View Full Version : File structure not intact w/ main concept
04-14-2009, 05:07 AM
I've accidentally renamed some of the files in the STREAM folder. Is there an easy way to rectify this situation (other than renaming the files to their original #)? I'd like to transcode the entire folder to a Virtual P2 card with Main Concept and I keep getting error messages. Is there another transcoding program that will export to P2?
Also is there anyway to view thumbnails in Windows XP? I can play the files in VLC but that's it.
04-14-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm not sure if this helps, but with Windows 7 WMP has native support for AVCHD, so you can pop open the card's MTS files right into Windows Media Player and I think it'll do thumbnails, too.
Just something to look forward to, haha ;)
04-16-2009, 02:50 PM
^I noticed that when I tried it, really loved having thumbnails in explorer. On the other hand, that will not help him transcode. ;)
The transcoder is pretty picky about the file names because it needs to match up file data outside of the stream folder that references the original file names. This is annoying if you only have the streams or have messed with the names at all. On the other hand it is the preferred way to go in the future because it copies over metadata and your timecode. I don't believe the stream file has any of that information.
So it would be easiest to use the originals or name the files back. Of course if that is your only copy, it could be a bit of a pain to figure out which file is which. If you still have all clips you could arrange by date created to figure out the order.
04-28-2009, 07:54 PM
We ran into the same problem, even when we didn't alter the file or the structure. The workaround was to take it directly into Adobe as an AVCHD and render out. The real solution we found later was AVCCAM Viewer / restorer available on the Panasonic download page. The viewer is very nice, easy to see your footage, and you can copy it from the card to your computer using the software. the package comes with a restorer, which we just pointed to our card, pressed go, and it took about 3 minutes and popped up and said "fixed". I then was able to transcode with MainConcept with no errors.