PDA

View Full Version : Anything earth-shattering camera-wise at NAB 09?

Bryan
03-27-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm thinking about buying an HMC-150, but I keep hearing folks say "wait for NAB."

Anyone heard anything about new cameras at this year's conference? I'm doubting it...

Casalen
03-27-2009, 05:43 PM
A few of the big ones are slowing development, and even before that I didn't specifically hear of any that were going to be making a breakthrough there. Even if they were, though, that's not really a reason to not buy he HMC now. It's a great camera no matter what gets shown off in some booth whenever NAB is this year.

thekreative
03-30-2009, 10:16 AM
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1595334#post1595334

snowleopard
03-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Keep something else in mind, "announcement date" and "delivery date" are two wildly differing things. The HMC150 was announced at last NAB, but only released in I believe November. So, the camera is still very new. And there's a very good chance some of these companies will announce new gear at NAB that we won't see for months.

If you need a camera now and like the HMC, I'd say wait until the day after NAB and if there's nothing announced and released, buy it, it's a great camera and will likely do great things for you.

scapsinger
04-01-2009, 04:20 AM
Last fall (early fall, around August I think? I guess that's actually summer, but oh well), there was a Panasonic rep at a trade show talking specifically about the HMC150. During Q&A I asked a couple of questions. One was "why no dual SDHC card slots?" to which I was told "it's coming...er, um...well, but don't wait for it if you need a camera now....you didn't hear that from me! haha!" So take that however you wish.

After that, I launched straight into "what sort of improvements might we expect on the HMC150A, or the next version?" I got a list of things they supposedly had wanted on the HMC150 but couldn't get done in time. Aside from the dual card slots, there was a desire to add another higher quality level on top of the ones available now. There were a couple of other tweaks he listed, but after those two items I was fairly satisfied with the potential improvements.

So again, take it or leave it, but I would guess there's a chance that the next revision will be announced at NAB because otherwise, there's not another good launch opportunity until April 2010. If HMC150 sales are lagging badly, they'll launch a new revision ASAP. If they like the current sales numbers, they'll likely hold off another year. My hunch is that they see more dollar signs available with a revision.

Just speculation based on one Panasonic guy's talk.

zijital
04-02-2009, 11:05 AM
If you can wait, it probably doesn't hurt to wait, but there is a good chance that you'll be in the same boat after NAB as you are now.

One thing to consider is I saved $500 from a B&H NAB special and got another $500 rebate from visiting the booths. If not a lot of people are going to be at NAB or spending money at NAB, there is a good chance that there will be bigger offers to people who do want to buy. So waiting a few weeks might save you a few hundred bucks.

Noel Evans
04-02-2009, 06:40 PM
Earth shattering? Is there ever? But theres some stuff that would very cool to be there for.

Humanoid Typhoon
04-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Last fall (early fall, around August I think? I guess that's actually summer, but oh well), there was a Panasonic rep at a trade show talking specifically about the HMC150. During Q&A I asked a couple of questions. One was "why no dual SDHC card slots?" to which I was told "it's coming...er, um...well, but don't wait for it if you need a camera now....you didn't hear that from me! haha!" So take that however you wish.

After that, I launched straight into "what sort of improvements might we expect on the HMC150A, or the next version?" I got a list of things they supposedly had wanted on the HMC150 but couldn't get done in time. Aside from the dual card slots, there was a desire to add another higher quality level on top of the ones available now. There were a couple of other tweaks he listed, but after those two items I was fairly satisfied with the potential improvements.

So again, take it or leave it, but I would guess there's a chance that the next revision will be announced at NAB because otherwise, there's not another good launch opportunity until April 2010. If HMC150 sales are lagging badly, they'll launch a new revision ASAP. If they like the current sales numbers, they'll likely hold off another year. My hunch is that they see more dollar signs available with a revision.

Just speculation based on one Panasonic guy's talk.

See...now I'm never going to end up buying a camera cause I'll be waiting for this one:grin:.