PDA

View Full Version : Different looks for video!

ozan
02-25-2004, 12:54 AM
hey peeps,

This is more of a POST PRODUCTION question... for after effects or premier... but im looking for a color corretion/color grading recipe quide that helps set up different looks for video! For example berlin or punchy... wat settings is that at?

http://www.illconcepts.com/examples.jpg

bcheong
02-25-2004, 06:10 AM
It all really depends on how it was shot/lit, what NLE you are using. In general it looks to me like you have to up your black levels a bit as the blacks in that example don't look crushed. Depending on how it was exposed/lit you might also need to increase your mid and highlight range. Desaturate some and add a bit of green/blue and you should be pretty close. This can all be done with FCP's 3-Way Colour Correction tool which is fantastic. Most new releases of editing software will have something similar in the ways of a plugin.

bcheong
02-25-2004, 06:22 AM
Oops..bypassed the premier/after effects note that you made...I believe Premier Pro has a 3 wheel Colour correction tool...older versions are lacking that level of control if memory serves me correctly. After Effects should have something similar but I wouldn't know the exact name of the plugin.

Neil Rowe
02-25-2004, 06:34 AM
.. if you have premier pro , you can just use the "movie looks" plugin *which comes with it free when you register the software to get some of those looks, and for about 50.00 you can buy the rest of the preset looks which has most of the rest of those looks, as well as some other other pretty cool ones. otherwise you could set them up through the color corrector. but the plugin makes it quick and easy if you know what you want.
the additional looks are listed + can be purchased here:

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/movielooks.html

kai
02-25-2004, 07:32 AM
If you're referring to "berlin" and "punchy", those are presets within the Magic Bullet Suite... (for After Effects)...

Neil Rowe
02-25-2004, 08:17 AM
.. the movie looks is a set of preset only *magic bullet looks that you cant mess with, but gives you alot of cool looks rendered through the magic bullet engine. *it also has most of the looks your looking for in it. but for getting it free, and ony 50 bucks for all the 40 additional looks(on top of the 10 that premiere comes with..wow what a deal.. alot cheaper than magic bullet anyway. and you can do more color correction through ppro after you apply the movie look *from the plugin..or before. so you can sort of manipulate them anyway. the ones that come standard with ppro are not in the above link..they are here:

http://www.adobe.com/special/premiere/redgiant_descrip.html

02-25-2004, 11:14 AM
looks like it is only for pro not 6.0. Can Pro plug'ins work for 6.0 or 6.5?

Neil Rowe
02-25-2004, 11:36 AM
some can.. but this one cannot. ppro is basically aftereffects for video editing without all the in depth compositing (can do reg composites), 3d and roto type functionality. so it uses pretty much the same plugin engine, so most after effects plugins work in ppro, but not all. and p 6.5 (which i have as well is just outdated) do yourself a favor and upgrade.. youll be glad you did. you get first 10 looks free too! and the other again are only 50.00, + ppro has waaaay better color correction, and other much better tools. its been a very welcome change from 6.5

jaredalv
02-25-2004, 04:41 PM
I thought those looks were familiar, Kai. I was looking into Magic Bullet a while ago. I decided to hold off when I got the DVX, though since I won't be shooting interlaced footage and wanna see what I can do with my own lighting/color corr combos first.

Do you have MB? If so, is it worth the $$ if you have the DVX? My wife says no, but she's just looking at the price tag. I think she's just trying to hold down 'the man'.

JK,
Chico

Sol M.
02-25-2004, 10:56 PM
IMHO, MB is not worth the price in general and especially if you have the DVX. MB main draw of MB is its ability to make interlaced video look like film or rather converting interlaced video to a progressive 24fps timebase (mostly intended for film-out). Now, while MB does a pretty good job (even tho it's terribly slow), it's nothing compared to DVX's quality.

If you don't want to mess with color correction and you really just want the look quick and easy, then it would actually be cheaper to simply buy PPro and spring for the extra 'looks'. Even if you don't edit you piece in PPro (which I wouldn't :)), you could just run your finished cut through PPro and get the look you want.

I've been saving presets in Vegas whenever I get a look I like (mostly via color correction) so it's easy to just apply to another clip whenever I want to.

kai
02-26-2004, 10:09 AM
Yes, I have it and got it before the dvx awhile back. It's very powerful in the color correction arena. I use it for "quick & easy" looks, and have a multitude of my own programmed in to use. It is pricy, and with the dvx you really only have a use for a couple of the included plugins (look suite, opticals, etc)...

Bottom line, yes it's sweet... but yes it's expensive

jaredalv
02-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Thanks Jive. I had pretty much stopped looking at MB because of its price and the DVX's 24p. I want to play around with lighting/filters/color correction before buying any other software. I am using FCP on a mac, and since PPro is now only available for PeeC (sorry, I'm a Mac guy. Although I use both.), it doesn't look like I'll be using PPro anytime soon. There are other filters out there for FCP that I've been looking at also, but again, all those purchases are on hold 'til I try my own hand at acheiving certain looks.

It seems to me though, and please comment, that to really maximize any of these color corrections and get these looks, that you cannot have 'flat lighting' so to speak. It seems that you need proper highlights; something for the light to grab so you can bend the color of it in post. I don't know. Maybe I'm just crazy. Bottom-line: with great lighting, anything can be done. If your lighting sucks, everything else will, too.

PS - Maybe we can start posting clips/pics and color settings in our respective NLE boards of different looks we've achieved so we can all start borrowing from each other on this stuff.

Thanks,
Chico

Sol M.
02-26-2004, 04:17 PM
That's a good idea about sharing presets and stuff on the boards. *I share presets, etc. with others all the time. I'd be more than happy to share presets with anyone here. Unfortunately, my computer has been out of commission for some time (far too long) and I'm still awaiting parts before I can get back on my NLE to get those presets.

And yes, color correction, grading, etc. for artistic effect will be most useful of footage that has been properly lit. *Anything less will detract from the effect of the...uh...effects.

02-26-2004, 06:16 PM
yea that would be sweet... POst them presets. Looks like im on my own so iam making a list with presets for different looks. "A little cook book!" So far so good... Alot of trial and error. eh! Takes time :-/