PDA

View Full Version : I have to share this with you guys...

SPZ
03-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Not directly related to the HPX300, but bare with me here.

Just came from the Hong-Kong Filmmart, which is probably the biggest film market in Asia. Walking around I saw the Poster of Corrado, a movie done by fellow dvxuser member Taormina who we all were able to follow in its production trough one of the most interesting threads in this forum. Yes, this is very off topic. Let me get back to the point.

Had the chance to try out the 3 MILLION Hong-Kong Dollars- you do the math: 1USD equals 7.8 HKD- Sony F35. For the heck of it, and seeing all these threads about Skew, Rolling Shutter, etc, I tried to do a whip pan, and a fast tilt. SHOCKER: Major Skew. Major as in TERRIBLE. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was then that I found out the F35 was ALSO a Cmos camera. EDIT- It is a single chip Super 35mm camera- this is puzzling. I'm no tech head and I accepted what was told on the show floor, but I know what I saw and it was clearly skew: everything practicaly "bended" with a quick pan- and that was no 24p jutter, believe me...

EDIT, again- I should check better my info before I post a thread. We were all puzzled when we saw the "bending" on the LCD, and someone I trusted said it was CMos camera, which I accepted as true.

The funny thing, if I recall correctly, is that the skew is even WORSE than the EX series of cameras. We are talking about a 400 000 Dollar camera vs a 8000 USD camera here.

Also had the chance to see the new GENESIS footage, which is S35mm and does 1070Fps. Yes, that's 1070fps. Saw the ULTRA slow motion footage, and my jaw litteraly dropped.

Interesting times, my friends...

combatentropy
03-23-2009, 08:30 PM
Oh, well I'm canceling my order of the F35 then.

Big Brother
03-23-2009, 09:08 PM

;) me too lets back HPX300 only :thumbup:

SPZ
03-23-2009, 09:17 PM

You should wait for their upcoming firmware update :)

alexdias
03-23-2009, 11:13 PM
you should wait for their upcoming firmware update :)

lol!!!!!

LuckyStudio 13
03-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Had the chance to try out the 3 MILLION Hong-Kong Dollars- you do the math: 1USD equals 7.8 HKD- Sony F35. For the heck of it, and seeing all these threads about Skew, Rolling Shutter, etc, I tried to do a whip pan, and a fast tilt. SHOCKER: Major Skew. Major as in TERRIBLE. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was then that I found out the F35 was ALSO a Cmos camera.

The funny thing, if I recall correctly, is that the skew is even WORSE than the EX series of cameras. We are talking about a 400 000 Dollar camera here.

The Sony F35 is a 1-chip Super 35 mm type Progressive CCD sensor 4:4:4 camera. I dont know what you were seeing, but it is definitely not the camera's sensor.

evsdan
03-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Umm maybe there was sarcasm on this post and I missed it but the F35 is a CCD camera that does not have skew or rolling shutter artifacts.

SPZ
03-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Umm maybe there was sarcasm on this post and I missed it but the F35 is a CCD camera that does not have skew or rolling shutter artifacts.

EDIT- No sarcasm at all, Dan. Just plain misinformed dvxuser posting about something
he saw and assumed, based on unreliable sources and on the "eye-o-meter" :)

That's hilarious! The "artifact" I saw was that the camera's footage practicaly "bended" left or right (depending on the direction of the pan) on the LCD when I whip panned. Definitely not jutter from 24p motion! Also, isn't the new 35mm Genesis based on this camera? How does it achieve 1072fps with CCD technology?

EDIT- Just checked the Sony's tech sheet. Its a single chip CCD camera. I stand corrected. How did the skew happen, then? Was it because of the single chip design? Now that was surprising, since I immediately assumed that what I saw was the result of Rolling Shutter- me and the owner of one of Hong-Kongs biggest production and post production houses...

puredrifting
03-24-2009, 08:05 PM
Not sure what you saw but it is impossible for CCD based camera to have skew. Motion blur, yes. Skew? I don't see how.

Dan