PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic GH1 vs Sony HDR-XR520V, Sony HDR-XR200V

nyczSZx
04-28-2009, 10:31 AM
Well I have been saving up money for the Panasonic GH1 for some time now and I recently saw a video for the GH1 vs the XR520V...I was very impressed with the quality that the XR520V had to offer.. I mainly wanted the GH1 for video but now I am having second thoughts...What do you guys think if you had to choose for video only..The Panasonic GH1 or the Sony HDR-XR520V? Also I wanted to know is there any major difference between the HDR-XR520V and the HDR-XR200V other than the hard drive capacity? Thanks very confused here on what to buy :violin:

Michael Olsen
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
The consensus is (generally) that it is too early to tell much as far as camera comparisons. Not enough knowledgeable people have been able to produce footage under proper settings (i.e. not "auto everything"). Not enough of the videos have specific annotations regarding camera settings.

Regarding the video you saw, for instance, what was the ISO setting on each camera? Were both cameras properly white balanced? Was that the optimal setting, or would it have been smarter to set it to something else? How much of the "look" of the video can be attributed to limitations of the camera, and how much must be attributed to the specific (and possible improper) settings used by the individual behind the camera?

Right now we can take a look at GH1 footage and say "looks nice" or "doesn't look nice." And until people start really using the camera we won't really know what the capability of the camera is. And until someone makes some rather scientific (i.e. controlled) tests between cameras, it's really not worth saying - especially basing conclusions off of questionably compressed streaming internet video.

DavidNJ
04-28-2009, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't get too excited by the Sony...there are comparisons with the HF S10/100 and the Sony is clearly not the choice there. That one little clip isn't sufficient to make a judgment. Just enough info to raise a question for testing.

LizaWitz
04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Also, it depends on what is important to your shooting style. IF you need large depth of field then the larger sensor of the GH1 isn't an advantage. If you want shallow depth of field that greatly limits the cameras you have to choose from.

DavidNJ
04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Assuming a similar level of technology and quality, the larger sensor should capture a larger signal and be more noise free. The larger micro lenses and color filters should also have higher tolerances. So, the larger sensor should have benefits beyond bokeh.

cinebuddy
04-28-2009, 02:55 PM
Damn there are benefits beyond bokeh? :)

ydgmdlu
04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Assuming a similar level of technology and quality, the larger sensor should capture a larger signal and be more noise free. The larger micro lenses and color filters should also have higher tolerances. So, the larger sensor should have benefits beyond bokeh.
Please note that the size of the sensor is not directly responsible for the cleaner video.

The Sony HDR-XR250V, as typical for a consumer-grade camcorder, offers hardly any useful manual controls over exposure and image. For many of us here, that alone makes the video capability inferior to the GH1's. There's no 24p or other frame rates offered either. And in how many situations is large depth-of-field better looking than shallow DOF? With the XR250V, you will never have the ability for usefully shallow DOF without a 35mm adapter. The GH1 allows true DOF control.

The low-light comparison clip only tells us one thing useful: The GH1 has better color-rendition under low light. Sure, the XR520V makes a brighter image, but we don't know exactly what exposure settings the GH1 was using. The GH1 could've easily been made brighter by using a faster lens, a slower shutter speed, or a higher ISO. Someone here also apparently found that the GH1 has actually captured more shadow detail, which can be seen if you brighten the image in an NLE.

Being an interchangeable lens camera, the GH1 offers the ability to use much better lenses than the one built into the XR250V.

The only difference between the XR250V and the XR200V is the hard drive capacity.

nyczSZx
04-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Please note that the size of the sensor is not directly responsible for the cleaner video.

The Sony HDR-XR250V, as typical for a consumer-grade camcorder, offers hardly any useful manual controls over exposure and image. For many of us here, that alone makes the video capability inferior to the GH1's. There's no 24p or other frame rates offered either. And in how many situations is large depth-of-field better looking than shallow DOF? With the XR250V, you will never have the ability for usefully shallow DOF without a 35mm adapter. The GH1 allows true DOF control.

The low-light comparison clip only tells us one thing useful: The GH1 has better color-rendition under low light. Sure, the XR520V makes a brighter image, but we don't know exactly what exposure settings the GH1 was using. The GH1 could've easily been made brighter by using a faster lens, a slower shutter speed, or a higher ISO. Someone here also apparently found that the GH1 has actually captured more shadow detail, which can be seen if you brighten the image in an NLE.

Being an interchangeable lens camera, the GH1 offers the ability to use much better lenses than the one built into the XR250V.

The only difference between the XR250V and the XR200V is the hard drive capacity.

Thanks ydgmdlu you just made me wait for the GH1 instead. :love4: