PDA

View Full Version : Can the 5D MKII dump video to an HD without a computer?

puredrifting
04-12-2009, 07:53 PM
Hi all:

I can dump P2 cards with just my HPX170 and a hard drive, no computer needed. Can the Canon 5D MKII also do this or only with a computer?

Dan

Littleton
04-12-2009, 08:32 PM
Hi all:

I can dump P2 cards with just my HPX170 and a hard drive, no computer needed. Can the Canon 5D MKII also do this or only with a computer?

Dan
Yes it can, but you'd need the wireless attachment (WFT-E4A) to dump to a HD. You can also use the wireless attachment to record directly to an external HD.

Oynk
04-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Yes and no.

For the 5D to do that, you need to add a WFT-E4A (wireless transmitter).

The other option would be something like the Griffin adapter for an iPod (where the drive can be the USB host.

dantewaters
04-17-2009, 12:46 PM
There is a device that grabs data off CF cards, not sure if it can do video but I don't see why not.
When did you get a 5D Dan?

puredrifting
04-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Got it on order.

Yes, I have been checking those devices out. There are quite a few of them, I may end up going that way.

Wolverine ETS
Nexto DI?
Epson P-7000

But they all rely on mechanical HDs, makes me nervous to have an entire shoot only on one hard drive. I may just shoot more conservatively and buy a lot of CF cards instead.

Dan

hungrych
04-17-2009, 02:22 PM
there coming out with 64gb cf cards and they already have 32, I would just buy a bunch of those.

ESTEBEVERDE
04-17-2009, 09:49 PM
Just get multiple cards much more reliable,

Finster
04-18-2009, 06:10 AM
Canon's web site says: "Full HD Video capture at 1920 x 1080 resolution for up to 4GB per clip."

I'm confused. What does that last part (4GB per clip) mean exactly? The camera stops recording after you reach 4GB?

puredrifting
04-18-2009, 07:51 AM
Correct. The camera is only capable of shooting up to 4GB at a time, which is usually about 12 minutes. Then you have to fool it again to give you the correct ISO and shutter and aperture unless you are using Nikons, Mylar or the twist the lens trick. Makes it a bit dicey for trying to do professional work. Non-repeatable exposure is one of the major complaints about the 5D MKII. 4GB clips is another. The camera probably functions best as a b camera or as a camera for art and personal based projects.

If I am shooting professionally, I would always default to a professional video camera with real manual controls. The Canon, while it can shoot breathtaking images, is a hack to try to get it to do what you want unless the rumors floating around about a manual firmware update come true.

Dan

barryfm
04-27-2009, 10:48 AM
Not as an ad Dan But you mentioned your concern with the moving HD which is why we offer Nexto with solid state also.

Barry

puredrifting
04-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Barry:

Do you mean an SSD drive or something else?

Saw your NAB clips, the product looks very nice but I am a bit reticent to gamble an entire production in Europe to any single hard drive as hard drives are so unreliable. How easily can you change out the hard drive in your product? Is it feasible to bring a Nexto with an extra drive and change out the drive for each card dump or would that be impractical? During normal P2 production, I never consider my footage safe until it resides on at least two separate hard drives.

Thanks,

Dan