PDA

View Full Version : AVC-Intra & MAC

Lez
03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Just downloaded the new codec and noticed that it's for Intel Macs only...

Is this correct... so our older PowerBooks that have a PCMCIA slot will not be able to view the material shot on AVC-Intra..

Cheers

nsoltz
03-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Correct. Intel Macs only. AVC-I will transcode to ProRes, which requires Intel processor. Older Powerbooks with PC slot are useful only for transferring card contents.

lyonfilms
03-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Anyone had any luck with the Calibrated Software solution? Reading their website it seems that they provide a plugin that allows AVC-Intra within FCP without trasncode.

Their website states: "
Calibrated{Q} MXF Import is a QuickTime plug-in for NATIVE Importing and Editing of MXF Files within Final Cut Pro. Calibrated{Q} MXF Import v1.6 supports the following MXF Files:
Panasonic P2 MXF Files (with separate video and audio tracks seen as 1 file*):
AVC-Intra
DVCProHD
DV50
DV25

Justyn
03-25-2009, 08:03 PM
mmm. Never heard of that. Could be very interesting.. Wonder if it does AVCHD as well.. would love that now.

Apple has totally abandoned the PowerPC market and I believe they aren't offering OS upgrades except for intel.. They force us to buy newer gear.. Standard Apple procedure here..

dregenthal
03-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I would almost bet that our old friend MVB at DVFilm will have something slick to handle this in the near future . . .

lyonfilms
03-27-2009, 01:11 PM
Our HPX300 arrived yesterday and we downloaded the Calibrated Software trial plugin. FCP could import the AVC Intra files and they could be placed in the sequence. In our quick test we couldn't get very good playback. Very choppy. We are using a 8 core Intel Mac with 8 Gigs of RAM. The footage is on an internal drive. We need to tinker around with sequence settings I imagine as there is no AVC Intra option in Final Cut, so it is finding another set of parameters that will work well.

Thoughts?

SPZ
03-29-2009, 09:06 AM
I downloaded the avcintra for Mac plugin from Panasonic and when I log and transfer and place it on the timeline, it works perfectly. However, FCP turns AVCintra into Prores 4:2:2.

lyonfilms
03-29-2009, 09:37 AM
That's because FCP log and transfer is transcoding the AVC-Intra codec to the ProRes codec via the Panasonic free decoder download. The other plugin I mentioned above, the one from Calibrated Software (I have no affiliation with them) allows a FCP user to bring AVC-Intra into FCP natively w/o transcode to another FCP-friendly codec.

We have only downloaded the free trial and still need to expirment with it to see if we would recommend. I believe it is less than $80, so if we can get it running smoothly it might not be a bad idea. But, the trouble then becomes using it in Color, etc. which we have not tested.

Per my questions earlier, has anyone else worked with the Calibrated Software native AVC-Intra solution and what are your thoughts? There is a free trial, so lets hear some feedback. :)

David Saraceno
03-29-2009, 11:36 AM
I downloaded the avcintra for Mac plugin from Panasonic and when I log and transfer and place it on the timeline, it works perfectly. However, FCP turns AVCintra into Prores 4:2:2.

This is the current workflow.

But the footage is pretty fabulous.