PDA

View Full Version : Interpolating with compressor.

reem12
04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Forgive me for my ignorance to this topic. but can someone please post a step by step process of interpolating with compressor 3.0 using the optical flow process. I've seen 5d conversions that are 24p in real time and I have seen the 24p retimed to look like slight over cranking (slow motion) the latter I keep coming up with when using compressor which is not the effect i'm after. I'm trying to get realtime 24p but not sure if I'm doing all the right steps. Please somebody, anybody using compressor to succesfuly convert their footage, give us a step by step.

kyle.presley
04-11-2009, 10:25 PM
I only know how to do it with Shake. Compressor scares me...

Tracey Lee
04-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I would like to know how to do this too...just got the FCP 6 recently.

morgan_moore
04-12-2009, 02:24 PM
From memory..

FCP edit your film

Export using compressor

Open the output tab,
Choose maybe 1080 24p

Drag that setting up to the top

That 1080 24p appears in the right hand side with tabs
re-timing tab
check a little box that enables the settings
choose run at 100% speed
choose third drop down of interpolation method 'good' optical flow
press export or suchlike
have dinner, maybe a sleep
open your retimed film

S

reem12
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
can someone tell me where this output tab is located because i can't find it?

morgan_moore
04-14-2009, 02:29 AM
I filmed my screen

http://www.vimeo.com/4145787

S

reem12
04-14-2009, 10:41 AM
hey morgan, thanks for taking time out to help us out with this conversion. I just converted some footage and althoug it was very sucessful in terms of no glitches and choppy looking footage, i wanted to know if the 24p seq is supposed to be the same legnth still as the original 30p seq. I thought that the conversion was throwing out the unwanted frames and would therefor make the 24 p seq shorter due to it having less frames. or did i do somehing wrong? I mean it fits on the 24p time line with no render needed but its hard to tell if the motion has changed at all. can anyone chime in on this?

morgan_moore
04-14-2009, 11:02 AM
converting to 24p will 'throw out frames' (actually interpolate new ones) but display them for longer (1/24th of a second not 1/30th) leaving the duration the same

that is the 100% thing in inspector - meaning 100% duration retained

also in inspector there is a checkbox or tab or something (im not in front of it) just under the 100% that is 'use frames in new timeline' or something

that should give you a 30/24 - being slight slow motion -stretching the clip- and not needing to interpolate the frames - dont know about sound with that kind of conversion- you may have to delete the sound

30/24 should play lovely if you can think of a use for slight slomo footage

Im no FCP expert

S

reem12
04-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks morgan. It looks like everything on my end was a sucess, and yes I've used the slight slomo conversion and it is dreamy. This is how I was doing it at first before I found out about the interpolating. Time to shoot a film on this beast, just try not to swing this beast back and fourth or we'll be eating jello for dinner.

Thanks again.

morgan_moore
04-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Yeah Ive been scratching my head on how to keep it steady but thats a different topic..