PDA

View Full Version : GH1 Accesories

Gabriel Bordas
04-30-2009, 06:25 AM
Hello,

What external battery an HDD recomend for large sesion recording like socials events?

Thankīs

Gabriel Bordas DP
www.terravisionpictures.com
gabriel@terravisionpictures.com

LizaWitz
04-30-2009, 06:36 AM
What external battery an HDD recomend for large sesion recording like socials events?

You can get SDHC cards up to 32GB, and the camera comes with a "battery adapter" which is basically a module shaped like the battery that plugs into the battery charger so you can run the camera from the wall current.

Gabriel Bordas
04-30-2009, 06:43 AM
Thankīs Liza

The recording time itīs limited by the battery live?

LizaWitz
04-30-2009, 07:36 AM
The recording time itīs limited by the battery live?

Right, there's no artificial limit on how long you can record. So, you can shoot until the battery runs out or the card is full.

Ruzo
04-30-2009, 08:09 AM
Right, there's no artificial limit on how long you can record. So, you can shoot until the battery runs out or the card is full.

Not according to Philip Bloom. The limit seems to be 30 minutes. Check his blog.

Michael Olsen
04-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Not according to Philip Bloom. The limit seems to be 30 minutes. Check his blog.

How odd, considering Kholi recorded for significantly longer than 30 minutes...62 minutes, actually...

divide
04-30-2009, 08:14 AM
According to Kholi, you can go way beyond 30min.

edit: Michael was faster than me !

Ruzo
04-30-2009, 08:20 AM
Here is a direct quote from Philip Bloom's blog:

"...Not sure of the max recording time. A 30 minute counter counts down as soon as you hit record so maybe that is the max? Just checked with Panny, confirmed Max recording time is 29 minutes!!!"

Who's right?

FatDaddy
04-30-2009, 08:25 AM
I think Kholi had variable bit rate on by accident. Not sure if he figured out what happen when his recording went long, but Barry said it was not the highest datarate...

Michael Olsen
04-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Unless I'm simply incorrect, the highest quality mode on the camera for video (named FHD) uses the variable bit rate.

wilhelmson
04-30-2009, 08:49 AM
Could it be the case that Kholi uses the Japanese version (no limit), while Philip has the EU model (restricted)?

EDIT: I should probably add that I have no idea whether the EU model really is restricted or not. I vaguely recall having read something about a 30 minute restriction...

Michael Olsen
04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Could it be the case that Kholi uses the Japanese version (no limit), while Philip has the EU model (restricted)?

It's possible. Since Mr. Bloom's camera is a pre-production model it's also possible it has some different firmware.

ryansheffer
04-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Philip Bloom admitted that he didn't read the manual. I have a feeling that he had a card in his camera that would only go to 30 minutes. Kholi actually tested how long it would run.

wilhelmson
04-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Yeah, I can't find anything about a 30 minute EU limitation so it is very possible I just dreamt it.

LizaWitz
04-30-2009, 11:25 AM
I've read on the panasonic website that the you can shoot up to 120 minutes of video *on the battery*. There's no mention of a fixed time limit.

Many people have claimed that there are taxes based on how long a camera can record video in europe. This is probably the reason the Philip is reporting 30 minutes. Or, maybe its because his card had only enough capacity for 30 minutes?

At any rate, we have a first hand report of recording more than 30 minutes.

Variable Bit Rate isn't an option, its intrinsic in the H.264 codec, and is part of how it is able to be more efficient than other codecs-- it can optimize the data spent on frames that have a heavier compression load and save it on frames that don't.

So, all the "bitrate" settings are really average bitrate, and at all quality levels the bitrate should vary....

ChipG
04-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Does this camera take the same battery as the G1? If not anyone know the battery model or part #?

ChipG
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
I found them at B&H for $69.95 each.

Kholi
04-30-2009, 01:39 PM
I think Kholi had variable bit rate on by accident. Not sure if he figured out what happen when his recording went long, but Barry said it was not the highest datarate...

There's no changing the BitRate. If the camera is static and not recording much you WILL exceed the 30Minute time. That's a definitely.

I was in 1080/24P at the moment, there was no mistake about it.

Kholi
04-30-2009, 01:40 PM
Philip Bloom admitted that he didn't read the manual. I have a feeling that he had a card in his camera that would only go to 30 minutes. Kholi actually tested how long it would run.

Exactly. and it was DEFINITELY in Full HD mode (FHD = 1080/24P).

The Counter at the bottom says 30 Minutes for sure, but I ran it WAY beyond 30Minutes on a single continuous recording. I dunno what it's doing but it sure as hell went near to 62 minutes. It was like 61 and some change on a 4GB Sandisk Extreme III 30mb/s SDHC card

Gabriel Bordas
04-30-2009, 02:09 PM
I must to preapare a rock-solid kit for social eventīs type of shooting.

My list of shoping:
1. cheap shoulder mount
2. external HDD as master footage and 32Gb card as back-up
3. External battery conected to the camera adapter
4. LCD hood
5. XLR sound deck (BeachTek DXA-5D ?)

All the rest accesories (microphone, light, filters, mattebox, notebook) whe already have.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Yeah, I can't find anything about a 30 minute EU limitation so it is very possible I just dreamt it.

Anyone who'd like to get an instant headache is invited to read the footnotes which appear at the very END of this Panasonic document:
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/popup/sd_memory_card/gh1.html

The wording there seems (?) to say Europeans are fortunate in that they are able to conduct their on-camera business in 30 minutes or less. :shocked:

Or, there's always a possibility the wording in the footnotes is just an example of Japanese-to-English mangling. Not that anything like that has ever happened in the history of consumer electronics! :happy:

Or, if European GH1 cams really are limited to a maximum recording time length shorter than the non-European GH1, then it begs the question: What's up with that?

LizaWitz
04-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Or, if European GH1 cams really are limited to a maximum recording time length shorter than the non-European GH1, then it begs the question: What's up with that?

The europeans have failed to contain the evil tendencies in their government, consequently Panasonic has made an adjustment to the product to avoid having their profits stolen.

Anyway, in the main chart it reports that FHD recording time is 4h on a 32GB card.

The footnote confirms the 30 minute issue is europe only.

Excellent find!

And yet, despite this info also being present in other locations (EG: the 2 hour recording on battery time) I expect that for the next 3 months we will see repeated assertions by people that the camera is only capable of 30 minute recording.

piet meersschaut
05-02-2009, 03:15 AM
According to Kholi, the HDMI does not output a live signal. Does it have a composite out (via mini jack or D-plug) so we can hook up a monitor?

Thx. Piet.

SonicStates
05-02-2009, 06:44 AM
El Cheapo shoulder mount maybe coming out of the closet for this little camera...getting excited for 15 bucks!!!

DonalDuc
05-02-2009, 07:22 AM
According to Kholi, the HDMI does not output a live signal. Does it have a composite out (via mini jack or D-plug) so we can hook up a monitor?

My G1 has live picture - connecting video to TV (or PC for capture :Drogar-Happy(DBG): ), using LCD display, pressing waste basket for one second or two ... voila, there is live picture. I think GH1 is similar.

Look my "movies" with G1

http://www.vimeo.com/4206751

http://www.vimeo.com/4206790

SonicStates
05-02-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm gonna give that a shot

ryansheffer
05-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Wait - you're saying the G1 has live HDMI using that method or only live USB. Either way is promising but HDMI is much more immediately usable.

Late
05-02-2009, 07:59 AM
Anyone who'd like to get an instant headache is invited to read the footnotes which appear at the very END of this Panasonic document:
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/popup/sd_memory_card/gh1.html

The wording there seems (?) to say Europeans are fortunate in that they are able to conduct their on-camera business in 30 minutes or less. :shocked:

Or, there's always a possibility the wording in the footnotes is just an example of Japanese-to-English mangling. Not that anything like that has ever happened in the history of consumer electronics! :happy:

In Europe video and still cameras are taxed differently. The hybrid cameras, which take both stills and video, didn't fit their old system so they came up with this silly recording time limit.

Nighthawk
05-02-2009, 10:40 AM
Hey Sonic, did you have a chance to try DonalDuc's G1 HDMI solution? Live HDMI would make a lot of us very happy.

I wonder if there's other tricks in the G1 manual seeing how an English manual for the GH1 is tough to find.