PDA

View Full Version : Private FTP access for uploading HD files from the HPX300 camera.

G.P.
04-27-2009, 01:54 PM
Hello All,

I have setup a private FTP for people wanting to upload/download HD files for the HPX300 camera.

Since these HD files are VERY large it can become quite expensive and difficult to show examples of what the footage looks like, thus keeping many people from posting their HD footage. We have a server that can help with posting up these HD files and allow people to download them.

A quick overview of how this works:

Please contact us via E-mail ( Film@NewYorkFilmStudios.com) with a request to have access to our FTP setup. We will make a user name and password for you to upload the file. Please make sure these files are Full resolution HD 1080 or 720 files only, this is strictly to help others view the cameras abilities in HD, I will accept the P2 files or Quicktime rendered files from Final Cut Pro or equivalent NLE.

The link will NOT be streaming, you will need to download the clips via "(right click and save as)".

Please do not try to upload a file larger than 2 gigs, at the moment we are working on accepting larger files and transfer speeds, but until then please keep the clips at MAX 2gigs.

I will, from time to time check up on these files to make sure they meet the size requirements.

This is only being offered for a limited time and should not be relied upon for client based viewing situations. Strictly just for evaluation purposes. We reserve the right to delete these files at our discretion at any time, please do not send us your only file without making sure you have it backed up.

For people working directly with Panasonic, you will have your own folder that only you and I will have access to. You will be given your own password so that you can use to post files that are directly from Panasonic.

This is NOT for use as a permanent way to archive footage. I would like to ask that only important files be uploaded ( such as a clip showing a problem with footage, or a way to work around a problem, or footage that looks VERY good, or VERY bad in terms of dealing with the restrictions to the 3MOS chips)

Once you upload your file to the FTP server please contact us via email so that we can check up on the file from time to time (please include file name in email).

Please do not give out the passwords to everyone, if we find abuse of this free service we will shut it down and/or block your IP address from accessing our database.

I, from time to time will be changing passwords so that no abuse of the downloads will happen, I will email you with a new password if your password has changed.

For the time being everyone who uploads a file will upload to the same file that everyone else is (except for the Panasonic direct folder, which will be just for them) So your password will allow you to view other peoples uploads within that folder. This means that if you are uploading a video, it can be viewed by anyone else who has access to downloading.

The use of passwords is only to limit the amount of people downloading at once. It is NOT for security reasons, your password will allow you access to a general folder where everyone elses clips will be stored.

Since we are dealing with very large files, please understand that download times can be very long. If your computer locks up, we cannot be held responsible for that.

Please understand that this will NOT be quick turn-around times to get you access, expect for someone to get back to you within 36 hours or less. I will try my best to get access as quickly as 15 mins, but there are no guarantees.

your link info will be whatever the direct name of the file(s) are.... for example: If you upload a file called "hpxfootage.mov" the link to download that will be: (www.newyorkfilmstudios.com/hpx300/hpxfootage.mov (http://www.newyorkfilmstudios.com/hpx300/hpxfootage.mov)) DO NOT USE CAPS or uppercase letters in your file names.

If you have any other questions please feel free to email us.

Film@NewYorkFilmStudios.com

Hope this helps people in their search for footage from this camera.

- G.P.

David Saraceno
04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Any footage we can now access on your server?

G.P.
04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
Any footage we can now access on your server?

As soon as we get the first clips up and running I will be posting links to where you can see footage. I will try my best to keep everyone updated.

SPZ
04-27-2009, 07:28 PM
Giuseppe, any chance for some handheld ENG type shooting, or Cinema Verité? This was probably the only situation I didn't try the camera. Thanks!

David Saraceno
04-29-2009, 08:44 AM
No uploads at all?

Interesting.

Stijn
04-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Also looking forward for some example shots :)

Joe Shaw
04-29-2009, 09:41 AM
Why isn't there a ton of footage from this camera? I'm amazed that so little has been posted.

G.P.
04-29-2009, 09:59 AM
Hello,

Sorry for the long wait, I had a shoot yesterday that took over my life. I have a few links for you guys...

The first is from Panasonic, Jan has sent us some footage they have shot showing skew and skew compensation via moving camera differently.... A note from Jan "Keep in mind that while it says it is 60i, that is only because it was recorded back to the P2 Portable which will only take a 60i input. The original footage was in 24P." - Jan.

Please remember to use the "right click and save as" option to download these files. You will need to obtain a password from us in order to download the files.

http://www.newyorkfilmstudios.com/hpx300/skewvideo.zip

If accessing directly please note the capital "S" and "V" need to be in SkewVideo.zip otherwise you will get a blank page. The file size has been fixed and should be roughly 903 MB in size.

The next is a P2 folder setup split up into 3 different files (because it was too large). I believe you will need to download all 3 and put them together to view. Here is a note from Lars who uploaded the files:

"All footage: 5600 Kelvin all the way through the clips.
Pal 25P / 50i footage.
Some handheld / Some on tripod.

Clip: 1QC - Judder / Skew in 720P - Looks okay.
Clip: 2IU - Judder / Skew in 1080i - looks bad.
Clip: 3Z9 - Notice the "Skew" in 1080i - I panned slightly fast, but
not handheld, it's on tripod and could be a pan in a documentary or
musikvideo.
Clip: 4IL: 720P testing the "Skew" - which was cool - no issue there.
Clip: 5ZQ - 720P testing the "Skew" - which was cool - no issue there.
Clip: 6YW - Notice the "Little Black Dots" in the very last frame of
the clip (when it's paused - very bad)
Clip: 77Y - Filmed in dark room again, but without the "Gain" feature
on... Open Iris.
Clip: 87F - Is a almost dark room, where i tested the Noise i the
"Gain" function +6db.
Clip: 9AA - Is a almost dark room, where i tested the Noise i the
"Gain" function +12db.
Clip: 105S - Dont remember, but think it's "gained" +6 - +12 db.
Clip: 11AG - Look at the floor in the last couple of frames, it shows
the noise and "Little Black Dots".
Clip: 12MB - Same as Clip: 11AG.
Clip: 13HG - Tested lightsensitivity - Not too good... But haven't
made a side by side test with the EX1.
Clip: 14C5 - Tested the black / Noise - Proved very good i the black
area's.
Clip: 15L6 - Macro - Proved very good... Like the depth of field very
much !
Clip: 16XJ - Did the 720P 50P "Slow" - Think it performed okay - still
a little noice in the grey area's - but okay!
Clip: 177Q - Tried the 1080i "Skew" feature - in a Documentary Mode
(following a person)
Clip: 18PB - Footage from HPX500 - Was testing the Noise / resolution
side by side with the HPX301... You judge it... - Think it's more
Noisy than the HPX301 !
Clip: 19W9 - Footage from HPX500 - Was testing the Noise / resolution
side by side with the HPX301... You judge it..."

The only way for now to download these files are with FTP access. Please E-mail us for the Server, Login, and Password to access via FTP to download clips. We suggest using Firefox Free FTP plugin for Firefox. Email- Film@NewYorkFilmStudios.com and ask for "FTP info to download"

Any problems please e-mail us, I will try to be on top of it as much as possible... I am on shoots constantly so it might not be until late at night that I get back to you.

G.P.
04-29-2009, 05:21 PM
I have had a few requests to download footage, as soon as the pipelines clear up, more passwords will be given out. For those of you who do download the footage, if you could, please comment on what you have noticed so far...

after the next 24 hours, all passwords will be reset to a new one, if you would like to download, again you must contact us for a new password...

EDIT: PASSWORDS ARE NOT CHANGING ANYMORE, IF YOU HAVE A PASSWORD THAT WILL REMAIN THE SAME AND NO WORRIES ABOUT THEM CHANGING IN 24hours

Hope this has been helping get footage into the public hands now.

Run & Gunner
04-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Well after looking at the footage from Jan & Lars I personally conclude the following...

The HPX300 appears to be incredibly similar to JVC's HM700 (of which I have also been viewing footage from) but with one HUGE advantage- the CAC. Interestingly they come with identical stock lenses (Fujinon 17x) but it's plain to me that the CA is way more apparent with the JVC. Not sure why JVC doesn't employ CAC.

I would also say that the noise level on the HPX300 (particularly in the black) is a bit less than JVC's HD200 (and the HM700 for that matter as they share the same innards) but more than Canon's HDV cameras. I've always been amazed how Canon makes such clean/noiseless images even with HDV compression. BTW- I'm viewing everything on a JVC ProHD monitor via Blackmagic card.

I do a ton of run & gun EFP stuff so I've been looking to upgrade our JVC HD200's which is why I'm so interested in the HPX300 (and JVC's HM700). Real EFP lenses on a shoulder form factor and no tape!

I was mostly interested in a break through in low-lite capability which so far is inconclusive.

Thanks to Guiseppe and Lars for setting all this up. The fact that I didn't have to go to NAB or rent a camera to see test footage is phenomenal. If any of you are in San Francisco anytime shoot me an email- I owe you a beer/cocktail.

G.P.
04-30-2009, 03:47 PM
Its good to see this is helping people. I want everyone to know that if you sent a request for access to the FTP you are on a waiting list at the moment, and that's why you have not received a reply yet. You will get access I am just getting flooded and want to make sure nothing crashes.

Access is on a first come first serve basis.

In the next 24 hours the passwords will expire and be reset to new ones, so please do your downloads if you haven't already. If you are downloading from the ftp server I am giving 48 hours, because I know there are a lot of files on there.

Please if you downloaded the files, send us a confirmation that it worked. And please leave some info as to what you think about the footage on here.

Thanks.

G. P.

zijital
04-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Has anyone thought about bit torrent for sharing these demo clips? It would clear up any FTP server troubles & bandwith issues (if any).

G.P.
05-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Has anyone thought about bit torrent for sharing these demo clips? It would clear up any FTP server troubles & bandwith issues (if any).

With bit torrent its really asking for virus's and other security breaches which I know many people dont want. especially if they are on their production computers.

Stijn
05-03-2009, 02:12 AM
I've downloaded al 3 folder of P2 content but cant import them in final cut pro?
How should i do that ? It asks for a reference file or something...

thx for any help!

David Saraceno
05-03-2009, 06:22 AM
Only two or three of the clips will import in FCP 6.0.5. Others should preview unsupported, and won't import/transcode although you can see the thumbnail.

Unfortunate.

Cees Mutsaers
05-03-2009, 07:17 AM
The HPX300 is now available and I still wonder why there is so less footage kicking around, this is not a good sign !!!!!!! Come on guys send us some real world footage and dump it somewhere where we can view it without needing passwords which seem to be available for intimy only ! Sorry had a bad week.

edit why cant the moderators open a section like in the HPX500 section called "Screen Grabs/Clips of HPX300 Footage (http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/forumdisplay.php?f=119)"

Lars Henriksen
05-03-2009, 07:38 AM
I've downloaded al 3 folder of P2 content but cant import them in final cut pro?
How should i do that ? It asks for a reference file or something...

thx for any help!

You need to put the content of the two "Video" Folders, into the "Content / Video" folder of the actual "P2 Card"

It needs to have exactly 19 Clips in the video folder for it too mount correctly as a P2 Card... ;-)

Regards

Lars Henriksen
Fieldproduction.dk

G.P.
05-03-2009, 09:33 PM
You need to put the content of the two "Video" Folders, into the "Content / Video" folder of the actual "P2 Card"

It needs to have exactly 19 Clips in the video folder for it too mount correctly as a P2 Card... ;-)

Regards

Lars Henriksen
Fieldproduction.dk

Thanks Lars, yeah anyone having trouble with them must do this in order for it to work.

The passwords ended up not being changed due to technical reasons. I am handing out more every night. everyone will get a turn. These are very large files so we are doing our best to host them without having any types of bottle necks or crashes.

renhinks
05-03-2009, 11:28 PM

Regards

Lars Henriksen
Fieldproduction.dk

I too have tried to preview and ingest Lars clips (and I took the time to DL all 19 video files, and yes, placed them in the proper folder within Contents - 19 clips, 19 icons, 19 video). Although his clip thumnails show up in the Log and Transfer window, the preview window indicates "Limited Preview" and "Preview unsupported for this format", and when I went to queue one of them, it twirled/attempted to ingest for a bit, then came up empty, an exclamation mark inside a little stop sign - "Error-no data".

I searched help files for Log and Transfer operation and couldn't find anything that addresses any format incompatibility except, in my case, I discovered what a PPC G5 CAN'T do. If I had been paying attention, I would have caught, what, maybe a century ago, that AVC-Intra files can't be used on my PPC Dual 2G G5 (so says a warning box that won't even let the clips show up in FCP 6.0.5 Log and Transfer). So Jan's Panasonic demo file that I DL (twice!) remains a mystery to me. But Lars' footage at least shows up in the Log and Transfer Browser window so I'm stumped. What format are Lars' clips are in and why they playing hard to get? I've been shooting 720 24pN or SD 24pA anamorphic nearly exclusively for several years now and perhaps I've become too complacent - what am I missin' here?

G.P.
05-04-2009, 09:06 AM
I too have tried to preview and ingest Lars clips (and I took the time to DL all 19 video files, and yes, placed them in the proper folder within Contents - 19 clips, 19 icons, 19 video). Although his clip thumnails show up in the Log and Transfer window, the preview window indicates "Limited Preview" and "Preview unsupported for this format", and when I went to queue one of them, it twirled/attempted to ingest for a bit, then came up empty, an exclamation mark inside a little stop sign - "Error-no data".

I searched help files for Log and Transfer operation and couldn't find anything that addresses any format incompatibility except, in my case, I discovered what a PPC G5 CAN'T do. If I had been paying attention, I would have caught, what, maybe a century ago, that AVC-Intra files can't be used on my PPC Dual 2G G5 (so says a warning box that won't even let the clips show up in FCP 6.0.5 Log and Transfer). So Jan's Panasonic demo file that I DL (twice!) remains a mystery to me. But Lars' footage at least shows up in the Log and Transfer Browser window so I'm stumped. What format are Lars' clips are in and why they playing hard to get? I've been shooting 720 24pN or SD 24pA anamorphic nearly exclusively for several years now and perhaps I've become too complacent - what am I missin' here?

Lars can you help with this? Maybe check out the files on my server to make sure things are in the right place? I had a few people say this now, but we've also had a few people with no problems, so it might be peoples computer setup. If there is anyone who viewed Lars's videos with no problem could you please speak up on here and tell us what your specs are for your computer?

Stijn
05-04-2009, 12:06 PM
I have the same problem then the person above... Really weird... I have the preview thumbnailes but i got a black screen when i play the video with the panasonic p2 viewer software...

David Saraceno
05-04-2009, 12:36 PM
I thought that Jan C. had provided some footage of the strip at Las Vegas.

The footage I'm finally able to evaluate doesn't help much.

Is there more?

Run & Gunner
05-04-2009, 03:25 PM
After organizing Lars' footage correctly (making sure all the MXF files are in the right place) I then had to go get the AVC intra codec from Panasonic (just google it and you'll find it). I used Log and Transfer in FCP to extract the video files. No muss no fuss. Octocore with 8GB Ram.

If you are having problems then you must have the file structure wrong somewhere.

renhinks
05-04-2009, 04:22 PM
After organizing Lars' footage correctly (making sure all the MXF files are in the right place) I then had to go get the AVC intra codec from Panasonic (just google it and you'll find it). I used Log and Transfer in FCP to extract the video files. No muss no fuss. Octocore with 8GB Ram.

If you are having problems then you must have the file structure wrong somewhere.

Well that answers the mystery then for me, mostly. As I posted earlier, I'm running a Dual 2G PPC G5 -- PPC, not Intel based.

If the AVC-Intra codec (https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/desk/e/download.htm#quicktime) is required, then I guess Lars' footage is AVC-Intra (just stands to reason :)). But unlike Jan's Panasonic footage which flashes a warning about the incompatability of AVC-Intra and PPC Macs when I try to open her folder, Lars' footage does actually show up as thumbnails in the FCP Log and Transfer Browser window, but that's as far as I could get - no Preview, no Ingest. Youda thunk that if his footage was the same format as Jan's, they both would have hit the brakes the minute I tried to open the folder. Ah well...

G.P.
05-04-2009, 07:41 PM
I know this might be a backwards thing to do, but is anyone willing to take the AVC-Intra clips that are on my server and export them to Quicktime files that others can see... I've noticed a lot of people want to see what it looks like after FCP handles the files (considering thats the program most of us are using to handle the footage via editing).

If anyone is willing to do this, please let me know, and we will post your converted footage.

Stijn
05-05-2009, 01:38 AM
I know this might be a backwards thing to do, but is anyone willing to take the AVC-Intra clips that are on my server and export them to Quicktime files that others can see... I've noticed a lot of people want to see what it looks like after FCP handles the files (considering thats the program most of us are using to handle the footage via editing).

If anyone is willing to do this, please let me know, and we will post your converted footage.
I still dont understand why we can play those files. While the files from the hpx500 can be played thru...
Cant import them in FCP and cant view them in panasonic's p2 browser software...
If someone could do the above, that would be great...

David Saraceno
05-06-2009, 04:41 PM
It would be great if you guys would respond to emails at least within a few days.

best

Lars Henriksen
05-07-2009, 02:44 AM
Hi guys...

Sorry, that i have been away for a while, but now im back!

Yes the files are Both 720P and 1080i 50 Hz Pal files AVC-Intra 100... So, if your trying with your NTSC software to ingest, it might turn out to be a problem.

And YES - You'll need the AVC-Intra codec from pana's website.

It dosen't matter, as Jan from Pana said in this thread: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=168321
That if you ingest it as a ProRes Codec, it will be more Noisy or Skewey - its a load of C... !
It's eaqually as noisy/skewey in raw P2 files codec (AVC-Intra) !

Further more - I've also noticed the problems with the AVC-Intra codec and the compatibility with NLE systems across the line... It's pretty difficult to make it work with other small programs like P2CMS / HDLog etc. (just my opinion)

Hope this helps - and by the way... Do put the right videofiles in the right folders that you download, otherwise, it won't work at all.

Regards

Lars Ege
Fieldproduction.dk

Stijn
05-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Yes, it works now! Just need to dowload the avc intro codec from panny and then you can see the movie's. Great! Thx!

G.P.
05-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Just to let everyone know, I am continuing to give out the info. I have noticed a few people having trouble with the downloads. As we tested we found nothing wrong with the links/footage. It seems to be a few people having trouble with their ISP with handling the large downloads. We cannot do anything to help this unfortunately.

This is again why I would ask for help with someone willing to convert these files to Quicktime in proress so we can get slightly easier downloads for some people who have system compatibility issues.

From what Lars has said above, it seems true that proress is NOT making the footage more noise filled, and that the noise issue is apparent in the raw p2 footage as well. This eliminates the reason for worrying about proress being the problem.

It would be nice to compare a raw p2 file to a then transcoded Quicktime proress 422 file, and see any differences. Anyone willing to help?

G.P.
05-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Is there anyone else willing to post HD footage from the camera? either in Proress 422 or Native P2 ?

Ben Digedig
05-16-2009, 05:42 AM
G - I've uploaded a 200Mb MP4 'BAD PICs' file and a Gig of some nice pics. I dont think anyone's viewed them, or given feedback/comment, but I dont mind uploading native P2 MXF clips. However there are so many on a 16Gb card (a week's uploading!) so I'd need to delete most of them with a guarantee that it would work the other end on download. Any tips on this would be useful - especially now CMS has stopped working for me (but that's another thread). BD

Barry_Green
05-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Lars, do you know what your camera settings were when you got that noisy footage?

G.P.
05-18-2009, 12:41 PM
Update on footage upload/download...

We have seen NO problems with our servers going slow, or crashing because of too many gigs flowing, so for the time being we are keeping the passwords we gave out, the same.

This means at any point in time some new footage is posted, you can use your password we gave you, to download the new footage. If a problem comes up where things lock up our servers, we will have to reset everything. So far so good though.

I am still hoping to get some ProRes 422 files from FCP on there. Again, if anyone has the time to take some of the footage from LARS to convert them to prores that would be great!

Thanks to all. Hope this has been a help.

G.

Eric1138
05-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Giuseppe -

I sent an email for a password, but never heard back...can I still get one?

Thanks!

G.P.
05-24-2009, 03:09 AM
If you have not received an email back from us for a password please make sure you are emailing us at film@newyorkfilmstudios.com anything else will not be check for the passwords.

I have a question, someone posted up on our server a clip called: OLD_SETTINGS_HD_720.

Can you please give us more information about this clip... This is one of the noisiest clips I've seen, and it seems that when you do what every says to do... "go to -3db gain to reduce noise" the only the that happens is the picture gets darker... The noise stays exactly the same... Please post what frame rates and shutter speeds this was shot at, also what codec.

That was pretty disturbing footage from a professional camera. I believe it was at 49.98 for the framerate.

G.P.
05-24-2009, 05:09 AM
This newest clip can clearly show SKEW at its worst, NOISE pretty bad, and Color grading holding up very well.

look for file called goodbadugly.mov on the FTP server.

Also shows skew in Slomo comments welcome.

I am trying to get info if this was all shot in 720p or if there was 1080p as well downressed to 720.... considering they showed DRS in one of the tests I am guessing that it was all shot in 720p considering DRS only works in 720p.

Codec in AVC-I

I have to say, the noise is quite horrible in the very first shots, it seems that green likes to be a very noisy color

suthvid
05-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I emailed a request for a password the first couple of days but never received one. What do I do to to the site?
John

hotchkiss
05-24-2009, 02:15 PM
I've tried to download and open the skew video that Jan had put on the FTP site, on two different computers. The zip files do not finish decompressing , so I can't see them. I dunno what the deal is...?

Could someone here describe to me what methods were employed by the Panasonic DP to minimize/ eliminate skew in the 1080/24p footage (Vegas strip stuff) ? I'm curious as to how the shooting was modified to the skew. The footage is handheld- correct ?

Any takers ? Jan ?

I'd be much obliged .

Ben Digedig
05-25-2009, 01:25 AM
I have a question, someone posted up on our server a clip called: OLD_SETTINGS_HD_720.

Can you please give us more information about this clip... This is one of the noisiest clips I've seen, and it seems that when you do what every says to do... "go to -3db gain to reduce noise" the only the that happens is the picture gets darker... The noise stays exactly the same... Please post what frame rates and shutter speeds this was shot at, also what codec.

That was pretty disturbing footage from a professional camera. I believe it was at 49.98 for the framerate.

This was at pretty close to standard settings - noise on the water is bad. I have managed far better with my latest settings (as detailed elsewhere).

I think this was shot at 720P using AVC i 50 ('PAL'). No shutter was in - so a std 50Hz.

Is this a "professional camera" G, as you say or are we kidding ourselves at this price point and level of compromises needed to achieve it? I love the professional functionality and form factor and have had great results yesterday from it - pics addressing skew/rolling shutter non-issues (in this application/codec) elsewhere.

Also G - can you find something positive to say maybe about the other clip I uploaded with better settings just to help keep the balance? Its the stuff with landscapes and kids by the lake. When I say I've had results that blow me away I totally mean it, but I hate that (old?) noise as much as you.

BD

G.P.
05-25-2009, 02:54 AM
This was at pretty close to standard settings - noise on the water is bad. I have managed far better with my latest settings (as detailed elsewhere).

I think this was shot at 720P using AVC i 50 ('PAL'). No shutter was in - so a std 50Hz.

Is this a "professional camera" G, as you say or are we kidding ourselves at this price point and level of compromises needed to achieve it? I love the professional functionality and form factor and have had great results yesterday from it - pics addressing skew/rolling shutter non-issues (in this application/codec) elsewhere.

Also G - can you find something positive to say maybe about the other clip I uploaded with better settings just to help keep the balance? Its the stuff with landscapes and kids by the lake. When I say I've had results that blow me away I totally mean it, but I hate that (old?) noise as much as you.

BD

Actually yes I did like the clip with the kids, in fact the slomo shot with the boy throwing the rock at the water was very nice, I have to say the DRS does a great job, but I cant tell if its introducing more noise in the footage or not. The slomo shots really looked much more like what I was hoping we would get out of this camera, it also shows how much you can push the colors.

I stated elsewhere on this forum that using the noise as "film grain" could be a very positive thing, and I brought it up to a director of a feature film we are working on. The camera is being optioned as one of them to shoot the film. Its a "dark and gritty" film so the film grain look would actually help.

On another note, I keep seeing people saying they cant work with the ZIP file Jan uploaded on our server... Is everyone having problems with it now? I for a while heard it was fine and the problem was peoples systems, but now i havent heard anything since then...

I'm sure if we have to upload the file again we will.

hotchkiss
05-25-2009, 08:26 AM
Actually yes I did like the clip with the kids, in fact the slomo shot with the boy throwing the rock at the water was very nice, I have to say the DRS does a great job, but I cant tell if its introducing more noise in the footage or not. The slomo shots really looked much more like what I was hoping we would get out of this camera, it also shows how much you can push the colors.

I stated elsewhere on this forum that using the noise as "film grain" could be a very positive thing, and I brought it up to a director of a feature film we are working on. The camera is being optioned as one of them to shoot the film. Its a "dark and gritty" film so the film grain look would actually help.

On another note, I keep seeing people saying they cant work with the ZIP file Jan uploaded on our server... Is everyone having problems with it now? I for a while heard it was fine and the problem was peoples systems, but now i havent heard anything since then...

I'm sure if we have to upload the file again we will.

Good morning Giuseppe,

I tried to download Jan's zip file again last night after upgrading to the newest version of Stuffit (just to make sure), and no dice. The file won't finish uncompressing, I suspect there's something up with it. It would be great if you could upload it again.

Thanks man.

David Saraceno
05-25-2009, 09:01 AM
Giuseppe:

The Jan footage variously shows at 178 MBs and 878 MB/s

I've downloaded with two Mac clients a half a dozen times.

Like the other poster, every time I get an error message when trying to unzipped.

It is kind of frustrating, and I would hope that you might address this.

G.P.
05-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Giuseppe:

The Jan footage variously shows at 178 MBs and 878 MB/s

I've downloaded with two Mac clients a half a dozen times.

Like the other poster, every time I get an error message when trying to unzipped.

It is kind of frustrating, and I would hope that you might address this.

Thanks for letting me know, I think the files were messed around with, I am going to get a fresh download from Jan and upload it to our servers. Most likely this will take a few days, until then please feel free to browse around the FTP folder and check out all the other stuff uploaded on there.

Jan_Crittenden
05-26-2009, 04:35 PM
David,

Be sure that you have unzipped the folder, more that just being able to see the folders and contents. That first opening is just to show you what is there. Once you see the files go back to the Pulldown on File lable and choose unzip files. Then and only then will the fills really be unzipped. Yes it is a little unintuitive, but take it from someone who learned the same way as you are. Once you have the contents folder unzipped you should be golden.

Good luck,

Jan

G.P.
05-27-2009, 04:07 AM
The Zip Folder is being fixed, we don't know when it happened but the file size is incorrect. The old ZIP folder has been deleted and a fresh one is being uploaded to the server as we speak.

We ask kindly that anyone wanting to download that zip folder hold off until at least 4 hours from this post.

All other footage has reported no problems with downloading.

Anyone who had trouble with accessing her folder within the past few days will be given a new password upon request. Until then we have many other user uploaded clips that you can download from our FTP site, some in raw P2 file formats and others in easy to view .MOV and .MP4 downloads as well.

G.P.
05-27-2009, 06:00 AM
The file:

http://newyorkfilmstudios.com/hpx300/SkewVideo.zip

Is back up and running, the file size was fixed and should not cause any problems. If problems arise please make sure you are using the proper ways to download as instructed on page 1 of this thread.

This file has been tested with direct downloads and FTP access download via FireFox and FireFox FTP. Please download and use FireFox and FireFox FTP for FREE to have the least amount of problems when downloading our files.

Footage is always welcome, please send MXF files if you have, as well as ProRess.

I would like to see some footage other than tests of Skew or Noise, and instead get some real world footage of the camera in use on a project, such as interviews, short films, live action, and more. Since a lot of the footage we have been getting is 720p we would kindly ask that we be sent 1080p footage as well. We can handle the size so don't be shy!

1080p native footage is very useful in seeing what this camera can really do and would love to see some footage like what we have seen from Phillip Bloom in his use of the camera.

NYFS is working on getting our hands on a camera for a full day's shoot, if you want to be a part of this test please let us know. This will most likely be in the NYC area, more details to come. We will be shooting "Cine Style" with 35mm adapters and actors in multiple lighting setups including outdoors, indoors, green screen, and night time footage. We will also shoot without 35mm adapters to be fair in comparison. We will test hand-held, tripod, dolly, and if time permits jib and Steadicam as well.

hotchkiss
05-27-2009, 07:17 AM
The file:

http://newyorkfilmstudios.com/hpx300/SkewVideo.zip

Is back up and running, the file size was fixed and should not cause any problems. If problems arise please make sure you are using the proper ways to download as instructed on page 1 of this thread.

This file has been tested with direct downloads and FTP access download via FireFox and FireFox FTP. Please download and use FireFox and FireFox FTP for FREE to have the least amount of problems when downloading our files.

Footage is always welcome, please send MXF files if you have, as well as ProRess.

I would like to see some footage other than tests of Skew or Noise, and instead get some real world footage of the camera in use on a project, such as interviews, short films, live action, and more. Since a lot of the footage we have been getting is 720p we would kindly ask that we be sent 1080p footage as well. We can handle the size so don't be shy!

1080p native footage is very useful in seeing what this camera can really do and would love to see some footage like what we have seen from Phillip Bloom in his use of the camera.

NYFS is working on getting our hands on a camera for a full day's shoot, if you want to be a part of this test please let us know. This will most likely be in the NYC area, more details to come. We will be shooting "Cine Style" with 35mm adapters and actors in multiple lighting setups including outdoors, indoors, green screen, and night time footage. We will also shoot without 35mm adapters to be fair in comparison. We will test hand-held, tripod, dolly, and if time permits jib and Steadicam as well.

Hey G,

I just wanted to thank you for the time and resources you've put into getting more info out about the 300.

A big Thank you !

G.P.
05-31-2009, 03:00 AM
New ProRes HQ clips uploaded to our server, folders are zipped and start with the name rushe. Please user our FTP option to download the files, our servers usually push them out at around 500mbps downloads shouldn't take more than a few mins.

The footage looks great, clean and clear.
Info:

HPX301 + JVC hz-ca13u adaptor + Zeiss vario sonnar zoom 12-120mm T2
Lens was mostly open at T4 - T5.6
camera was around 3 meter / 9.8 foots of the subject

lighting setup was light :
2 x sunbouces
1 x 1.2K Arri Fresnel HMI

it was not possible to plug the hmi on the first picture scene (only 2 sunbounce)

camera setting & scene file :
1080p 25
gain : -3db
WB : manual on a withe card (70%)

DETAIL LEVEL: 4
V DETAIL LEVEL: 1
DETAIL CORING : 3
CHROMA LEVEL: -7
CHROMA PHASE: -1
COLOR TEMP Ach: 0
COLOR TEMP Bch: -1
MASTER PED: -6