PDA

View Full Version : Switching To DVX?

Drew Brown
03-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Sorry if this is a useless thread, I would just like some advice from those who already own a DVX.

I've considered switching to a DVX100b recently from my current Sony VX2100, solely based on the fact that DVX's are renowned for the cinematic look they produce. The thing is, with proper filming techniques and post production work, I can achieve a fairly cinematic look with my VX footage.

Would it really be worth switching to a DVX?

I know HD is the becoming the new standard, but I'm not ready to all together abandon SD yet.

Chenopup
03-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Well the 24p and the tweakability of the DVX are superb. Love that little cam. Much improved image over the VX series IMO -

Lots of HD cams offer the option to shoot SD as well. Not only that but HD downconverted to SD looks much better than SD originated material. More source information to work from.

I think in the SD move, if you can get one for cheap, go for it. In all honestly, it's more of a lateral move if you've already got a workflow for "cinematic" footage that does you well.

cheno

Drew Brown
03-10-2009, 01:32 AM
Yeah, I've considered just opting for a HD cam instead since you can switch between HD and SD. Seems like it would be a wiser move, just not sure if I can afford one. Although, the Canon XHA1 can be found on Ebay for just a little more than a DVX in some cases....

Something about the DVX just really attracts me though. Like you said, in a sense I wouldn't be moving forward, but I feel like I'm just faking right now. Would love the ability to shoot in true 24p.

I'm going to think about it a while though. Just went out and done some filming with the VX and I'm still really attached to it. Might be difficult to sell haha.

zeroblank
03-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I have worked with both and the DVX is a much better camera. No questions asked. The vx is tough too having to go through the menu to change some of the setting, really makes things tough in the field. I have also noticed that with the panasonics it is much easier to pull of those nice DOF shots and a nice rack focus. Make the switch I promise you wont be upset!

yia
04-17-2009, 07:58 AM
I'm still not happy with my dvx100b image quality.... HD baby

qazwsx
05-01-2009, 05:36 AM
canon xh-a1 (non s) and jvc gy-hd110u are two prosumer hd camcorders that retail under $3k. that's only about 500 more than a new dvx100b.

aren't you going to miss the low light performance of the 2100?

dantewaters
06-28-2009, 12:00 PM
At this stage unless you have worked lined up that requires you to stay SD it wouldn't make sense to buy an SD cam not unless you can get it for under $1500 (doubtful).

You would do well to consider a non tape camera, I'm not going to say tape is dead but it has become far less appealing to a lot of people, once you switch going back can be quite painful.

DVX if you must have SD and HD wont be an option
USED HVX 200 or an A1 would do you well. (unfortunately the A1 is still tape but the HD will add to your video compression and presentation).