PDA

View Full Version : Ex1 xdcam ex vs hpx 300 Full HD format

shapna
03-11-2009, 08:53 AM
Sorry for my ignorance. Is it true the que sony ex1 has a XDcam EX format, not a Full Hd , and in the other hand the HPX 300 has a FULL HD format??

If this is true, what does this really mean?? what truly diferences they have?

thanks to anyone who can help me.

Damian

Kenn Christenson
03-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Both are capable of full-raster 1920x1080 imaging and recording.

shapna
03-11-2009, 09:29 AM
Both are capable of full-raster 1920x1080 imaging and recording.

thanks for the answer, but. this mean in terms of resolution, they dont have any diferences??

Damian

Barry_Green
03-11-2009, 09:45 AM
The XDCAM-EX recording format is 35mbps of long-GOP 4:2:0. The HPX300 uses AVC-Intra, a 10-bit intraframe 4:2:2 codec. If you're comparing recording format to recording format, there's no question that AVC-Intra is dramatically superior to XDCAM-EX.

But that is only one factor to consider, there are many, many other. The two cameras you're talking about are so different that there's little reason to focus in on just the recording format.

shapna
03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Barry,

i know what you are saying, that why im chaneling the proper question in each tread. Thank you for the answer.

Im looking for this but i can find it, Does the HPX 300 have de macro option for close shooting,
thank you very very much for taking time to answer my questions

Damian

Barry_Green
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
The HPX300 has an interchangeable lens, so you could mount different lenses on there. I don't remember if the stock Fujinon has macro or not.

CinemaElectronika
03-11-2009, 09:32 PM
The HPX300 has an interchangeable lens, so you could mount different lenses on there. I don't remember if the stock Fujinon has macro or not.

Yeah... It looks like!

http://www.panasonic-broadcast.com/cms_banner/288x140/product_visuals/AG-HPX301_sideL.jpg

H:)

shapna
03-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Oh yeahhh, saw it saw it, Cool thank you for the pic.

Oh yeahh oh yeahh!! XD

zijital
03-12-2009, 12:07 PM
If you're comparing recording format to recording format, there's no question that AVC-Intra is dramatically superior to XDCAM-EX.

Superior in terms of raw picture quality.

60min of AVC-Intra will take up three times the GB of 60min of XDCAM-EX. If you are limited on storage space, then XDCAM-EX is superior.

Each person has to figure out what works best for them, and that will be your best camera.

AVC-Intra is going to be a big deal because of the resolution. DVCPro HD, which is also 4:2:2 and intraframe, is 1280x1080, which means that a 1:1.19 image has to be streached out to 1:1.77. XDCAM-EX has a giant leg up on resolution over DVCPro HD, AVC-Intra at full raster makes it tougher for Sony.

Christian m
03-12-2009, 04:34 PM
AVC-Intra is going to be a big deal because of the resolution. DVCPro HD, which is also 4:2:2 and intraframe, is 1280x1080, which means that a 1:1.19 image has to be streached out to 1:1.77. XDCAM-EX has a giant leg up on resolution over DVCPro HD, AVC-Intra at full raster makes it tougher for Sony.

This will be a factor of chip resolution and not just the codec, codec wise the sampling is kind of it's heritage being format that was developed for tape.

MrBill
03-12-2009, 05:47 PM
[quote=zijital;1575281 XDCAM-EX has a giant leg up on resolution over DVCPro HD, AVC-Intra at full raster makes it tougher for Sony.[/quote]

Duh, I don't think so. Long GOP . I really don't think it's superior,
but that's your opinion. :violent5:

alpi69
03-13-2009, 08:00 AM
60min of AVC-Intra will take up three times the GB of 60min of XDCAM-EX. If you are limited on storage space, then XDCAM-EX is superior.

DVCPro HD, which is also 4:2:2 and intraframe, is 1280x1080, which means that a 1:1.19 image has to be streached out to 1:1.77. XDCAM-EX has a giant leg up on resolution over DVCPro HD

Long shooting made inexpensive at a great quality....EX-1 for sure.

XDCAmEX is a GIANT leg up? Hmmm....I really have to disagree there.

If you shoot stills (like resolution charts) - yes. The EX-1 is supersharp. BUT as soon as you challenge the codec the EX-1 intercuts very nicely with a HVX, because you cant really distinguish them from each other resolution wise then.
By challenge the codec I mean sports, handheld. Shooting a flower with a slow dollymove....EX-1 beats the HVX200, but it is beaten by the HPX500. This brings me to your bad argument: the DVCProHD codec is not bad resolution wise. HDCam is 1440x1080 and any HDCAm camera kicks the EX-1s butt on EVERY POSSIBLE situation.
I like the EX-1 and think it is superior to the HVX, because it does some things much better (especially those dollymoves with the decreased DOF compared to 1/3 cams), but it does not beat the HVX everywhere and needs a lot more compromises due to CMOS (thunderstorms, concerts, photoflashes) and long-GOP ('fast movements, colorgrade). The CMOS compromises with the HPX300 will be the same. But the AVC-Intra is so far superior there is not even a chance for the current SONYs. But who knows if they bring something at or after NAB.

BTW I will use the EX-1 soon on a shoot where I need long shooting times. So dont get me wrong. It is a great tool. But it is not perfect. Actually there is and never will be a perfect cam....they all have some compromises (price, size, codec, lens, media)

Christian m
03-13-2009, 10:42 AM
This brings me to your bad argument: the DVCProHD codec is not bad resolution wise. HDCam is 1440x1080 and any HDCAm camera kicks the EX-1s butt on EVERY POSSIBLE situation.
For some reason the "full HD" battle for consumers seems to enter the tv business to, both regarding codecs AND sensors...

One argument to chop down any discussion are Planet Earth, there are a lot of Dvcprohd in there, and some hdcam i believe to. Neither Ex1/3 or the hvx will stand a hope in hell of beating a varicam whooting 720p even for 1080p bluray.

I've worked with an Ex1 one weekend and for what it is it's VERY good, in the same way Hpx171 looks stunning taken its small size into consideration. The only format in the world of video without many compromises are Hdcam-SR....with a matching price tag.