PDA

View Full Version : Which manual zoom ?

tifeeloo
03-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Hello

I wouldlike to know which old manual zoom are great for the 5dmk2.
Which beginning with a wide angle, 20-28mm to 100-135mm.
I don't care if it is a canon, nikon, pentax ... or other
But a good lens with smouth focus and zoom.

Sorry for my english but i am french !
Thanks for your great community, i learn so much with you.

Thanks for the answers

egproductions
03-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Canon seems to thing the 24-105L is good in combo with the Mark II.

It has auto focus and isn't that old of a lens but why buy an old lens? If you need that focal range and you don't mind working at f4 then the 24-105L is a nice sharp lens that the market is flooded with so you can get a great price.

tifeeloo
03-09-2009, 03:37 AM
Thanks

I am sure that the canon lenses with AF are great.
But for aperture control is not recommended and the cost is expensive because this lens have AF and automatic fonctionnalities.
I am a videographer and i don't need AutoFocus, i work in all manual.
For the same cost of the 24-105L i can buy a zoom lens and some primes lenses.

So my question remain entire.

egproductions
03-09-2009, 06:17 AM
The reason this lens is expensive isn't because it has autofocus and electronic aperture control, it's because it is L series glass which is Canons sharpest for comprable focal length and lens speed. Meaning you won't find another canon lens that is a 24-105 f4 that offers as good optics. With the twist off method you will be able to break off communication and use the aperture manually.

If you are definitly looking for aperture control on the lens itself, then I would recommend using a high end Nikon lens with an adapter (post a question about Nikon lenses in the still photography section).

I wouldn't just look at manual focus lenses however, because most manual lenses are older (and only slightly cheaper) but don't provide as good optics as newer lenses for the price. As I said before, Autofocus isn't the feature that adds any real dollar amount to a lens, its just the reality of modern day lenses. If you don't need it, turn it off. I still maintain that the best deal you are going to find these days is with the Canon 24-105 because the market is flooded with them.

ESTEBEVERDE
03-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Check out some Nikon lenses.

You can get an adapter to mount them on the 5D MKII.

ChristianScott
03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
yeah i got one of ebay for 13.99 =]

Loren Simons
03-09-2009, 10:16 AM
you could also get some older FD mount L series lenses with an adapter if your still really set on getting an older lens