PDA

View Full Version : GH1 Dynamic Range Results (in video mode) & other stuff

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 02:12 PM
We did a Dynamic range test (thanks to Ryan Walters) on the GH1 in video mode @ Iso 200 and 400 Using Sekonic Profiling software. (also set to lowest contrast setting with Noise reduction at minimum)

Here is what we found:

In video mode, the camera has about 6 stops usable dynamic range, there are about 2 stops in the blacks that you can eek out below that but because of the compression scheme going on- they get compressed out. ( In still photo mode, there is probably 8-9 stops total)

This is a conservative test and you may experience more DR in real world scenes. This same test puts the RED at 8.5-9.5 usable stops.

What does this mean?

Well first, dont believe some of the dynamic range values people throw around about X camera having Y- stops dynamic range. Most of the time you wont actually get those results as they are extremely optimistic! Its been my expeirence so far that in video mode, the GH1 has about the same amount of usuable dynamic range as an HVX200- which isn't great but its certainly workable.

The great news is that middle grey is perfectly balanced in the middle of the dynamic range (unlike some cameras which clip way faster in the highlights than in the shadows) So you can expect to get an image with a pleasing contrast and middle tone that wont need a lot of work to get looking pretty. The saturation of the tones on the camera are also very "panasonic like"- so the Reds and yellows look great.

Based on what I have seen so far, and if the audio quality is good with an external mic, this is quite possibly the most perfect low-profile documentary camera ever made. The images look great, the manual control works like a charm, the auto focus works amazingly (even in video mode), and heck I even like the 14-140mm! Even using high ISO's in video mode look great- something about the compression really cleans up the noise at high ISO levels. Did I forget to mention the EVF is HD res? And the camera has 24p!?... OK I WILL STOP.

I can see this camera being used so many ways for corporate, documentary, and indie gorillas (like Mr. SABI).

Bottom line I dig it! HANDS DOWN Best "Video DSLR" out yet, other camera manufactures should take note on this cameras dedication to its video feature... There is really way too much I like about this camera- Especially the ability to put nearly ANY LENS on the camera (because of the m4/3 mount).

Below are a few grabs- Some with the 14-140 and some with a canon 50mm f1.8 with a m4/3 adapter. (pardon my MUGSHOT by the way I just thought it was good to see the detail for you pixel peepers) these are second generation from prores and then JPEG compression... so its a worst case scenario- but still, they look pretty darn good to me!

I will shoot some footage later- I dont want to post crap! ; )

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 02:13 PM
P.s. that shot in the wood shop is at iso800.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 02:15 PM
Oh and noise reduction levels were set to minimum, along with sharpening.

codeloss
04-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the report, Hunter, I'm looking forward to seeing some footage.

ISO 800 looks great. Did you test ISO 1600 with video? Were the results usable?

ChipG
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks Hunter! Do you have any plans to test the audio? Shotgun, LAV for interview etc?

Solomon Chase
04-29-2009, 02:26 PM
Hunter, thanks for the test. Been waiting for this one...

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 02:32 PM
About audio... its not a standard sized pin so Im guessing some sort of adapter needs to be used. I didn't try it out.

Daniel L.
04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Hunter,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do the test. Really looking forward to some video samples. Would be especially useful to see it side by side with another camera, HVX200 is fine.

stephenvv
04-29-2009, 02:43 PM
Great test - the noise levels are what's interesting here since in real world, noise is what kills DR more than anything.

daveswan
04-29-2009, 02:45 PM
6 Stops DR. Hmmmm........For comparison what does the 5DII come in at? If the GH1 gives no more DR than the HVX (Which I already have), I may wait for Scarlet. Damn I really don't want to be spending that kind of money.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks for the report, Hunter, I'm looking forward to seeing some footage.

ISO 800 looks great. Did you test ISO 1600 with video? Were the results usable?

Yes, ISO 1600 is great. Very Clean. The only downside is that the image gets softer in the high ISO settings. Both examples below are iso1600 with noise reduction at minimum.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 02:52 PM
6 Stops DR. Hmmmm........For comparison what does the 5DII come in at? If the GH1 gives no more DR than the HVX (Which I already have), I may wait for Scarlet. Damn I really don't want to be spending that kind of money.

The 5Dm2 has around 7-8 in video mode. I personally think making a big deal about dynamic range is funny- I love the look of reversal film and it has hardly any dynamic range. Its how you use it- also keep in mind an image with a lot of dynamic range usually needs post processing to get it looking proper. Contrast is a good thing.

ChipG
04-29-2009, 02:54 PM
About audio... its not a standard sized pin so Im guessing some sort of adapter needs to be used. I didn't try it out.

An xlr to 1/8th adapter?

Isaac_Brody
04-29-2009, 02:55 PM
Wow, ISO 1600 that's actually usable!

Thanks Hunter for posting your results, can't wait to see some footage.

John Caballero
04-29-2009, 03:00 PM
Looking very, very, very good. Thanks Hunter. You and Barry rock. The "softness" looks very sweet though on the ISO 1600 grabs.

Kholi
04-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Hell yeah, Hunter!!! Nice man.

AdrianF
04-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Looks like this is going to be really usable for doc work. Thanks for taking the time to post this.

Adrian

Park Edwards
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Odd, the ISO 1600 looks like the D90 as it's best if up rezzed to 1080p..that softer looks gives it a more filmlic aesthetic

ChipG
04-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Based on what I have seen so far, and if the audio quality is good with an external mic, this is quite possibly the most perfect low-profile documentary camera ever made.

Even with the new Zoom H4N it still might be the best low-profile documentary camera on the market. Zoom H4N fits in your back pocket.

:thumbup:

Oedipax
04-29-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks very much for posting!

Robert Altman
04-29-2009, 03:29 PM
The 5Dm2 has around 7-8 in video mode. I personally think making a big deal about dynamic range is funny- I love the look of reversal film and it has hardly any dynamic range. Its how you use it- also keep in mind an image with a lot of dynamic range usually needs post processing to get it looking proper. Contrast is a good thing.

I disagree with you here. I think that one of the key things that makes film look different from video is its' high dynamic range (DR). The fact that shadows and highlights preserve detail is a key to the film look. Film handles the extremes gently without the blown out look of digital video. The extremes of exposure degrade gracefully. This also gives you the most options in post in creating the look that you desire (including a look where blacks are crushed and highlights blown out).

In fact I think that the ability to create a shallow DOF, a wide DR, and the 24p frame rate basically defines the 'filmic' look.

Steve Castle
04-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the great impressions, Hunter. :dankk2:
I got to admit being impressed with the ISO800-1600 performance, previously, I elucidated my skepticism here of the GH1 performance on higher-ISO; but I'll eat crow. It looks good.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 03:39 PM
I disagree with you here. I think that one of the key things that makes film look different from video is its' high dynamic range (DR). The fact that shadows and highlights preserve detail is a key to the film look. .

Google Ektachrome. Color negative isnt the only film. ; )

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Just shot some 60p and conformed it to 23.98... LOOKS AMAZING!

Robert Altman
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Google Ektachrome. Color negative isnt the only film. ; )

Who shoots movies on Ektachrome?? Kodak can't trip over itself fast enough to come out with newer emulsions with higher DR! In fact here is a direct quote from the Kodak Vision 3 literature--

Extended highlight latitude. Gives you greater flexibility when lighting extreme situations, and lets you pull even more detail out of highlights.

dadoboy
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
Double-x and Plus-X, B/W and Color reversal. All very limited latitude / dynamic range. But excellent tonality. Two different things. You can't say that L'Atlante shot on ancient B/W is not filmic because of it was shot on limited latitude film. It's just beautiful.

LanceB
04-29-2009, 03:54 PM
I agree with Mr Altman - dynamic range is all about options in post/DI - giving a shot the studio film look. So far (and I've looked at every friggin' clip out there - and Spring in Japan seems nice and all) I've seen not a frame that comes even remotely close to the 5D MkII - hoping to see someone with pro skills post some motion and not just stills. Otherwise it's back to Canon firmware purgatory.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Who shoots movies on Ektachrome?? Kodak can't trip over itself fast enough to come out with newer emulsions with higher DR! In fact here is a direct quote from the Kodak Vision 3 literature--

Extended highlight latitude. Gives you greater flexibility when lighting extreme situations, and lets you pull even more detail out of highlights.

I understand what your saying. If your chasing a film look, instead of running after the next camera with more of a "film-look", its so much easier to just shoot film. Digital doesn't have to look like film to look good- its just different.

Ian-T
04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
Agreed.

Kholi
04-29-2009, 04:00 PM

Hell YES it does. I'm actually pretty tempted to Vimeo this 60P shot, but it's messy!

PaPa
04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Odd, the ISO 1600 looks like the D90 as it's best if up rezzed to 1080p..that softer looks gives it a more filmlic aesthetic

I agree completely. Just suffers still from blowouts, but still, very wowed by these images.

now im torn.

John Caballero
04-29-2009, 04:04 PM
I think that the best way to get the "film look" is just to go out and shoot using "real film". Just get a real film camera, purchase plenty of negative, whichever pleases your film taste the most, shoot, have it developed, transfer it to video or computer file or whatever is they do this days, transfer it to the computer, do post work and edit then output it to film or whatever else. The great thing is that we still have the wonderful option of shooting using the "real thing".

Kholi
04-29-2009, 04:04 PM
I understand what your saying. If your chasing a film look, instead of running after the next camera with more of a "film-look", its so much easier to just shoot film. Digital doesn't have to look like film to look good- its just different.

Exactly. Or better yet, go and shoot with a RED or HPX3000. It's close enough to satisfy people who shoot film ritually.

Kholi
04-29-2009, 04:05 PM
I agree completely. Just suffers still from blowouts, but still, very wowed by these images.

now im torn.

Of course it'll suffer from blowouts... any camera would in that situation without a polarizer or ND on the windows.

Steve Castle
04-29-2009, 04:10 PM
I disagree with you here. I think that one of the key things that makes film look different from video is its' high dynamic range (DR). The fact that shadows and highlights preserve detail is a key to the film look. Film handles the extremes gently without the blown out look of digital video. The extremes of exposure degrade gracefully. This also gives you the most options in post in creating the look that you desire (including a look where blacks are crushed and highlights blown out).

In fact I think that the ability to create a shallow DOF, a wide DR, and the 24p frame rate basically defines the 'filmic' look.

6-stops is actually very decent for the Sekonic system. My original Canon 5D got in the high-5/low-6 stop range from the same system for still photography; and that was considered exceptional not too long ago.

If Hunter is right, and the midtone exposure looked good, that's considerable. Depending on how your set up your test, this method can fluctuate +/- a couple stops depending on the testing environment, so the GH1 data seems to be fairly decent.

joe 1008
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Hunter, the GH1 is said to have some kind of a dynamic range extension (similar to the HPX170). Did you try it?

stav1606
04-29-2009, 04:18 PM
I think you are forgetting something really really important. What makes film so great is that since it is expensive it is carefully and sparingly used to capture beautifully lit imagery, with amazing landscapes or professional actors that wear amazing costumes or have professional make up and are chosen to look photogenic.

Now if you take the GH-1 and shoot all that, lit by a great DOF and post process it with the best programmes, it will look almost as good.
In contrast if you take a film camera and shoot with it mounted on a bicycle and project that without processing it will look bad.

And let us not forget all the amazing lenses that are used as well as filters and lighting with colours in all expensive productions.

Ian-T
04-29-2009, 04:21 PM
True that. I've seen some really bad shot 35mm footage.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Hunter, the GH1 is said to have some kind of a dynamic range extension (similar to the HPX170). Did you try it?

I just realized that option is there in the still menu. I will try it out and see what kind of difference it makes. Thanks for pointing that out.

Park Edwards
04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
gah damn i want this camera....

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
... Below are a few grabs- Some with the 14-140 and some with a canon 50mm f1.8 with a m4/3 adapter. (pardon my MUGSHOT by the way I just thought it was good to see the detail for you pixel peepers) these are second generation from prores and then JPEG compression... so its a worst case scenario- but still, they look pretty darn good to me! ...

Hi Hunter: Thanks for posting this and inviting me over to the studio yesterday to observe your testing.

I have a question: At one point yesterday we imported several clips (not the ones you posted today) from your GH1 into one of the computers there. (I believe it was running Premiere?) The clips I saw on the computer monitor looked really "artifacty"; not good at all, even when playing at 100% magnification. Was that just those particular clips, or was it due to the usual "don't evaluate on a computer monitor, use a video monitor"?

I guess I'm confused as to why the video I saw yesterday looked not so good, yet these frame grabs you've posted today from different clips look so much better?

I'm not knocking the GH1 here or what you did, I'd just like to understand why the difference between what I saw yesterday & today?

Thanks again hugely!

squig
04-29-2009, 04:43 PM
I think you are forgetting something really really important. What makes film so great is that since it is expensive it is carefully and sparingly used to capture beautifully lit imagery, with amazing landscapes or professional actors that wear amazing costumes or have professional make up and are chosen to look photogenic.

Now if you take the GH-1 and shoot all that, lit by a great DOF and post process it with the best programmes, it will look almost as good.
In contrast if you take a film camera and shoot with it mounted on a bicycle and project that without processing it will look bad.

And let us not forget all the amazing lenses that are used as well as filters and lighting with colours in all expensive productions.

lenses that can be adapted to fit this badboy

Apefos Adapter
04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
m2ts raw footage straight from the gh1 in 1080 for download please!!!! (with some pans and movements and focus defocus), please!!!

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Peter-

Its was great having you come out. I think we looked at over there may have been transcoded to a lesser codec? Im not familiar enough with premiere to know. The stuff Im putting though FCP looks good though.

PappasArts
04-29-2009, 04:57 PM
Thanks for posting Hunter; very much appreciated! :)

.Michael Pappas
http://www.pbase.com/Arrfilms
http://www.Myspace.com/PappasArts
http://www.facebook.com/people/Michael-Pappas/573417404
Arrfilms@hotmail.com
http://www.PappasArts.com
CONTACT VIA AOL INSTANT MESSENGER
AT { PAPPASARTS2 }

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-29-2009, 05:03 PM

Does it look better (fewer compression artifacts or what?) compared to the GH1's 1080p24 mode, or just different in a nice [AMAZING!] way?

Frame grabs please? :smile:

dcloud
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
Hi Hunter: Thanks for posting this and inviting me over to the studio yesterday to observe your testing.

I have a question: At one point yesterday we imported several clips (not the ones you posted today) from your GH1 into one of the computers there. (I believe it was running Premiere?) The clips I saw on the computer monitor looked really "artifacty"; not good at all, even when playing at 100% magnification. Was that just those particular clips, or was it due to the usual "don't evaluate on a computer monitor, use a video monitor"?

I guess I'm confused as to why the video I saw yesterday looked not so good, yet these frame grabs you've posted today from different clips look so much better?

I'm not knocking the GH1 here or what you did, I'd just like to understand why the difference between what I saw yesterday & today?

Thanks again hugely!
premiere doesnt ioutput full rez on preview unless specified to do so. specially avchd

Kholi
04-29-2009, 05:13 PM
Hunter, the Dynamic range extension is the Shadow Correction mode:

Q.Menu > Scroll over to the !O looking icon, then you have three levels of it.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Peter - Its was great having you come out. I think we looked at over there may have been transcoded to a lesser codec? Im not familiar enough with premiere to know. The stuff Im putting though FCP looks good though.

Now I feel much better, thank you! My skepticism after the testing yesterday was due to seeing those not-so-great clips.

As someone posted earlier, it'll take a few days -- or in Hunter's case, he's already most of the way there :happy: -- for workflow issues to get worked out. Things are back to looking promising again!

In the meantime ...

I guess there's a 3rd party opportunity for somebody to rig up a tiny bullet cam mounted on a Hoodman-type LCD loupe so a jib operator can see the GH1's LCD image on a remote monitor ... unless Panasonic comes thru with a firmware fix for live video out during recording ... :happy:

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-29-2009, 05:17 PM
premiere doesnt ioutput full rez on preview unless specified to do so. specially avchd

Thanks dcloud, that sounds perfectly reasonable. Much appreciated!

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Peter-

Its just so smooth when played back. There is more compression because its recording more frames at about the same bit rate, but it looks great. Here is a grab for you (720/60p SH mode).

PaPa
04-29-2009, 05:32 PM
those highlights look very nice. Did you do any in camera adjustment or curve adjustment?

Boz
04-29-2009, 05:33 PM
Hunter, for the sake of clarity, are those frames you posted stills or single frame grabs from motion footage?

Park Edwards
04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
iso?

Ruzo
04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Hunter, for the sake of clarity, are those frames you posted stills or single frame grabs from motion footage?

LOL...That could be a great quote for Panasonic's Marketing Department.

squig
04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
well now I have 2 lenses that won't fit on the D90 so I'm committed.

Hunter are you using the same workflow you gave me the other day?

How's the AF keeping up with ur kid?

GregGory
04-29-2009, 05:41 PM
We did a Dynamic range test (thanks to Ryan Walters) on the GH1 in video mode @ Iso 200 and 400 Using Sekonic Profiling software. (also set to lowest contrast setting with Noise reduction at minimum)

Here is what we found:

In video mode, the camera has about 6 stops usable dynamic range, there are about 2 stops in the blacks that you can eek out below that but because of the compression scheme going on- they get compressed out. ( In still photo mode, there is probably 8-9 stops total)

Hi there,
This test made me sign up finally, thanks Hunter. I have a few questions though :happy:

First of all, why did you choose to test ISO 200 & 400? I'm asking, because there was a misinformed comment in one of the other threads that claimed higher DR at ISO 400. Based on DXOmark, the latest crop of Panasonic sensors all have max DR at base iso.

(click the "Dynamic Range" tab)
http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/(appareil1)/298|0/(appareil2)/315|0/(appareil3)/220|0/(onglet)/0/(brand)/Panasonic/(brand2)/Olympus/(brand3)/Olympus (http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng/Image-Quality-Database/Compare-cameras/%28appareil1%29/298%7C0/%28appareil2%29/315%7C0/%28appareil3%29/220%7C0/%28onglet%29/0/%28brand%29/Panasonic/%28brand2%29/Olympus/%28brand3%29/Olympus)

These tests were conducted on RAW still photos (mechanical shutter), so this may not apply directly for the electronic shutter, but still the DR is more likely to be at its max at ISO 100.

Secondly, did you also test the DR in Mjpg? If the DR is indeed limited by the AVCHD codec, the MJPG could theoretically be better (or worse).

Lastly, the G1 has a few tricks to adjust the contrast curve for stills. One of them is the "Intelligent Exposure Adjustment" (same as D-lighting for Nikon) there are several settings (low, standard, high, off). Is it possible to turn this on in video? It could potentially mean a lot, based on some G1 tests.

The film modes also affect the contrast curve in still photos, seen here.
www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCG1/Samples/DR/dr_modes.png (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/PanasonicDMCG1/Samples/DR/dr_modes.png)

The downside is Film Modes also tweak lots of other parameters, but it would be good to know the max DR potential of the GH1.

squig
04-29-2009, 05:44 PM
US release date end of may $1500
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/technology/personaltech/30pogue.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1241046084-bCyXj2ztAHAwWYeLcM5ovw

LizaWitz
04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
I guess there's a 3rd party opportunity for somebody to rig up a tiny bullet cam mounted on a Hoodman-type LCD loupe so a jib operator can see the GH1's LCD image on a remote monitor

Here ya go for $200 just need to power it and have a laptop with WiFi:
http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/trendware-tv-ip100w.html

Or maybe this for $90 - has ethernet too. MPEG4 or MJPEG 640x480 30fps
http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-WVC54GCA-Wireless-Internet-Monitoring/dp/B0010OXEDU/

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 06:02 PM

Ha! Everything I posted is from the video footage.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
those highlights look very nice. Did you do any in camera adjustment or curve adjustment?

I just adjusted the contrast setting. The sun was up just behind those clouds.

Finster
04-29-2009, 06:04 PM
US release date end of may $1500
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/30/technology/personaltech/30pogue.html?_r=2&adxnnl=1&adxnnlx=1241046084-bCyXj2ztAHAwWYeLcM5ovw

"At the end of May, Panasonic will unleash the second generation of the G1, called the GH1. Wow, what a difference an H makes."

:love4:

squig
04-29-2009, 06:05 PM
can't recall how long firewire cables can run, but an isight camera could be an option too

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Greg Gory-

Hi! I chose iso 200 & iso 400 for the for the dynamic range test because I thought the base would be somewhere in there. Thats interesting that its at iso 100 though.

I did not test MJPEG.

I just tried the iContrast mode thing, it doesnt seem to affect the movie mode. Maybe it requires processing that doesn't happen realtime?

Late
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
Greg Gory-

Hi! I chose iso 200 & iso 400 for the for the dynamic range test because I thought the base would be somewhere in there. Thats interesting that its at iso 100 though.

I'm not sure you can actually make that conclusion from other cameras. This camera has a whole new sensor. Besides, there's differences between cameras even with the same sensor. The G1 has the highest DR at ISO 100, but Olympus E30 has it at ISO 200 (altough when you look at the actual measured ISO both are pretty close to ISO 125).

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Greg Gory- Hi! I chose iso 200 & iso 400 for the for the dynamic range test because I thought the base would be somewhere in there. Thats interesting that its at iso 100 though. ...

Just an FYI to share it here, I sent this email to Hunter earlier today, before he posted his DR test results:

"... I just re-read Art Adams' article about how a video camera's electronic gain setting affects its dynamic range:
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/aadams/story/no_pain_no_gain/

Now I finally "get" why shooting a dynamic range test on the GH1 at ISO 100 is important. ...

... The fun part will be if camera testing labs discover that the GH1 is actually less noisy at an ISO higher than 100. In other words, ISO 100 on the GH1 might actually be like -3 gain on a video cam. If true -- and stranger things have happened -- then perhaps dynamic range testing on the GH1 should actually be done at whichever of its ISO settings is the least noisy?"

===

I'm also looking forward to seeing tests on the GH1 like this one of the G1 performed by Digital Camera Review:
http://www.digitalcamerainfo.com/content/Panasonic-Lumix-G1-Digital-Camera-Review--19430/Noise.htm

Add: Remember, the GH1 has a new sensor & processor, not the ones in the G1, so YMMV.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Your right, I have no idea what the base Iso is. It looks great at 100 and it looks great at 400 too. I bet when dpreview.com they will do a great job on testing the new sensor.

squig
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
out of japan, shallow dof with some nikon glass posted an hour ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvrtsVmZs7k

LizaWitz
04-29-2009, 06:31 PM
iSight camera could work, firewire cables can be fairly long-- I've run them around 20 feet, though I can't remember if I had an amplifier in there or not. Unfortunately since being cancelled the price of isights went up-- last I saw.

That David Pogue article is actually the first real review, though of course, he's reviewing it from a consumer perspective. Has video of the 7-14 in action as well.

squig
04-29-2009, 06:36 PM
iSight camera could work, firewire cables can be fairly long-- I've run them around 20 feet, though I can't remember if I had an amplifier in there or not. Unfortunately since being cancelled the price of isights went up-- last I saw.

That David Pogue article is actually the first real review, though of course, he's reviewing it from a consumer perspective. Has video of the 7-14 in action as well.

sold mine on ebay a few weeks ago, was collecting dust, doh!
there are cheaper isight rip-offs available

LanceB
04-29-2009, 06:38 PM
Hunter - I should have said studio "movie" look - meaning theatrical quality - I haven't shot film in years.

Peter J. DeCrescenzo
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
It's a little surreal that we're discussing adding a "video tap" to a "video camera". :laugh:

GregGory
04-29-2009, 06:55 PM
I chose iso 200 & iso 400 for the for the dynamic range test because I thought the base would be somewhere in there. Thats interesting that its at iso 100 though.

The potential is isn't huge though, around 1/2 stop max, but worth considering.

I just tried the iContrast mode thing, it doesnt seem to affect the movie mode. Maybe it requires processing that doesn't happen realtime?

Obviously not everything happens real time. The Venus engine does a lot of doctoring for stills, eg. it removes vignetting, corrects distortion, removes lateral chromatic aberrations, this fill light stuff (& noise reduction and sharpening of course). Obviously, even this new dual core version isn't able to do all this real time in 1080/24p. A YT footie (landing Dornier plane) clearly shows there's no vignetting compensation going on, which I can live with. But no fill light would be a bit more painful with the limited bit rate.

I've just realized, somehow I managed to mis-type my alias! :grin:

GregGory
04-29-2009, 07:17 PM

I've found the intelligent exposure stuff on the Lumix global site, judging by the demo grabs, the effect is almost 'dramatic', lol, I would be happy with half that effect in real footage!

http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/img/movie/img15.jpg (http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/img/movie/img15.jpg)
http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/systemcamera/gms/gh1/img/movie/img16.jpg

squig
04-29-2009, 07:37 PM
It's a little surreal that we're discussing adding a "video tap" to a "video camera". :laugh:

ahem.... digital motion picture camera rather

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 09:30 PM
I put a 720/60p clip up under the "GH1 gallery".

mkeep
04-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Why? It's purely a development of the video age anyway. Think of the tens of thousands of great films made without any such crutch.

squig
04-29-2009, 09:37 PM
"squig scrambles for the exit knocking over old people and children in his haste"

stephenvv
04-29-2009, 09:49 PM

Very nice - thank so much. The only thing is some macroblocking in the pink pants around 2:14 - is that in the camera original footage or a compression artifact?

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 09:57 PM
It did break up some on her pants, I think that color pink is hard on the compression.

stephenvv
04-29-2009, 10:00 PM
It did break up some on her pants, I think that color pink is hard on the compression.

Interesting - I'm curious if 24fps will handle situations like the better than 60fps as in large color areas, resolution is not the real issue.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 10:05 PM
The 1080/24 holds up much better in my opinion than the 720/60p (when slowed down). You gotta think that your taking a 720/60p (17Mb/s) file and playing it back at 720/24p (6.8Mb/s) Still does the job though!

ryvac
04-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Bottom line I dig it! HANDS DOWN Best "Video DSLR" out yet,

what if you compared it to other camera's?
like the HVX200/HPX500/RED ?

what are your thought?

booggerg2
04-29-2009, 10:12 PM

Looks great.. that is until I saw the caption and realized you were shooting at 100mm effective FOV.. ew... That's the biggest downer with the 4/3 sensor...

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 10:19 PM
Whats wrong with 100mm?

booggerg2
04-29-2009, 10:22 PM
Whats wrong with 100mm?

shooting at 50mm 1.8 is a completely different experience than shooting at 100mm..

I prefer shooting at large apertures up close to the subject as opposed backing up and telephoto-ing in.

Isaac_Brody
Looks great.. that is until I saw the caption and realized you were shooting at 100mm effective FOV.. ew... That's the biggest downer with the 4/3 sensor...

What's great is that you wouldn't have noticed the "effective" FOV if that caption wasn't there. :happy:

artforme
Hunter, thanks for the info!

Do you know the color space for the Gh1? How do you think the Gh1 would work with chroma keying?

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
I dont know how it would work for choma key, honestly Im thinking not so good. But I dont know much about pulling a good key anyways.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
shooting at 50mm 1.8 is a completely different experience than shooting at 100mm..

I prefer shooting at large apertures up close to the subject as opposed backing up and telephoto-ing in.

Ok I will buy a 25mm f0.95 for you then. ; )

stephenvv
04-29-2009, 10:25 PM
The 1080/24 holds up much better in my opinion than the 720/60p (when slowed down). You gotta think that your taking a 720/60p (17Mb/s) file and playing it back at 720/24p (6.8Mb/s) Still does the job though!

Good point. Overall, it's a beautiful clip and can't wait to get my camera.

Finster
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Ok I will buy a 25mm f0.95 for you then. ; )

This 25mm looks pretty sweet, too! (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=484209&is=REG) :happy:

booggerg2
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
What's great is that you wouldn't have noticed the "effective" FOV if that caption wasn't there. :happy:

Regardless of whether I would have noticed it or not on the limited clips presented in that nice video, the experience of shooting at 100mm is completely different than at 50mm.. This you can not argue with.

Where is the 12mm f/1.4 lens for the 4/3 mount? or 8mm f/2.8?

Everything about this camera is superior, except for the crop factor.. then again, I'm guessing if it was a larger sensor, the jello effect would probably be more apparent..

dcloud
04-29-2009, 10:34 PM
im sure chroma keying would be fine on subjects not moving too much

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 10:35 PM
booggerg2- If you want the field of view of a 50mm lens on m4/3, just shoot with a 25mm. If you dont like the crop factor thats fine, Im not asking you to buy the camera.

Otherwise, If you just want to find something to complain about, please do it somewhere else.

Hunter Hampton
04-29-2009, 10:37 PM
saved by the edit...

dcloud
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
oh, wait until we get reports of a sticky focusing ring on the gh1

j/k boogerg:)

LizaWitz
04-30-2009, 12:17 AM
Where is the 12mm f/1.4 lens for the 4/3 mount? or 8mm f/2.8?

That's the nice thing-- you find any such lens and you can use it, without regard for what camera the lens maker intended it to go on.

Also, there's a 20mm f1.7 pancake coming from panasonic around the end of the summer.

dcloud
04-30-2009, 12:30 AM
theres the sigma 10-20mm for 4/3
theres also the olympus 9-18mm, 12-60mm or 11-22mm
list (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&ci=0&sb=ps&sq=desc&sortDrop=Relevance&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=olympus+zuiko&ci=8457&basicSubmit=Submit+Query)

ydgmdlu
04-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Honestly, too many people make too big of a deal out of the crop factor. I think that most of the complainers don't properly understand the issue.

The crop factor of Four Thirds is only 2.0x when the reference is a full frame sensor. How many people here regularly shoot with full frame imaging systems, either DSLRs or FF 35mm adapters? Most photographers and cinematographers are used to the APS-C frame size, which is almost exactly the same size as standard 35mm film. Nikon's APS-C sensors are about the same width as Super 35. So S35 could be said to have a crop factor of 1.5x. But we never say that because hardly anybody thinks about "crop factor" when shooting on film! Experienced photographers and cinematographers can see in their minds what a 50mm lens would look like, but that knowledge is based on all of their experience with frames that are 21-24mm wide.

So when you're thinking about the crop factor of an imaging system, you have to ask/remind yourself what your frame of reference is. A 50mm lens only has a 100mm field of view on Four Thirds when you're trying to imagine how it would look on an FF sensor. But if you're thinking 35mm film, or an APS-C DSLR, then it's not nearly so bad.

ydgmdlu
04-30-2009, 01:15 AM
By the way, the crop factor of the GH1 when the D90's 16:9 video mode is used as reference is only 1.2x. So a 50mm lens on the GH1 would actually just look like a 60mm lens on the D90 (and, by extension, on 35mm film). No big deal.

dadoboy
04-30-2009, 01:28 AM
Well the crop factor is a bother not in the longer focal lengths - but in the wides. A 20mm lens on Super 35mm's FOV would be something like a 14-16mm on 4/3 micro. Finding a fast 14mm F2 or true T2 lens for micro 4/3 - good luck, I don't think it exists.

For practical concerns, most people buying this camera won't be concerned with getting the fastest glass. But it discourages it from being used as a serious tool - which some people here are trying to do (not me :).

dcloud
04-30-2009, 01:34 AM
bottomline, if you want the best out of your gh1, you have to spend spend spend. it doesnt stop with the kit lens.

ydgmdlu
04-30-2009, 01:35 AM
Finding a fast 14mm F2 or true T2 lens for micro 4/3 - good luck, I don't think it exists.
Really?

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_PressDetails.asp?pressNo=388

ydgmdlu
04-30-2009, 01:37 AM
Also, if you're trying to get a 20mm FOV (on S35), you need a 16mm or 17mm lens, not 14mm. 14mm would be a 17mm or 18mm equivalent.

divide
04-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Well the crop factor is a bother not in the longer focal lengths - but in the wides. A 20mm lens on Super 35mm's FOV would be something like a 14-16mm on 4/3 micro. Finding a fast 14mm F2 or true T2 lens for micro 4/3 - good luck, I don't think it exists.

Actually, 20mm lens on a 35mm 1.85 film (very common in cinema) equal to 18mm lens on the GH1 (calculation made using 3ds MAX) in term of horizontal FOV. So that's very close...

Maybe I should make a topic with a table of different lens equivalent ?

ydgmdlu
04-30-2009, 01:46 AM
Maybe I should make a topic with a table of different lens equivalent ?
Yes, please! That should definitely help quiet all of the fuss over the "2.0x" crop factor a little bit.

divide
04-30-2009, 01:56 AM
What's the effective sensor size (width) for D90 and 5DMKii in video mode, so the table can be exhaustive ?

dadoboy
04-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Divide, is that for Super 35mm 1:85 or Academy 1:85? Yes, please put up a chart or something. I don't care all that much personally, since I don't think I'm buying into this camera any time soon, but it would help others for sure. And would be interesting cuz the future might be a 4/3 chipped Panny shoulder mount vid camera in my dreams.

So I stand corrected - there is a 14mm lens out there that can do F2. I was not looking very hard.

I think though, that people are bummed because they can't user their EXISTING lenses on the GH1 like one can on 35mm adapters, without having to buy expensive new glass. We are after all, mostly independent thrifty (aka cheap) people in this forum who are glad to see we can get great results for very little cash outlay.

I'm buying stock with my 1400, and maybe, maybe if it quadruples in value... then. and then.. oh, gotta sleep.

ydgmdlu
04-30-2009, 02:02 AM
My understanding is that the D90 and 5D Mark II simply crop the top and bottom in order to get 16:9. The width of the D90 sensor is 23.6mm, and the width of the 5D sensor is 36mm.

ydgmdlu
04-30-2009, 02:13 AM
Different people have different needs and different financial situations, but consider this: The 5D Mark II with kit lens is commonly found at about MSRP, $3500. You can get the GH1 ($1500) and the Oly 14-35mm F2.0 ($2100) for not much more, though you'd still have to spend on a Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapter. With that combo, you'd have two lenses instead of one. Selling the kit lens would bring the cost well under the 5D Mk II kit price. And if the issue is with people using existing glass, then it's really not a big deal, since what they already have can be used for the telephoto focal lenghs.

dcloud
04-30-2009, 03:33 AM
plus you get varying frame rates. 24p 30p 60p

squig
04-30-2009, 04:04 AM
20p petition!

LizaWitz
04-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Being able to use lenses from your collection, or to acquire inexpensive high quality lenses to build your collections is a huge feature.

Plus, if you're really an indie you can get your shots with the kit lens, which costs nothing extra.

The shots from the pool table in Blooms footage looked great.

At the end of the day, we've got a camera that Robert Rodriguez would have killed to have while shooting El Mariachi.

Dingos8mybaby
04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
At the end of the day, we've got a camera that Robert Rodriguez would have killed to have while shooting El Mariachi.

Now there's wordplay to match RR's gunplay! :)

From what I've seen so far, this cam has me itchin to ditch the wait for Scarlet, and finally get shootin again. Well, in a couple months' time, anyway...thanks Kholi, Hunter (et al.),...for keeping us salivating like madmen.

FYI, I saw a video with a Canadian Panny Rep saying that the kit (GH1 body + lens) has an MSRP of $1899CAD. Now, if we consider some of the other Panny offerings here in Canada (all prices in CAD, per vistek.ca):

DVX100B: $4199 *SAVE $270!

HVX200A: $5699 *SAVE $300!
w/ 16GB P2: $6699

HPX170: $5999 *SAVE $600!
w/ 16GB P2 + "The Panny Guide to Filmmaking": $7149

HMC150: $4999 *SAVE $600!
w/ 16GB SDHC + Batt: $5299

does this mean that Panasonic is finally showing us canucks some o that stateside love??? Keeping our price pretty much in line with what a straight-up exchange (as of right now) would be? If so, that would be freakin sweeet!

EDIT: Sorry for the hijack. :)

Park Edwards
04-30-2009, 09:42 AM
never figured out why people insist on buying lens when you can rent them for $50 bux a week. Does nobody plan out their shots when shooting?

Late
04-30-2009, 09:58 AM
never figured out why people insist on buying lens when you can rent them for $50 bux a week. Does nobody plan out their shots when shooting?

There are many old manual focus prime lenses that you could even buy for $50.

ryansheffer
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
I've already started picking up some Canon FD lenses. Just got a 50mm 1.4 for $49. Hoping to push low light limits the day I get the thing.

jfro
04-30-2009, 10:55 AM
There are many old manual focus prime lenses that you could even buy for $50.

Using manual lens would defeat my purpose, but may work for others.

One of the defining features of this camera is a DSLR with auto focus that works.

I'm a 5D mkII owner who is contemplating a GH1 purchase to augment my Canon camera.

The P. Bloom footage looks promising.
The manual control feature, recording length, and the auto focus mode are key factors.

I'll use my fast Nikon prime manual lens, but I'm more interested in the auto focus lens with decent amount of shallow dof.

mico
04-30-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah i just bought a bunch of Fd's too 24mm f2, 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm for less than one auto lens from anyone. and they are relatively fast. Got my Peleng 8mm with adapter to m4/3. waiting on the pancake 20mm 1.7 and I'll also be good when the 24mbs GH2 comes out in 4 months or so, if the GH1 sells.

John Caballero
04-30-2009, 11:28 AM
It would be interesting to see a split screen test of the kit lens and a different prime lens at the same focal distance to see how each compares.

Kholi
04-30-2009, 01:07 PM
If a GH2 drops you'll definitely see me with one. I hope all this noise being made over the camera tips Pana's Still division off to improving the camera on the next iteration.

Park Edwards
04-30-2009, 01:28 PM
wow, the gh1 hasn't even released in the us yet and now people want a gh2??? freaking brats...

Kholi
04-30-2009, 01:35 PM
I was JUST sayin', if there's another one, I'm on it. LOL.

Relax relax.

Park Edwards
04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
definitely

PappasArts
04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
wow, the gh1 hasn't even released in the us yet and now people want a gh2??? freaking brats...

AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!

It's pathetic if you ask me................

Pappas

squig
04-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Yeah i just bought a bunch of Fd's too 24mm f2, 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm for less than one auto lens from anyone. and they are relatively fast. Got my Peleng 8mm with adapter to m4/3. waiting on the pancake 20mm 1.7 and I'll also be good when the 24mbs GH2 comes out in 4 months or so, if the GH1 sells.

I've read the peleng is really soft. I just got a sigma 15mm fisheye for mine but I'd like something wider that isn't too soft.

mico
04-30-2009, 02:17 PM
I've read the peleng is really soft. I just got a sigma 15mm fisheye for mine but I'd like something wider that isn't too soft.

Theres a guy that put one on the G1 and his pics didn't look soft to me. Theres a rear element with the lens and using it with or without might make a difference. Either way its a cheap lens that has served well if it crosses over great if not, there will be other solutions.

squig
04-30-2009, 02:19 PM
all it needs is AVC-intra or 2K, a bit more dynamic range,HDMI out, an f/2 HD lens and foegeddabout the red one.

mico
04-30-2009, 02:23 PM
AMEN TO THAT BROTHER!

It's pathetic if you ask me................

Pappas

No one is pushing for a GH2 already. Its just inevitable that it will come. Canon went from Hf10 17mbs to Hf11 24mbs in 3 to 4 months. Thats all. You're reading too much into a throwaway comment. I'm happy that the Gh1 is here in any form.

squig
04-30-2009, 02:27 PM
The GH1 is exactly what I need for my first feature. But the specs I mentioned are what I'm gonna need for my epic. All I need to do now is make the script worthy

squig
04-30-2009, 02:29 PM
dammit vimeo won't let me download philips clip. can I get it anywhere else?

LizaWitz
04-30-2009, 02:41 PM
all it needs is avc-intra or 2k, a bit more dynamic range,hdmi out, an f/2 hd lens and foegeddabout the red one.

word.

William_Robinette
04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
all it needs is AVC-intra or 2K, a bit more dynamic range,HDMI out, an f/2 HD lens and foegeddabout the red one.

It still amazes me how much people forget about everything else that goes into a camera other then the image quality. I'm sure your statement applyies to you but you cannot say it like it is a blanket covering everyone's needs.

What about timecode?
What about audio?
What about support for external equipment (mattbox FF, etc)?
What about genlock?
What about >60fps?
What about scopes?
What about metadata input?

And there is so much more.

squig
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
can live without/work around all of those, variable frame rate would be cool though. It's a $1500 camera.

Park Edwards
04-30-2009, 03:00 PM
all it needs is all i've ever heard

Park Edwards
04-30-2009, 03:01 PM
No one is pushing for a GH2 already. Its just inevitable that it will come. Canon went from Hf10 17mbs to Hf11 24mbs in 3 to 4 months. Thats all. You're reading too much into a throwaway comment. I'm happy that the Gh1 is here in any form.

Canon? Psht.....

Boz
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
GH2 petition! :D

All kidding aside, I've pretty much decided to get one of these when they come out.

squig
04-30-2009, 03:18 PM
get in line

mattsand
05-01-2009, 04:24 AM
What about timecode?
What about audio?
What about support for external equipment (mattbox FF, etc)?
What about genlock?
What about >60fps?
What about scopes?
What about metadata input?
yeah what about it? i come froma film background and have rarely used any of these features in a camera, except "external equipment" but what cameras don't support that? a tripod mount is all you need to mount the camera to rods and from there you can build indefinitely. timecode would be very nice for sure but you can always use a timecode slate and add it in post with apple cinema tools or similar. i don't think anyone was implying that the camera is complete for everyone and for everything, just for what some or most of us need it for. i'm sure some people need a camera that makes coffee too, i mean some supposedly need in-camera scopes desperately, which for me is just as ridiculous. ;-)

/matt

mattsand
05-01-2009, 04:53 AM
Who shoots movies on Ektachrome?
maybe, just maybe, the guy you "disagreed" with when he said he loved reversal film? :-) film doesn't clip though, you need several more stops with video to recreate the reversal look. at least a couple of stops are compressed into that last piece of range.

/matt

mkeep
05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
i'm sure some people need a camera that makes coffee too, i mean some supposedly need in-camera scopes desperately, which for me is just as ridiculous. ;-)

Yeah, just because all of these eng videocamera type features have crept into motion picture cameras doesn't mean you actually need them to make a movie. People seem to have done fine without them for most of the past 100 years.

PappasArts
06-18-2009, 12:48 PM

Here is what we found:

This is a conservative test and you may experience more DR in real world scenes. This same test puts the RED at 8.5-9.5 usable stops.

What does this mean?

Well first, dont believe some of the dynamic range values people throw around about X camera having Y- stops dynamic range. Most of the time you wont actually get those results as they are extremely optimistic! Its been my expeirence so far that in video mode, the GH1 has about the same amount of usuable dynamic range as an HVX200- which isn't great but its certainly workable.

The great news is that middle grey is perfectly balanced in the middle of the dynamic range (unlike some cameras which clip way faster in the highlights than in the shadows) So you can expect to get an image with a pleasing contrast and middle tone that wont need a lot of work to get looking pretty. The saturation of the tones on the camera are also very "panasonic like"- so the Reds and yellows look great.

Based on what I have seen so far, and if the audio quality is good with an external mic, this is quite possibly the most perfect low-profile documentary camera ever made. The images look great, the manual control works like a charm, the auto focus works amazingly (even in video mode), and heck I even like the 14-140mm! Even using high ISO's in video mode look great- something about the compression really cleans up the noise at high ISO levels. Did I forget to mention the EVF is HD res? And the camera has 24p!?... OK I WILL STOP.

I can see this camera being used so many ways for corporate, documentary, and indie gorillas (like Mr. SABI).

Bottom line I dig it! HANDS DOWN Best "Video DSLR" out yet, other camera manufactures should take note on this cameras dedication to its video feature... There is really way too much I like about this camera- Especially the ability to put nearly ANY LENS on the camera (because of the m4/3 mount).

Below are a few grabs- Some with the 14-140 and some with a canon 50mm f1.8 with a m4/3 adapter. (pardon my MUGSHOT by the way I just thought it was good to see the detail for you pixel peepers) these are second generation from prores and then JPEG compression... so its a worst case scenario- but still, they look pretty darn good to me!

I will shoot some footage later- I dont want to post crap! ; )

Was there any footage ever posted from these tests. I know Hunter decided to go buy the 5D Mark II after the manual control update; however I thought his 1080P frames looked quite good from the GH1...

1080/24 GH1 frames:

Frame:1
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=10791&d=1241039195

Frame:2
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=10789&d=1241039195

Frame:3
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=10788&d=1241039195

Frame:4
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/attachment.php?attachmentid=10790&d=1241039195

Thread about the above:
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1623056&postcount=1

cjwolff
06-18-2009, 04:40 PM
what if you compared it to other camera's?
like the HVX200/HPX500/RED ?

what are your thought?

I want to see frame grabs from the GH1 and HPX300 side by side. Then i'll make my decision. $

cjwolff
06-18-2009, 04:51 PM
I downloaded this mugshot still from the post above and I have a question since I saw this same thing in the "Panasonic GH1 footage at a Night Market, Taiwan" from vimeo download.

I adjusted the curves to make this stand out...but it seems like this camera struggles with mid-darks.

http://www.dvxuser6.com/uploaded/47696/1245369051.jpg

Hunter Hampton
06-18-2009, 08:54 PM
Thats just my hair- I have acute JPEG damage. ; )

The footage from the dynamic range test is not exciting. Its just a static shot of a special sekonic chart that is made for the test. I would love to buy another GH1 once they become readily available too.

PappasArts
06-19-2009, 03:57 AM
Thats just my hair- I have acute JPEG damage. ; )

The footage from the dynamic range test is not exciting. Its just a static shot of a special sekonic chart that is made for the test. I would love to buy another GH1 once they become readily available too.

Any chance on seeing the footage from the guy on the phone, or you in the mirror?

What happen to your first GH1?

Hunter Hampton
06-19-2009, 11:05 AM
What happen to your first GH1?

Cool story, I had a fellow contact me who was DP on a low-budget indie feature called "Caught in the Crossfire" starring 50 cent and Chris Klein. (I think they just completed photography in Grand Rapids actually)

Anyway, He wanted the GH1 asap to do some action POV shots (He was shooting with Panavised f900's and didnt want to run handheld with them!) The coolest thing though is he has a set of Panavison Ultraspeeds with PV mount adapters for the EOS mount- so he bought my camera and a m4/3 to EOS adapter and threw some panavison lenses on it. He also used the 5d mark 2 for some night scenes as well but because of the jello, he used the Gh1 for the high action stuff. Im really not sure how much of the Gh1 or 5dm2 stuff will make it into the final cut, but its there if the editor wants it.

I just googled it and got this link:

http://woooha.com/2009/05/video-on-set-of-50-cents-new-movie-caught-in-the-crossfire/

Those two frame grabs are actually from the 5D mark 2's video mode interestingly enough.

I hope to buy a US version of the GH1 soon and pop on the PL mount from Hot Rod Cameras!

PappasArts
06-19-2009, 02:16 PM
Cool story, I had a fellow contact me who was DP on a low-budget indie feature called "Caught in the Crossfire" starring 50 cent and Chris Klein. (I think they just completed photography in Grand Rapids actually)

Anyway, He wanted the GH1 asap to do some action POV shots (He was shooting with Panavised f900's and didnt want to run handheld with them!) The coolest thing though is he has a set of Panavison Ultraspeeds with PV mount adapters for the EOS mount- so he bought my camera and a m4/3 to EOS adapter and threw some panavison lenses on it. He also used the 5d mark 2 for some night scenes as well but because of the jello, he used the Gh1 for the high action stuff. Im really not sure how much of the Gh1 or 5dm2 stuff will make it into the final cut, but its there if the editor wants it.

I just googled it and got this link:

http://woooha.com/2009/05/video-on-set-of-50-cents-new-movie-caught-in-the-crossfire/

Those two frame grabs are actually from the 5D mark 2's video mode interestingly enough.

I hope to buy a US version of the GH1 soon and pop on the PL mount from Hot Rod Cameras!

How cool! This is funny; about a month ago I was searching for some Panavision info, indirectly came across this guy that was shooting with f900' on a film, however he also did a side by side of the GH1 and MkII for fun. That's your GH1 he was using.

I think the one biggest issues for the 1080 on the GH1 is more to do with the ingesting of the material into the computer correctly to reassemble the 24 from the 60i. Your stills exhibit a nice image extraction. The latest Taiwan at night in 1080/24 is very good too!

John Caballero
06-19-2009, 02:24 PM
I am sure once a proper and effective procedure to remove pulldown for the 1080p is established and implemented by many this isuue will be forgatten and there won't be any problems with it. It is usually like that with this new implementations, after a while the procedure becomes routine.

PappasArts
06-21-2009, 09:14 PM
I am sure once a proper and effective procedure to remove pulldown for the 1080p is established and implemented by many this isuue will be forgatten and there won't be any problems with it. It is usually like that with this new implementations, after a while the procedure becomes routine.

I agree,

However why was this 1080/24 over 60i AVCHD mode different from all others before it?

Northainan
06-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Yes, ISO 1600 is great. Very Clean. The only downside is that the image gets softer in the high ISO settings. Both examples below are iso1600 with noise reduction at minimum.

Wow! I have a Nikon D2X and these images are way cleaner than mine taken with the D2X.

Ian-T
06-22-2009, 04:08 PM
!
OOhhh...so that was YOUR GH-1 he borrowed. I saw some of his tests on Vimeo a month ago. This is one of them:

http://vimeo.com/4805254

I haven't checked back in a while but i see that he did end up using it.

Jim Klatt
06-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow! I have a Nikon D2X and these images are way cleaner than mine taken with the D2X.

But try softening your d2x images to the GH1 level posted in those pics.