PDA

View Full Version : thinking on this option

milleto
03-07-2009, 06:42 AM
So, I have read for while and I think I understand enough about this cam but there are a couple of thing I just want to reconfirm with others. I'm figuring out the total cost to see if its still a good deal.

Because it might be use for events I wanted to double check on this....

How long does the Battery last in video mode?
What is the biggest card available for this cam?
what is the maximun continuos video recording?

in general, if you have used it for events...how do you like it?

I hope to become a 5D mark 2 owner soon..

peace...thanks

Lee Wilson
03-07-2009, 07:43 AM
what is the maximun continuos video recording?

4GB - depending on content, around 12-15 minutes.

Caesar
03-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Depending on content? What do you mean?

milleto
03-07-2009, 09:39 AM
ummm... so that means that the 32GB SD is not compatible.... the biggest SD is 4GB? ummmm

yes, what do you mean by ..depending on content?

FatDaddy
03-07-2009, 09:48 AM
I think it is the complexity of compression. A person being interviewed in front of a solid colored back ground (a wall), verses a person being interviewed in front of a book case, verses a person being interviewed while walking through a cornfield. Takes more "compression" to handle the last one as opposed to the first scene. Probably not a huge difference in recording time. Plus this is just me guesstimating...

Emanuel
03-07-2009, 10:27 AM
You've nailed it FatDaddy.

BTW, 4GB is the FAT32 (PC & total Mac compatible) file limit (another standard is the NTFS, not applicable here though). So, you can count on these ones:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?p=1568574#post1568574

hungrych
03-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Ill tell you when my 5dII comes on Tuesday!!!!

I got a 32 gb card ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571863-REG/SanDisk_SDCFX3_032GR_32GB_Extreme_III_CompactFlash .html ) but 64gb cards are on the way

what is the maximum continuous video recording?
The 5dII unlike the d90 can shoot up to 4gb of video at a time, so lets say I have a 32gb card in it i can record 4gb on it then it will stop then I can record another 4gb ect. 4gb in 5dII video is about 12-15 minutes.

milleto
03-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Ill tell you when my 5dII comes on Tuesday!!!!

I got a 32 gb card ( http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571863-REG/SanDisk_SDCFX3_032GR_32GB_Extreme_III_CompactFlash .html ) but 64gb cards are on the way

what is the maximum continuous video recording?
The 5dII unlike the d90 can shoot up to 4gb of video at a time, so lets say I have a 32gb card in it i can record 4gb on it then it will stop then I can record another 4gb ect. 4gb in 5dII video is about 12-15 minutes.

Will be nice to know battery life for vid
32GB SD....64GB comming soon....that's good
ahhh..that what they meant...stops at 4GB..wuao..not good but I can leave with that....also I heard that when it stops settings get reset, like exposure and stuff...is that true?.

Thanks

Tracey Lee
03-10-2009, 09:54 AM
I did a shoot last Saturday and I was probably shooting for about three hours off and on and the battery was about half way gone once I wrapped things up. I think if you buy a couple of back up batteries then you should be fine for an all day shoot.

dcsimages
03-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Will be nice to know battery life for vid
32GB SD....64GB comming soon....that's good
ahhh..that what they meant...stops at 4GB..wuao..not good but I can leave with that....also I heard that when it stops settings get reset, like exposure and stuff...is that true?.

Thanks

The 5D Mk II uses compact flash cards, not SD

phoric
03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
also I heard that when it stops settings get reset, like exposure and stuff

Yes, the 'lock' on the exposure gets reset. But even with the lock engaged, it's all a guessing game. There is no actual manual control over the camera's settings in video mode. See this link: http://www.cinema5d.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=187

FatDaddy
03-10-2009, 04:48 PM
so you can use a nikon mount and old lenses? (like ones used with a 35mm adapter). You can focus manually and adjust aperture? how is the LCD for this. I hear that adding a LCD through HDMI is not hi res during recording? This true? (sorry to hi-jack the thread)

david_p
03-11-2009, 10:18 AM
although i have used the 5DmkII a fair amount (mostly us an EX1) i have never really made a factual assesment of the battery life. so, my estimation would be about 1 hour of real use per battery. this would be a combination of recording and basically just being "in" liveview mode plus playing back clips after being shot.

FatDaddy...a nikon adaptor is a great way to go. i bought a cheap one at my local store for about $60 and it works perfect.

IMO, the LCD is inadequate for focusing subjects that are moving if you are shooting real shallow DOF. if subject is static and you are static, then the zoom focus in the 5DmkII works perfect. i attach a Hoodloupe 3.0 to the LCD as an eyepiece viewer and it woks pretty good but still leaves a bit to be desired. a "peaking" feature on this camera would be ultimatte....just dreaming though.

i also would like to know about an external LCD through the HDMI.

david
www.davidprobst.com

phoric
03-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Yes, while recording a clip the HDMI output is reduced to a low VGA resolution (640x480). The camera does not have enough CPU power to both record and output at 1080p via HDMI at the same time.