PDA

View Full Version : GH1 has EXCELLENT Dynamic Range / Latitude

LizaWitz
04-27-2009, 10:01 AM
(Ok, I am tired of those threads started just to bash the camera.)

Check out this footage:
http://www.vimeo.com/4354393

Particularly around 1:40 or so in the underground garage. The Sony is obviously a brighter image but in the areas washed out in the sony you see detail on the GH1. In the areas where the GH1 is dark you have detail, but even less on the Sony.

Maybe not a fair comparison, but watching the footage side by side with another camera sure highlights how wide the range on the Panasonic is.

cinebuddy
04-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Why bother trying to defend the camera? It's as ridiculous as attacking it. Kholi and Hunter we'll have one in their hands in mere moments...two real DP's who don't shoot flowers and tree leafs. I see you only have 66 posts on this board, stick around anything new gets bashed on this board and any other.

Tim Joy
04-27-2009, 10:39 AM
I can't really tell because they're driving on the wrong side of the road.

Solomon Chase
04-27-2009, 10:49 AM
So far, I think it's more average than "dissapointing" OR "excellent". The Sony is overexposed, and it's got a much smaller sensor than the GH1.

Someone shoot me a stouffer chart (http://www.stouffer.net/graphics/tp21.jpg), STAT!

j
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
> I can't really tell because they're driving on the wrong side of the road.

Ha!

That's about as much comment one can make about these non-standard "tests"

;-)

LizaWitz
04-27-2009, 12:27 PM
I downloaded the original file from Vimeo. From the first frame I was able to see much of the missing detail in the dark areas on the GH1 side, particularly the building. However, the missing detail in the license plate on the Sony side I wasn't able to bring out.

Imperfect as it is, this video indicates to me (especially on the whole) that the GH1 has higher dynamic range than the Sony, in this particular configuration of both cameras.

Isaac_Brody
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Again, it just boggles my mind when people try to come to any definitive conclusions based on youtube or vimeo footage, especially when you're viewing stuff that someone else shot that has no information about settings.

What if someone shot footage and posted it to vimeo and purposely flubbed the compression on one of the clips? You would never know. Not saying this is the case, but you can't tell what kind of operator error occured, if the footage is oversharpened, the black level crushed, or if they chose a lower compression setting for upload.

Oy vey.... :huh::bath:

LizaWitz
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
No definitive conclusions here. We're just reading tea leaves!

Isaac_Brody
04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
More like entrails. :thumbsup:

RobbySonic
04-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Its hard to see the difference, especially in the night-time or in darker scenes. Panasonic always seem to show richer color than the Sonys. I would let the real DVX-USERs be the judge(lol) or just wait until the camera gets officially released. Isaac is right, you don't really know what settings were actually used, and personally that sample comparison was a little weak.

I would prefer to see more daylight footage and real skin tones to compare.

dadoboy
04-28-2009, 01:37 AM
It is hard to make a comparison between these two cameras because we don't know what F-stop and ISO they were using. Sony consumer cameras often have F1.6-1.8 on the wide parts of their zooms, whereas the GH1 14-140mm is a F4 at the brightest: that's a differece of about 3 stops on the lens - huge.

I appreciate that the person went to the trouble of doing the side by side test but it doesn't reveal much without knowing what settings he used. Whenever you under expose or over expose it does screwy things to shadow and highlight details.

Also, you have to remember what makes the GH1 stand out is its large sensor - and subsequent creative flexibility with DOF. I'm sure the XR520v like so many other 1/3" cameras can do great things with low light and 1080p, however that's not why we're all here glued to this forum.