PDA

View Full Version : 27 minutes, dropped audio and a second file???

AlanB
03-16-2009, 01:00 AM
I thought I saw a post about this but couldn't find it.

I was shooting an event with 16 Gig cards and after loading it on my computer I noticed that after 27 minutes the 150 creates another file. The first file has about 14 frames of audio dropped at the end of the file with maybe a few dropped frames of video also. It appears to do that in 27 minute segments until the card is full. What is with that and is there any way to keep it from happening? If not, this camera is not usable for long events. Very frustrating.

timbook2
03-16-2009, 01:13 AM
are you formatting the card each time you unload? if yes which formatting on the computer or inside camera? I would advise to format the card both ways and give it another try. I heard the P2 cards seem to have a certain number of cycle-lifetime....

Baatfam
03-16-2009, 04:27 AM
I do believe SDHC cards have a 4G max file size.

matt s.
03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Yes it records to the cards in 4GB blocks. There is a PC join tool here in the forums that will join your split file and it should eliminate your problems. If on a Mac you can use Terminal to join the clips into one file as well.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=161735

AlanB
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
I format in camera. My understanding is that it is the best way to do it. Yes, the files are 4GB each. How will joining the files help? The last ~14 frames of audio is missing, unless something is going on internal to the file that I am not aware of and some sort of join process can recapture that. When I load it on my Vegas timeline the audio at the end of the file is missing and as I mentioned, possibly a few frames of video.

matt s.
03-16-2009, 10:31 AM
I'm on a Mac but this has happened to me when transcoding the footage in 3rd party software. Once I joined the files the glitch I got between them was gone and the file was seamless.

Maybe someone will chime in thats on Vegas.

booggerg2
03-16-2009, 11:11 AM
does the HMC not come with a Panasonic approved joining tool and we'd have to seek out a 3rd party joining tool!?

DaFireMedic
03-16-2009, 01:02 PM
does the HMC not come with a Panasonic approved joining tool and we'd have to seek out a 3rd party joining tool!?

From what I understand, the DVCPro converter works to create files that join seamlessly, but I can't use DVCPro with any of my NLE's without third party software. The program that Pailes wrote (mentioned above in Matts post) works very well and solves the issue for me.

ajcourtney
03-16-2009, 01:22 PM
LOL, no you must thinking of the Sony PMB software that serves that purpose with their consumer AVCHD cams. Panny will tell you it's the NLE vendor's responsibility to support the files as the cam dishes them out to your computer.

Yes, the files are 4GB each. How will joining the files help? The last ~14 frames of audio is missing, unless something is going on internal to the file that I am not aware of and some sort of join process can recapture that. When I load it on my Vegas timeline the audio at the end of the file is missing and as I mentioned, possibly a few frames of video.

you have to straight binary join the files in order to get the original contiguous data that the cam recorded before dumping the footage into Vegas. All of the audio data remains in the files. Vegas just doesn't understand how to splice the files together to reflect that fact.

dumb software vendors and dumb hardware vendors = frustrated users

AlanB
03-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Okay, I FOUND THE FIX!!! I did a search for a "join tool" (thanks matt s. for using that term) and found the MTSMerger tool written by Pailes. I tried it out and it works perfectly. Thanks Pailes very much for writing this software tool. I feel all warm and fuzzy again.

Edit:

Matt, I forgot to check the link in your post which would have taken me right to it. Oh well, it gives me more practice with the search tool. ;)