PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Camera for Web / Chroma Use?

libneon
02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
Hi all,

This might be the wrong forum for this, wasn't sure where to put it.

I'm helping a friend setup a little studio that will be used for creating webcasts exclusively.

He's looking to do everything green screen background (newscast style) and already has a good lighting and screen setup.

He's looking to spend at most $700 or so and I'm trying to help him pick out a consumer camera that will deliver acceptable quality video for keying.

Right now we are looking at the Canon Vixias...anything else we should consider on this limited budget?

zeroblank
03-24-2009, 03:26 PM
canon hv30(HDV) or HF11(AVCHD) I have used both and they both shoot great in full HD!

You can most likely get away with something a little cheaper since it will just be left on a tripod and there is no movement, but you want something that will separate the color properly!

FrankC
03-24-2009, 09:24 PM
We key both with the little Canon HV-30 and the Sony EX1. But it's not the camera that counts, it's the format you shoot in. Keying a DV format (like the HV30) is really difficult. The EX1 shoots in the XDCAM format and we have gotten much better results, but alas, it may be out of your price range. Chromakey is part technology and part voodoo... and it all resides in the computer you're using, the format, the codec, the program to key it with. Heck, you might even get away with using a $100 Flip camera that inputs directly into a computer as a Flash file and then key it in After Effects, etc.

DavidNJ
04-15-2009, 09:18 PM
I'm going to venture the Sanyo FH1 or HD2000. They have horrid compression. However, they use a smoothing algorithm without edge sharpness, and have full manual control. The HD2000 has audio inputs and headphone jack (I would record the audio separately anyway). Neither is well suited to recording through HDMI (they disable the on camera screen). However, if you shoot wide open (which is easy with manual gain, shutter, and aperture control) you can take a pretty good picture. I doubt the compression is any worse than the HV-20/30/40's HDV. The FH1 is under $460 new.

Another alternative is the Canon SX1, a point and shoot that records the same 1080p30 as the 5DM2. Very sharp, if somewhat noisy, images.

Other than the $1000-1300 HF S10/100, the Canon's don't provide manual gain control and none provide full manual control. The user interface on the HV30/40 and HF S10/100 (but not the other Canons) is excellent though.

William_Robinette
04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
If it's for web it might be better to shoot with one of these consumer cams that do 1080p then take the footage and down covert to uncompressed SD which will technically give you much greater chroma resolution. Do your key from that footage and you should have a easier time doing it cleanly.