PDA

View Full Version : 1080p artifacts

ronin99
03-07-2009, 01:53 AM
When shooting 720p the image has no artifacts, however, in 1080p there is an obscene amount. It is so bad that footage is unusable (luckily it was just a test). I have seen the same artifacts present in other footage under a variety of conditions. Has anybody been able to shoot 1080 with the HMC and produce an image devoid of ridiculous amounts of artifacts?

ronin99
03-07-2009, 02:32 AM
The plot thickens a little bit..I played back the footage in camera and it looks fine, no artifacts. So is something happening between the time footage is downloaded to computer and imported into NLE? The thing is I am not transcoding it into another format, just viewing it native through cs4.

Everts
03-07-2009, 05:10 AM
I haven't had any issues but not being able to edit 1080i or p in realtime.
For the record I have never seen any artifacts with the PH recording formats, and
I think I noticed the lens wobble issue the other day on my camera but that's for another thread .

zeroblank
03-07-2009, 07:46 AM
i have noticed this a little bit in premiere but it seems to just be the compression, the finished product and the raw clips played in VLC have nothing. I think it just has to do with the clip being prepared to be chopped up.

Barry_Green
03-07-2009, 07:46 AM
There are no artifacts in the original footage. You probably have a lower-quality playback setting chosen in CS4 so it's only partially decoding the footage. Obviously I don't know your settings but check and see; I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's compromising playback quality in exchange for speed.

David Saraceno
03-07-2009, 09:56 AM
I've seen the artifacting as well. Once rendered, it disappears.

Green Hornet
03-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I have never seen any artifacts, the images is as expected from a 1/3 camera with no excessive noise, in fact quite clear even at highest gain setting with light from only candles or wall mounted sconces.

ronin99
03-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Barry you are correct sir! I checked my settings again and it was set to automatic quality. I also exported an MP4 and there are no artifacts, at least in my footage. However, I worked on a project (edited by someone else on a mac) and even in the final footage there are a couple of parts with some really distracting artifacts. I should be getting a DVD of it this week, and I'll post some clips.

ronin99
03-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Check out Sequence 02.mov - 17.68MB (http://www.zshare.net/video/56965143abc0c80f/)

At about :01 you can see there is small artifact on the left light, then once it cuts you can clearly see a blinking blob in the top right corner. Any ideas why this occurred and how to avoid it in the future...thanks

mcsmooth
03-13-2009, 11:40 PM
Since this is a .mov file it is safe to say this isn't the original clip, so it is possible this happened at some point between the original and the software. The way to know for sure every time is by watching through HDMI out. You can go frame by frame with the remote and it is the best way to be sure that what you see is what you got.

I personally haven't had much luck with CS4. Chokes hard on random clips for no apparent reason on a beast machine. It isn't quite ready for prime time in PH mode.