PDA

View Full Version : Novoflex adapter?

Tony_Reyes
04-12-2009, 09:19 PM
For those of you who own one...

Is this worth shelling out the 270 bucks?

Are their other adapters out there that are cheaper but just as good?

I'm kind of thinking that this is the whole "you get what you pay for" deal. I'd rather spend the extra money and have a quality product.

Also does it allow the lens to connect flush with the body? It seems like it would change a 50mm lens to a 51mm lens? Does it have a negative effect at all?

Thanks

morgan_moore
04-12-2009, 10:07 PM
Focal length (50-51) is nothing to do with adapters

I have theses novoflexes

They work fine

they are areound 100 UK which is way less than $270

I am not sure that the $25 are not OK too

What you are after in adapter is a good tight fit so that there is no wobble when you rack focus

There are more expensive products that sort out the lack of aperture ring on nikkor G lenses

S

cinebuddy
04-13-2009, 07:57 AM
I have a 7 dollar one and it works fine.

Lee Wilson
04-13-2009, 12:55 PM
I have a Novoflex and a cheap-o-ebay one.

Both work fine, the Novoflex is very nicely made, and very very easy to put on and take off.

newadam
04-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I just ordered and received a ebay one which was $8 plus $8 shipping. I have a 5dmkII and a Zeiss 85mm 1.4 I was planning on using with it. It works, but the one I have has too much play when focusing on the Zeiss. I think it is because the Zeiss has a firmer focus wheel than a typical Nikon or Canon SLR lens. It would be difficult, but not impossible to do a quick rack focus with the Zeiss. It would be fine for locked down shots. The problem is the latch to lock it on the 5D is too loose. I think it would be fine on a standard Nikon lens, but I cannot test since I sold all my nikon lenses. Does anyone have a cheap adapter which they have used successfully with a Zeiss lens?

Adam

Tony_Reyes
04-13-2009, 09:28 PM
i bit the bullet and bought a Novaflex adapter with a 50mm Zeiss. i'm experiencing a little buyers remorse on the adapter purchase. it was expensive : /

hopefully it's worth it.

Lee Wilson
04-14-2009, 03:57 PM
i bit the bullet and bought a Novaflex adapter with a 50mm Zeiss. i'm experiencing a little buyers remorse on the adapter purchase. it was expensive : /

hopefully it's worth it.

It is worth it.

Finster
04-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I was looking at this adapter on B&H. It says "Allows a Nikon type lens to be mounted unto a Canon EOS type camera."

So I can go on ebay and purchase any Nikon lens, and it'll work?

I just don't know a whole lot about Nikon lenses. I was looking on wikipedia - there seems to be quite a variety - Ai, Ai-S, E, P, AF, D, G, blah, blah, blah.

Lee Wilson
04-14-2009, 05:32 PM
I was looking at this adapter on B&H. It says "Allows a Nikon type lens to be mounted unto a Canon EOS type camera."

So I can go on ebay and purchase any Nikon lens, and it'll work?

I just don't know a whole lot about Nikon lenses. I was looking on wikipedia - there seems to be quite a variety - Ai, Ai-S, E, P, AF, D, G, blah, blah, blah.

Pretty much.

Avoid 'G' lenses as they have no aperture ring (you need a special adaptor to allow you to set the aperture with G lenses).

Finster
04-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Good to know. Thanks Lee.

Lee Wilson
04-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Good to know. Thanks Lee.

Basically just look for an aperture ring !

The G lens here is the one in the upper right without an aperture ring.

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8429/13016848.gif

Finster
04-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Nice illustration. Thanks!

What are the DISADVANTAGES to using a Nikon lens on a Canon body??? This is all very curious to me since I used to own all Nikon gear, but just recently converted to Canon.

I'm definitely just a hobbyist, btw.

ChristianScott
04-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Er, i guess the only disadvantage to using nikon lens with the 5d, is no auto controls, like auto focus etc,

and i brought a adapter from ebay for 20 and it works great no problems

like this one only mine was from the uk, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160309862497&cguid=0e0c3f8211f0a0aad3c2a8a2ff908074

Tony_Reyes
04-15-2009, 02:08 PM
I'm glad someone said it was worth it : ) I guess I'll know for sure next wednesday when everything comes in!

Very nice illustration btw Lee.

And yeah I think the only disadvantages are that the lens isn't going to communicate with the camera body at all. Meaning no auto focus for the most part which a lot of us aren't using anyways to shoot HD.