PDA

View Full Version : Is the 300 significantly better in low light than the 170?

michaelhauer@gmail.com
03-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I am sure everyone is sick of debating a camera not yet released but please humor me

I am about to buy my first camera package after years of renting, borrowing and bartering exc and have been a slave to this and various other forums on all things HPX/EX trying to make the right decision. I think i decided on a panasonic because i like to play with color, but i can't decide between the 170 and the 300. I have read about the rolling shutter issues and i think im ok with that if its comparable to the ex because i think i would like a shoulder mounted camera, if its really that much better for being twice the price. My question is whether 300 truly has that much more lattitude than the 170, especially in 720p? I haven't shot on the 170 or the 200a, but have a wealth of experience with the old 200 and i always hated the blacks. I know the 170 has improved my question is how much, and is the 300 that much faster?

Please only answer this question if you've used both cameras

thanks

Cees Mutsaers
03-16-2009, 12:40 AM
good question but i think the users of preproduction models have probably not test this yet and we have to wait until release of the cam, by the way when is this due, at the end of this month ???

Jan_Crittenden
03-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Hi,

It is about the same as the HPX170 in low light. When you think about it, it is an accomplishement as there are 4X the number of pixels. For the rest of your questions, I think you just need to look at a camera and compare it for yourself. We should be starting the shipping to dealers at the end of this week.

Best,

Jan

Cees Mutsaers
03-16-2009, 05:06 AM
Imagine what the light sensitivity would have been if they would have chosen for 3MOS 1/2 " chips. Maybe this will be a possible futur upgrade for the 500 so it will not jeopardize the sales of the 2000.

Noel Evans
03-16-2009, 07:18 PM
Imagine what the light sensitivity would have been if they would have chosen for 3MOS 1/2 " chips. Maybe this will be a possible futur upgrade for the 500 so it will not jeopardize the sales of the 2000.

I certainly hope not. I chose the 500 for 2/3" chips, going back to half would have me looking at other options. Then the other question - not sure if I will buy another cam anyway.

vic777
03-16-2009, 07:38 PM
because i think i would like a shoulder mounted camera, don't buy a camera because it is shoulder mounted .... you could easily make a custom shoulder mount for a 170 which would be better than any OEM design ... or buy a shoulder mount. If you're making narrative films you should use a tripod etc. etc.

michaelhauer@gmail.com
03-17-2009, 07:43 AM
thanks everyone for your answers!