bad distortions. See the attached file.

For the HV30. Since the video footage is only for coaching purposes, I just leave a wide dept of field and I don't really "focus" for say.. :-) Its located up in the stands so its gets a bird eye view of the action.

It would suck if I got the GH1 and I get "gumby" style players in video.

LizaWitz
05-01-2009, 07:37 PM
You can always stop down the aperture to get the maximum depth of field. If the camera isn't moving (eg: its on sticks) then I don't think you'll have any jello problems. Fast moving players might have a little bit of skew in, say, a bat swing, but you'd probably be hard pressed to really see it.

Shooting at 60fps probably would be fine.

On the left picture the curve of the bat looks like skew, but it could also be just due to motion blur, the one on the right looks all to be motion blur.