PDA

View Full Version : Did We All Miss This On The Firmware Update?

David Saraceno
04-20-2009, 08:30 AM
http://www.studiodaily.com/main/news/Panasonic-Bows-New-Low-Priced-E-Series-P2-Cards_10793.html

"Also announced at NAB is the new flashband compensation system to overcome problems with video captured by a MOS sensor that includes flashes of light. A free firmware upgrade to address the issue in the recently launched AG-HPX300 P2 HD camcorder is slated to be available for download sometime this summer."

Also:

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=342749&modelNo=Content04162009021155613&surfModel=Content04162009021155613

puredrifting
04-20-2009, 09:11 AM
Nice.

There has been a thread over on DV Info about this for a while but I never read it because I had no idea what Flash Band compensation was.

Dan

AwakenedFilms
04-20-2009, 10:22 AM
Too bad it doesn't fix the skewing at 1080 24pn. I guess photographer flashes are more important to the majority of ENG users...

Jason

dcsimages
04-20-2009, 10:40 AM
Too bad it doesn't fix the skewing at 1080 24pn. I guess photographer flashes are more important to the majority of ENG users...

Jason

Or easier to implement.

SPZ
04-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Good news. Its nice to see Panasonic working around the clock on the issues of Cmos imagers. Half, or 1/3 of the camera's shortcomings, is solved. Next on the line: Signal to Noise and 1080p rolling shutter. the camera's 720p performance is top in its class, so lets see if a fix follows quickly to make it the camera to get by this Summer- which will see the introduction of the Scarlet, and probably a competing Canon product...

Jan_Crittenden
04-21-2009, 06:19 AM
Actually if you move the camera in consideration of the ASC motion judder tables with relation to the frame rate and mm length of the lens, there is no skew issue. I sent a guy out to the stip to track cars, and shoot buildings and while he could make it skew, when he followed the rules for the Motion Judder, he did not have an issue.

And yes, the FBC is pretty cool.

Best,

Jan

SPZ
04-22-2009, 01:19 AM
I could work with the 1080p mode and shoot motion with it no problem from the camera I tested, Jan. But the main concern here could be the noise issue. I don't know if you've seen the footage I posted from China. This was out of the box, everything set to 0. Now if people are getting different and better results from US cameras- notice that complains are coming from Non US countries- something is not right to the international shipment of the camera, or on the FCP prores workflow. Will you guys get into this? Just trying to find where the problem is, since I'm also on the fence. My main gripe with the 300 is if my Glidecam 4000+ smooth shooter rig can handle it, as well as my 519 Manfrotto head and Miller solo DV Legs. Its also a matter of complete support gear change...

Jan_Crittenden
04-22-2009, 06:24 AM
Jason

Actually Jason, if you follow the ASC chart on Motion Judder so that you do not have judder on the motion in 24P, you won't have skew either.

And yes fixing the photo flashes fo those that do work in the realm of making footage from red carpet walks, press conferences and the is important.

The skew you can control, the flashes you can't. The fact that it is a MOS imager with rolling shutter will always remain. We do have a wide variety of CCD based cameras that do not have these artifacts.

All the best,

Jan

Jan_Crittenden
04-22-2009, 06:30 AM
I could work with the 1080p mode and shoot motion with it no problem from the camera I tested, Jan. But the main concern here could be the noise issue. I don't know if you've seen the footage I posted from China. This was out of the box, everything set to 0.

Have you looked at the footage playing back from the camera and seen these artifacts? I think that should be where you start in trying to define this because I am not seeting this here.

Now if people are getting different and better results from US cameras- notice that complains are coming from Non US countries- something is not right to the international shipment of the camera, or on the FCP prores workflow. Will you guys get into this?

Take a look at just the playback from the camera and see if it is there. Can't get into it if I can't reproduce it. All the stuff we have playing in the booth was posted in ProRes and FCP.

Just trying to find where the problem is, since I'm also on the fence. My main gripe with the 300 is if my Glidecam 4000+ smooth shooter rig can handle it, as well as my 519 Manfrotto head and Miller solo DV Legs. Its also a matter of complete support gear change...

Can't help with the support issue either, it simply is a larger camera, about 13 lbs with a HyTRON50 on it and lens.

Best,

Jan