PDA

View Full Version : Attraction to VDSLRs

Joseph Stunzi
04-12-2009, 01:44 AM
Hey guys,

Call it the scientist in me... but I thought I'd do a little poll to research the attraction to VDSLRs. Don't get me wrong, the 5D2, D90, Lumix, are all great options and I have my own reasons for being attracted to the DSLR revolution... but what attracted you must to switch or buy in? The price point or the discreet size with 35mm FOV/DOF?

Tracey Lee
04-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Wow Joseph, I have many reasons every day for liking my 5D. Whenever I take my XHA1 and my 5D out I end up using the 5D more if I want to be discreet or need a fast set up and of course bokeh. I also think I would like to have a D90 on hand for the 24p aspect. I guess there is a camera for every situation...too bad they still don't make everything you need in one camera (Scarlett where are ya?).

Kholi
04-12-2009, 12:19 PM
Lets get some more poll results going. I'm interested.

Joseph Stunzi
04-12-2009, 12:54 PM
Me too! Keep the results coming

DREWjoseph82
04-12-2009, 01:57 PM
I don't really see why the price would be too big of a factor considering most of us hear spent $5000+ on a camera without the 35 mm FOV/DOF. I think people would be willing to pay even more for the tech. (maybe not in its current "no manual form") just to get that look.

There are already consumer cameras at the same price point as the DSLR's if you weren't interested in the DOF and just needed a cheap "disposable" camera that shot HD. So I can only assume its the 35 mm FOV/DOF and the lens interchangeability that is making these things take off.

Kholi
04-12-2009, 02:23 PM
I don't really see why the price would be too big of a factor considering most of us hear spent $5000+ on a camera without the 35 mm FOV/DOF. I think people would be willing to pay even more for the tech. (maybe not in its current "no manual form") just to get that look.

There are already consumer cameras at the same price point as the DSLR's if you weren't interested in the DOF and just needed a cheap "disposable" camera that shot HD. So I can only assume its the 35 mm FOV/DOF and the lens interchangeability that is making these things take off.

That's exactly what I said. The entire draw to the DSLR is being discreet, quiet, unseen.

Price is just icing on the cake.

daveswan
04-12-2009, 02:38 PM
My draw too a VDSLR or DSMC is to have one camera that I can take stills and cine with without having to lug two cam s around.
My main focus (Argh!) is photography, so I would be buying one as a DSLR, the cine is secondary, though still important.
Dave

Nektonic
04-12-2009, 03:23 PM
Of course DoF, FoV, and interchangeable lenses are all attractive factors, but for me a big one is the improved low light ability that comes with a larger sensor and the ability to use fast lenses if needed. I'd say that better low light and 35mm DoF are the biggest for me, so much so that if a dedicated HD video camera came out with a Full Frame or APS-C sensor and a fixed lens that performed well then that would be enough for me. Obviously I'll gladly take advantage of the interchangeable lens option if it is there, which it will be on all VDSLR's anyways.

Joseph Stunzi
04-12-2009, 04:14 PM
Okokok Kholi I owe you $5 after all!

puredrifting
04-12-2009, 04:24 PM
Biggest draw for me are the damn images. I keep talking myself out of a 5D MKII and then I will see something that just looks killer posted and it sucks me back in. I'm a good DP but my HPX170 with the Letus is not even in the same neighborhood, quality-wise, as the 5D MKII. My rational side keeps telling me, "yeah, but gotta shoot double system sound, PITA, have to lock exposure for every shot, have to buy adapters for all of my Nikon lenses, have to convert all shots to ProRes..." there are a lot of negatives about the 5D MKII but that image just makes me forget about all of them.

Dan

10s
04-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Biggest draw for me is the damn images. I keep talking myself out of a 5D MKII and then I will see something that just looks killer posted and it sucks me back in. I'm a good DP but my HPX170 with the Letus is not even in the same neighborhood, quality-wise, as the 5D MKII. My rational side keeps telling me, "gotta shoot double systems sound, PITA, have to lock exposure for every shot, have to buy adapters for all of my Nikon lenses, have to convert all shots to ProRes..." there are a lot of negatives about the 5D MKII but that image just makes me forget about all of them.

Dan

agreed, it's a great look and price, now if they would only make a few minor changes.... :)

Zak Forsman
04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
the draw for me is of course the 35mm image aesthetic, followed closely by its aggressive low-light sensitivity and the small dslr form factor.

ChristianScott
04-12-2009, 05:38 PM
Image quality, low light performance, biggest factor is to be able to record any were and be as discrete as you like, so many perks, and with nikon lens, i find it hard to complain about the cons.

Chris

Joseph Stunzi
04-12-2009, 05:55 PM
The GH1 is also a new contender! It seems to resolve some of the problems that the 5D2 and D90 presented initially.

Kholi
04-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Biggest draw for me are the damn images. I keep talking myself out of a 5D MKII and then I will see something that just looks killer posted and it sucks me back in. I'm a good DP but my HPX170 with the Letus is not even in the same neighborhood, quality-wise, as the 5D MKII. My rational side keeps telling me, "yeah, but gotta shoot double system sound, PITA, have to lock exposure for every shot, have to buy adapters for all of my Nikon lenses, have to convert all shots to ProRes..." there are a lot of negatives about the 5D MKII but that image just makes me forget about all of them.

Dan

GH-1 might be a good camera to have along with our HPX170 + Letus sytems. That's actually what I'm betting on.

Nektonic
04-12-2009, 06:31 PM
The GH1 is also a new contender! It seems to resolve some of the problems that the 5D2 and D90 presented initially.

That is what I'm looking forward to. There is also the rumored Nikon D400, but until I hear more about it and whether it actually is coming soon or not I'll remain excited for the GH1.

Another thing is that I'd love to have a better stills camera than I currently own, so that is an added plus with a VDSLR.

Kholi
04-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Okokok Kholi I owe you $5 after all!

LOL. You have to remember something as you grow in any field: you never sell on price, you always sell on quality, benefits, etc.

People will pay for great tools. And those who can't afford it will end up finding a way to do so if they really want it.

VDSLRS entire revolution hinges on the ability to be a Ninja and still capture the same, or close to, image you would your 35mm Adapter rig.

Once the Audio gap has been bridged, manual controls and then codec, it's done.