PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Europe HPX301 interview

Barry_Green
02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Guys, check this out, it's got some good stuff:
http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-technology/interviews/index.cfm?articleId=111201

Marc Irwin, the UK Marketing manager for all of Europe, gives an interview and he brings up some interesting things, such as:

The BBC is using AVC-Intra at the core of their Digital Media Initiative

FCP is supposed to announce "native" AVC-Intra support, meaning no need to transcode to Pro-Res. Marc says that the announcement should happen "this year".

AVC-Intra will work as well in post as DVCPRO-HD currently does.

Cees Mutsaers
02-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Sales interview, didn't mention if Panasonic did some improvements on rolling shutter issue compared to the competition. I would buy this cam in a blink if the rolling shutter issue where less severe than with the competion by implemeting some kind of electronic mojo.

TimurCivan
02-25-2009, 09:59 AM
ive been using EX1 alot lately. Rolling shutter really isnt tooooo big of a deal. It SUCKS under flash bulbs, but under normal circumstances, not a deal breaker....

Cees Mutsaers
02-25-2009, 10:05 AM
What kind of shooting do you do?

MrBill
02-25-2009, 10:07 AM
cool--thanks Barry!

TimurCivan
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM
2 weeks of fashion week. Doc stlye run and gun. great cam. Sharp, long record time, and the ergonomics are good for long form shooting once you break your self of the "DVX/hvx/pd170/GL2" style of hand held. you have to hold it like an EX1..... tuck it into your stomach, turn the handle so your right wrist is straight, and use your left hand to support and control the camera...

Barry_Green
02-25-2009, 12:03 PM
Sales interview, didn't mention if Panasonic did some improvements on rolling shutter issue compared to the competition.
Because they didn't. The rolling shutter seems exactly the same to me as it does on an EX1 or Red.

I'd have to test them side-by-side to know for sure, but right now I'm comfortable in saying that they're all comparable.

ESTEBEVERDE
02-25-2009, 01:17 PM
What about AVC-Intra with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects?

Anyone know the state of affairs there?

Cees Mutsaers
02-25-2009, 01:37 PM
So it seems like a fundamental problem ? What if the read rate of the sensor is increased to 120 fps or higher ?

Because they didn't. The rolling shutter seems exactly the same to me as it does on an EX1 or Red.

I'd have to test them side-by-side to know for sure, but right now I'm comfortable in saying that they're all comparable.

Lumiere
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
What about AVC-Intra with Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects?

Anyone know the state of affairs there?

Adobe seem to be the last one for supporting avc-i,nothing before a year i guess so...

Elton
02-25-2009, 02:50 PM
Even though the length of the camera would be ridiculous, it seems to me that it might work quite well with a good DOF adapter...IF it doesn't have to zoom too much on the GG.

Barry, have you had a chance to try an adapter with the camera...or even had the inclination to do so?

I fear that for all the great specs, etc, it has a major weakness for indies--that to get any kind of shallow DOF with the native lens you would have to zoom so far that rolling shutter issues would be tough to work around.

However, working with an adapter but recording to a superior acquisition codec might make for a nice combo.

Barry_Green
02-25-2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't get a chance to try it with an adapter; it seems to be fairly ideal for adapter work since it has an interchangeable lens and the scan-reverse function. I know that there are companies working on designing a relay lens for it right now.

Elton
02-25-2009, 02:54 PM
I didn't get a chance to try it with an adapter; it seems to be fairly ideal for adapter work since it has an interchangeable lens and the scan-reverse function. I know that there are companies working on designing a relay lens for it right now.

Ahh, well there you go. Very interesting.

ESTEBEVERDE
02-25-2009, 04:02 PM

Of course this is a very attractive feature if the footage is beautiful.

LuckyStudio 13
02-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I like the part where he answered the question to "why not 1/2?", the answer given by was "its political". Must be some sort of industry backdoor agreement between the big japanese giants !

ESTEBEVERDE
02-25-2009, 04:33 PM
I like the part where he answered the question to "why not 1/2?", the answer given by was "its political". Must be some sort of industry backdoor agreement between the big japanese giants !

I would imagine he meant within Panasonic but yes within Japanese Corporations too.

Rember, to them we will always be them and they will be "us"....