PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Help

Bryan_Lawler
04-29-2009, 09:55 AM
I am putting my budget together for the purchase of the HMC150 along with other equipment that would be nice to buy along with it for a multiple of upcoming projects. I few items that I am looking for some guidance are...

External Monitor: Recommendation, these or others?

Ikan V7000-DK 7" Widescreen LCD Monitor Deluxe Kit (or HD)
VariZoom VZ-TFT7U 7" Widescreen Color LCD Monitor Kit (or HD)
Manhattan HD Pro Monitor HD089

Camera Support: Recommendation?
VariZoom VZ-UltraLite Compact, Lightweight Hand-Held Stabilizer
VariZoom VZ-FPC FlowPod Stabilizer System with Case
Steadicam Merlin Camera Stabilizing System

Cranes/Jibs: Recommendation?

CobraCrane 210036 CobraCrane Backpacker
CobraCrane 210037 CobraCrane II
KC-8 Ultra Plus

Thanks for any help and guidance you may share with me.
- Bryan

David Saraceno
04-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Marshall makes some excellent HD monitors as well.

Jordan Berry
04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
Get the Glidecam 4,000HD and drop the Merlin ;)

BrianMurphy
04-29-2009, 12:10 PM
Can we assume you are buying a tripod? I own a Manhattan and it is a descent monitor for the money and the guys are a sponsor of our group and we should support them. But a Marshall or Panasonic will be my next monitor for the added setup features,wider viewing angle and of course better image unless Manhattan moves into that league.
Buy a Kessler Crane, they are well designed and built and quite simply just work perfectly. Also a sponsor and reviewed and raved about here by many.
Can't help you on a stabilizer, I own a flowpod I bought from one of the mods here and have used it once and now I am looking for a vest because it is wicked on the arm unless you are Iron Man.
Good luck !

keentave
04-29-2009, 05:19 PM
Steadicam merlin is the way to go. Definitely best stabilization out there.

Bryan_Lawler
04-29-2009, 06:49 PM
Thanks guys. This is some good input. Yes, I already have a tripod and some other gear that I use with my DVX. - Bryan

Jordan Berry
04-29-2009, 10:27 PM
There is no "best" between the Merlin and Glidecam. It's all about personal preference and skill level.