View Full Version : Turn Key Additional Accessories Cost

David Saraceno
02-22-2009, 10:00 AM
Apart from no p2 cards, I believe that the bundle provides everything but:

battery
battery charger
tripod adapter
AC adapter

What additional costs are these using value purchases rather buying from Panasonic or more expensive name brands?

thanks

CinemaElectronika
02-22-2009, 11:08 AM
HPX300 standard accessories are:
Fujinon 17x zoom Lens
Shoulder Strap
Anton/Bauer Gold Mount Plate

The QR Tripod Adapter (SHAN-TM700) must be added: $429.95 @ B&H

Regarding batteries/chargers, I would hardly recommend Batteries4Broadcast... very nice products!
The link:

http://batteries4broadcast.com/

H:)

puredrifting
02-22-2009, 11:44 AM
I agree with H on the Batteries 4 Broadcast stuff. I have not tried them, but Richard Andrewski of Cool Lights has been using some of their large batteries and likes them. Having owned Anton Bauer batteries when I had my Betacam, they are great stuff but very costly for what they do. The Batteries 4 Broadcast stuff is OEM in either the same or similar facilities where lots of name brand stuff is made.

The other thing you will need with the HPX300 is a tripod capable of supporting it. I am going to go off if I see people buying this camera and putting it on Bogen heads or junk like that. I have what I would consider the lowest acceptable tripod for this camera, the Sachtler DV6-SB head and realistically, it is too small for the HPX300 loaded up with matte box or 35mm adapter. We are talking a professional shoulder mount camera here that will easily be in the 14-18lb bracket here, depending on accessories, so we should be talking about tripods that can handle that weight with ease. In name brand, you are talking about $4k to $6k to do it right.

Oh yeah, and you will need at least a couple of decent sized P2 cards unless you already own them.

Camera with lens will be $8,495.00 MAP price, maybe you can get it lower based upon some deals we have heard talked about

Battery system (two batteries and a charger) $1,000.00 from Batteries 4 Broadcast

Tripod plate - This is something I would call Omega, BCS, etc. and look for used but we know that a new one is $429.00 based on the post above.

Tripod - Unless you are already lucky enough to own a real tripod that can handle 14-18lbs, figure $5k

Case - I think that a nice PortaBrace, Kata or Petrol is around $250.00?

I have no doubt that MANY people will buy the HPX300 who cannot afford it, they will skimp and get something lame like used batteries and will try to put this larger, heavier shoulder mount camera on a stupid Bogen POS and get away with it, if they do, they will learn the hard way. Like any professional camera, you do not buy a camera, you need to buy a camera system. The actual camera portion of a camera system should only be about 50-60% of your camera system budget, camera support is incredibly important to using a professional camera to obtain high end results.

It will be interesting to see how many newbies will step up for this camera, I bet it will be more people stepping up from a Canon XA-H1, HVX-200, etc.

D

Cees Mutsaers
02-22-2009, 12:25 PM
but people who have a HVX200 or a XA-H1 have the same problem as a newby, their batteries, tripod+head etc. etc. will not fit to the HPX either so it is maybe even better to be a newby at least if you have the necessary money :beer:

I agree with H on the Batteries 4 Broadcast stuff. I have not tried them, but Richard Andrewski of Cool Lights has been using some of their large batteries and likes them. Having owned Anton Bauer batteries when I had my Betacam, they are great stuff but very costly for what they do. The Batteries 4 Broadcast stuff is OEM in either the same or similar facilities where lots of name brand stuff is made.

The other thing you will need with the HPX300 is a tripod capable of supporting it. I am going to go off if I see people buying this camera and putting it on Bogen heads or junk like that. I have what I would consider the lowest acceptable tripod for this camera, the Sachtler DV6-SB head and realistically, it is too small for the HPX300 loaded up with matte box or 35mm adapter. We are talking a professional shoulder mount camera here that will easily be in the 14-18lb bracket here, depending on accessories, so we should be talking about tripods that can handle that weight with ease. In name brand, you are talking about $4k to $6k to do it right.

Oh yeah, and you will need at least a couple of decent sized P2 cards unless you already own them.

Camera with lens will be $8,495.00 MAP price, maybe you can get it lower based upon some deals we have heard talked about

Battery system (two batteries and a charger) $1,000.00 from Batteries 4 Broadcast

Tripod plate - This is something I would call Omega, BCS, etc. and look for used but we know that a new one is $429.00 based on the post above.

Tripod - Unless you are already lucky enough to own a real tripod that can handle 14-18lbs, figure $5k

Case - I think that a nice PortaBrace, Kata or Petrol is around $250.00?

I have no doubt that MANY people will buy the HPX300 who cannot afford it, they will skimp and get something lame like used batteries and will try to put this larger, heavier shoulder mount camera on a stupid Bogen POS and get away with it, if they do, they will learn the hard way. Like any professional camera, you do not buy a camera, you need to buy a camera system. The actual camera portion of a camera system should only be about 50-60% of your camera system budget, camera support is incredibly important to using a professional camera to obtain high end results.

It will be interesting to see how many newbies will step up for this camera, I bet it will be more people stepping up from a Canon XA-H1, HVX-200, etc.

D

puredrifting
02-22-2009, 02:28 PM
That is true Cees. People will realize that when you step up from prosumer to a pro camera, it is a whole different ball game. All of the accessories to make the camera function are MUCH more expensive for professional cameras than prosumer stuff. This is a large part of why I won't be able to buy one of these right off. Even if you get the camera for $8k, you almost double that to acquire the full camera package with everything needed to make it work correctly. Most prosumer users cannot afford $15k for their camera package, that is why they are shooting with a $5k camera.

It is exciting though, the 300 looks like a definite step up and is a nice option for those who need better than a prosumer camera but cannot step up to the $18 to $25k for a working HPX500 package.

Dan

kevinM
02-22-2009, 04:52 PM
With regard to the tripod, I've been using the Cartoni Focus head for two years and it has been great. 22lb capacity. I've also been using the Miller carbon fiber legs 66lb capacity. Here are the links.

So just under $2000 could get you there plus the SHANN adapter.

This is most likely the minimum head that will do the job.

Cartoni Focus fluid head:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423406-REG/Cartoni_F100_F100_Focus_Fluid_Head.html

Miller Solo VJ carbon fiber legs 100mm bowl:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/327753-REG/Miller_1505_SOLO_VJ_Carbon_Fiber.html

puredrifting
02-22-2009, 04:58 PM
I agree Kevin, the Focus or the DV6-SB (rated 20lb capacity) would be as low as you want to go with this camera. It is always best to have some additional "headroom" with tripods and cameras anyway. My DV6-SB doesn't impress me with 20lbs on it, but it is perfect with 15 or 16lbs.

Dan

Cees Mutsaers
02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Yes you are right the 300 seems as the best of both worlds but I am strugling with all the artifacts the cmos with rolling shutter supossed to have. What is your opinion about it. Are there easy ways to circumvent it? I would rather have some less resolution (HPX500) but not be limited by the rolling shutter artifacts but than again the 500 is much more expensive with lens.

That is true Cees. People will realize that when you step up from prosumer to a pro camera, it is a whole different ball game. All of the accessories to make the camera function are MUCH more expensive for professional cameras than prosumer stuff. This is a large part of why I won't be able to buy one of these right off. Even if you get the camera for $8k, you almost double that to acquire the full camera package with everything needed to make it work correctly. Most prosumer users cannot afford $15k for their camera package, that is why they are shooting with a $5k camera.

It is exciting though, the 300 looks like a definite step up and is a nice option for those who need better than a prosumer camera but cannot step up to the $18 to $25k for a working HPX500 package.

Dan

puredrifting
02-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Hi Cees:

I only got to play with it last week for about 15 minutes at a dealer. Have not shot with it but I have shot with the EX1 and EX3 a lot over the past year. I am 100% in agreement with Barry's take on it. The artifacts are there, they are very present and noticeable. The question is, what sort of shooting do you do most of the time? Me, about 50% of my shooting is sit down interviews. No issues at all with that. I shoot a lot of tabletop on a jib. I can work with the rolling shutter artifacts with tabletop shooting because I control everyhting on my tabletop shoots, the lighting, props, BGs, lighting and camera movement.

I shoot movie premiers occasionally. The HPX300 would NOT be a good choice for that situation, there are hundreds of camera flashes going off all over the place and rolling shutter looks pretty horrendous with the frame tearing during flashes. I don't typically shoot a LOT of long lens panning, that is where the CMOS rolling shutter is going to get you. As Barry states in his article, on the stock lens, fully zoomed in, you can see CMOS artifacting with almost all of the camera movement. I agree, that is also my experience with the EX1 and EX3. I shot a few baseball games, just for fun, and the footage was mostly useless unless I could live with the rubber looking pictures as I panned on long lens shots tracking runners and fielders.

Personally I will not buy an HPX300 unless I can pay for it outright, rather than selling my 170 to finance it. I think having the 170 and the 300 would be the best of all possible worlds. For my work, having a small prosumer camcorder is a very big plus and having a camera I could shoot long lens stuff on and use at movie premiers/red carpets would be a must. Few of my clients care about picture quality as much as I do. The 170 is good for them, heck, I even have most of corporate clients who I still shoot my DVX100a for and they are happy with the look of it. Corporate, for the most part, is still a 4x3 SD DVD delivery world so n most cases, even the 170 is overkill for them.

I think it boils down to there is not a perfect camera...

HPX170 - prosumer build, pixel shift
HPX500 - cost, horrible VF, pixel shift
HPX300 - 1/3" imager, CMOS rolling shutter artifacts
EX1 - horrible ergonomics, CMOS rolling shutter, less desirable codec
EX3 - same
HPX2000, 2700 - cost, not full raster
HPX3000, 3700 - cost, full raster but no VFR
RED One - cost, weight, cinema camera made for shooting films, not TV shows and what I do, workflow is cumbersome

Its all about selecting the right tool for you and your workflow. Truth be known, I could do killer work with any camera above and would be happy with any camera above. Already have the 170 and overall, I am very happy with it and have done some nice work with it. Would like to upgrade to the HPX300, but would still need the 170 for a lot of things.

Dan

LuckyStudio 13
02-22-2009, 07:57 PM
Not to mention, if you want to use a 35mm adapter, it will make the camera ungodly super long and front heavy (you can buy a $6500 or $3500 letus relay lens). So add a more heavier duty tripod system to your budget numbers.

Furthermore, with a shoulder mounted pro style camera like the hpx300, you also need a different type of "baseplate" for your 15mm rods. The rods do not extend all the way to the back making it impossible to use a rear counterweight like the zacuto lunchbox.

David Saraceno
02-23-2009, 09:57 AM
I'll show my ignorance.

Is there an AF function with the stock lens?

Kenn Christenson
02-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I'll show my ignorance.

Is there an AF function with the stock lens?

Nope. It's, basically a pro ENG lens.

puredrifting
02-23-2009, 11:11 AM
Many would say that is a primary difference between a professional and a prosumer camera. Prosumer cameras always have autofocus and professional cameras never have autofocus.

Dan

Cees Mutsaers
02-23-2009, 12:02 PM
So what do you recomend for someone who shoots mainly corporate movies(production processes, training, commercials) and for local goverment (archiving like construction works, real estate) and sometimes events ?

Hi Cees:

I only got to play with it last week for about 15 minutes at a dealer. Have not shot with it but I have shot with the EX1 and EX3 a lot over the past year. I am 100% in agreement with Barry's take on it. The artifacts are there, they are very present and noticeable. The question is, what sort of shooting do you do most of the time? Me, about 50% of my shooting is sit down interviews. No issues at all with that. I shoot a lot of tabletop on a jib. I can work with the rolling shutter artifacts with tabletop shooting because I control everyhting on my tabletop shoots, the lighting, props, BGs, lighting and camera movement.

I shoot movie premiers occasionally. The HPX300 would NOT be a good choice for that situation, there are hundreds of camera flashes going off all over the place and rolling shutter looks pretty horrendous with the frame tearing during flashes. I don't typically shoot a LOT of long lens panning, that is where the CMOS rolling shutter is going to get you. As Barry states in his article, on the stock lens, fully zoomed in, you can see CMOS artifacting with almost all of the camera movement. I agree, that is also my experience with the EX1 and EX3. I shot a few baseball games, just for fun, and the footage was mostly useless unless I could live with the rubber looking pictures as I panned on long lens shots tracking runners and fielders.

Personally I will not buy an HPX300 unless I can pay for it outright, rather than selling my 170 to finance it. I think having the 170 and the 300 would be the best of all possible worlds. For my work, having a small prosumer camcorder is a very big plus and having a camera I could shoot long lens stuff on and use at movie premiers/red carpets would be a must. Few of my clients care about picture quality as much as I do. The 170 is good for them, heck, I even have most of corporate clients who I still shoot my DVX100a for and they are happy with the look of it. Corporate, for the most part, is still a 4x3 SD DVD delivery world so n most cases, even the 170 is overkill for them.

I think it boils down to there is not a perfect camera...

HPX170 - prosumer build, pixel shift
HPX500 - cost, horrible VF, pixel shift
HPX300 - 1/3" imager, CMOS rolling shutter artifacts
EX1 - horrible ergonomics, CMOS rolling shutter, less desirable codec
EX3 - same
HPX2000, 2700 - cost, not full raster
HPX3000, 3700 - cost, full raster but no VFR
RED One - cost, weight, cinema camera made for shooting films, not TV shows and what I do, workflow is cumbersome

Its all about selecting the right tool for you and your workflow. Truth be known, I could do killer work with any camera above and would be happy with any camera above. Already have the 170 and overall, I am very happy with it and have done some nice work with it. Would like to upgrade to the HPX300, but would still need the 170 for a lot of things.

Dan

David Saraceno
02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
The HPX170 or the HMC150.

puredrifting
02-23-2009, 01:04 PM
Panasonic AG-HMC150 and a fast computer. Why spend all of the extra money for clients who could care less? I would never use or own P2 if my clients were of that category because clients in those categories typically know nothing about video and could care less what something is shot on, although a few of them are impressed with a big, honking camera.

It's funny, as my skills advance in this business, I have this perverse thought that I want to continue to use cheaper and cheaper tools as they become better and better. I am shooting part of what will hopefully be a broadcast doc in June on a Canon consumer HD camcorder that will cost around $1,000.00. The subject is compelling and needs to have the cinematographer blend in with his life seamlessly for the concept to work so me running around with my 170, P2 cards, laptop, etc. isn't going to cut it. Me with a tiny, lightweight and unobtrusive consumer camcorder is going to be the ticket.

My latest microphone I am using is the AudioTechnica AT875r. It is a very cheap ($189.00) mini shotgun that sounds as good or better than most $500.00 mics on the market.

My latest lights are the $399.00 Cool Lights LED 600s. Cheap, light and effective, especially for travel and one man band shoots that I often do.

I am definitely on the doing more with less trend lately. I probably should start trimming some of my three ton grip and lighting package because it is only getting used once or twice a year for the past few years so why have it all when I can rent a fully loaded two or three ton G&L truck for around $750.00 a day all in?

I am done trying to impress clients with gear, they want lean and mean so I say, give it to them. Make some profit instead of buying a higher end camera.

Dan

David Saraceno
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
It's funny, as my skills advance in this business, I have this perverse thought that I want to continue to use cheaper and cheaper tools as they become better and better.

I think it's telling rather than funny.

We have had a 200, a 200a, and 170.

We still have the 170 and a HMC150.

We primarily shoot on the 150, and then gear our purchases and learning to make the 150 look the best.

When I read that the 150 is a "prosumer" camera, I have to pause and laugh.

What makes it that?

I agree with you Dan.

We tailor what we do to get the best from the least.

In today's market, that makes sense, but overall it makes sense to the client as well.

If I can deliver a product inexpensively and professionally, clients will buy it and return and they won't ask what it was shot with

David Saraceno
03-02-2009, 10:21 AM
If someone has a DV6SB Fluid Head , what is necessary to get the 300 on that tripod head?

Just the cam -- nothing else?

The reason I ask is a distributor said that the more expensive SHAN-TM700 wasn't needed.

any help would be appreciated.

Cees Mutsaers
03-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Are you replaying on my question?

Panasonic AG-HMC150 and a fast computer. Why spend all of the extra money for clients who could care less? I would never use or own P2 if my clients were of that category because clients in those categories typically know nothing about video and could care less what something is shot on, although a few of them are impressed with a big, honking camera.

It's funny, as my skills advance in this business, I have this perverse thought that I want to continue to use cheaper and cheaper tools as they become better and better. I am shooting part of what will hopefully be a broadcast doc in June on a Canon consumer HD camcorder that will cost around $1,000.00. The subject is compelling and needs to have the cinematographer blend in with his life seamlessly for the concept to work so me running around with my 170, P2 cards, laptop, etc. isn't going to cut it. Me with a tiny, lightweight and unobtrusive consumer camcorder is going to be the ticket.

My latest microphone I am using is the AudioTechnica AT875r. It is a very cheap ($189.00) mini shotgun that sounds as good or better than most $500.00 mics on the market.

My latest lights are the $399.00 Cool Lights LED 600s. Cheap, light and effective, especially for travel and one man band shoots that I often do.

I am definitely on the doing more with less trend lately. I probably should start trimming some of my three ton grip and lighting package because it is only getting used once or twice a year for the past few years so why have it all when I can rent a fully loaded two or three ton G&L truck for around $750.00 a day all in?

I am done trying to impress clients with gear, they want lean and mean so I say, give it to them. Make some profit instead of buying a higher end camera.

Dan

puredrifting
03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Are you replaying on my question?

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear on that.

Dan

puredrifting
03-02-2009, 07:54 PM
If someone has a DV6SB Fluid Head , what is necessary to get the 300 on that tripod head?

Just the cam -- nothing else?

The reason I ask is a distributor said that the more expensive SHAN-TM700 wasn't needed.

any help would be appreciated.

You need the $429.00 at B&H tripod plate. Not sure if that is the model number above in your post though, just pull it up on the B&H website.

Dan

Shipsides
03-05-2009, 06:49 AM
That's the right model # (SHAN-TM700) for the Panasonic QR Tripod Adapter. We have some kits that could work for a turnkey all-in-one solution. Check them out here (at the bottom of the page):

http://www.abelcine.com/store/home.php?cat=331&sort=orderby&sort_direction=0&page=2

We have a special price for DVXusers as well. All the kits include battery solutions and QR Tripod Adapters.

If you are looking to buy a Light Weight Support Rod system like a Chrosziel 401-89 then you may have to hold off for a bit. Panasonic changed the standard front locking system, so normal LWS Rods won't fit. So special HPX300 LWS systems will have to be made, or olders ones can be modified. I know Zacuto is working on one already.

JohnnyD
03-05-2009, 12:39 PM
That's the right model # (SHAN-TM700) for the Panasonic QR Tripod Adapter. We have some kits that could work for a turnkey all-in-one solution. Check them out here (at the bottom of the page):

It looks like the same type of plate for Sony cameras. I'm using a Sony plate for my 500. They seem to be a little tougher than the Panasonic plate I looked at. And the Sony is a little bit cheaper.

I already had two laying around for my old Sony cams. So, with all of the old broadcast cameras going to dust, you should be alble to find a used one.

JohnnyD

Noel Evans
03-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Quick list of what you need (pretty much covered) and additionals not needed but what I recommend.

NEED
Tripod adapter plate.
Tripod suited to weight.
Batteries and charger - personally I use IDX Endura 10 (not s model) - these can be piggybacked for extra long record times. And Id recommend having 3 on hand.
Then - IDX VL2Plus charger - this charger also gives you a 4 pin power XLR out that you can hook to your camera for power in studio etc. (The 4 pin xlr power is also useful to power some other components as well if not connected to cam such as some field mixers and Pana HD LCD monitors)
2 to 3 good length 4 pin XLR cables
P2 cards

I also recommend (additionals)
Rod adapter plate - for use with ff and MB.
Filters - more specifically Polariser and NDs and half NDs for MB
Raincover
Something like the Kata Body glove. Because of size these cameras tend to be more prone to dings.
TRIPOD that factors in weight of rods/MB/FF/batteries/HD monitor

Barry_Green
03-05-2009, 02:25 PM
Keep in mind that the HPX300 is *very* power efficient. It draws 18 watts of power. That's compared to an HPX500 which uses 23 watts, or an HPX2000 which uses 36 watts. So you won't need as much battery capacity with a 300 as you would for one of the other cameras.

philip bloom
03-05-2009, 03:12 PM
i shot all day on two standard sized anton bauers with the 300 and battery two was still half full. Very efficient.

Noel Evans
03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
Im sure it is as it has less draw than the 500 and I find that efficient. Add anything via power tap such as on cam light, or add a monitor drawing through the 12v out and youre gonna take a hit.

monkeyking
03-06-2009, 06:02 AM
If you are looking to buy a Light Weight Support Rod system like a Chrosziel 401-89 then you may have to hold off for a bit. Panasonic changed the standard front locking system, so normal LWS Rods won't fit. So special HPX300 LWS systems will have to be made, or olders ones can be modified. I know Zacuto is working on one already.

Does that mean the $625 Zacuto zephyr LWS that already works with both SONY and PANASONIC broadcast cameras will not work with the HPX300?

ouch.

hammerhorror
03-06-2009, 06:29 AM
Don't forget that you will also need to purchase an on camera microphone. I don't believe a mic is included with the HPX300 (according to the user manual).

Jim Carswell
03-06-2009, 08:08 AM
One more thing for Noel's shopping list: the IDX V-mount battery plate to allow use of those Enduras. I love those batteries. I have eight left over from my Sony Beta SX camera. It will be great to put them back to work and earning money.
Jim

zacuto
03-06-2009, 07:37 PM
What Andy from Abel says is true, Panasonic changed the way LWS plates mount to the bottom of the camera and I'm afraid none of the existing LWS plates will mount to this camera. I'm sure it was necessary in order to cut costs and make the camera more affordable. It's more then making a spacer, that concept we tried but it doesn't work. see spacer:

http://www.zacutoimages.com/img/v5/p557837915-2.jpg

The problem which slipped by both me and Jens and was picked up by Mitch at Abelcine was that it actually jacked up the front of the camera. So then we were thinking about making a spacer for the front and back of the camera but finally realized it would be just easier to make a custom Zephyr plate as the solution and that is now the Zephyr300:

http://www.zacutoimages.com/img/v6/p19116406-2.jpg

The Zephyr300 is a custom made solution for the HPX300 and should be available when the camera is released and can be purchased from Zacuto or anyone of it's dealers. Here's the good news. Since this LWS is custom to this camera, we found a way to reuse the V-Wedge that comes with the camera making the cost of the Zephyr300 the cheapest LWS plate on the market at $565 including 8" rods.
It's a Zephyrama -http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/images/icons/icon10.gif- Steve

monkeyking
03-06-2009, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=zacuto;1568170]Zephyr300 the cheapest LWS plate on the market at $565 including 8" rods.

How much is it without the rods?

Noel Evans
03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
One more thing for Noel's shopping list: the IDX V-mount battery plate to allow use of those Enduras. I love those batteries. I have eight left over from my Sony Beta SX camera. It will be great to put them back to work and earning money.
Jim

Jim I think yours have been working longer than mine, but I have given mine every type of condition imaginable - and they seriously look like the day I pulled them out of the box.

earmarkcreative
03-09-2009, 01:58 PM

Hi Andy,

Will the standard baseplates from Chrosziel and Arri still work?

AVCHD_Bob
03-10-2009, 08:40 AM
You need the $429.00 at B&H tripod plate. Not sure if that is the model number above in your post though, just pull it up on the B&H website.

Dan

Hi all, I've been lurking as a guest for awhile, but I had to comment on the price for the SHANTM700. Currently on the B and H website its listed at $450 US. Here in Toronto, you can get it for $290 from vistek.ca. If you factor in the exchange rate, B and H is charging almost twice as much.

http://vistek.ca/store/231907/panasonic-shantm700-tripod-adapter.aspx

From what I can tell, B and H has some pretty awesome prices on cameras. Just wondering if they pad the price of accessories to make up for their pricing on other products?

RonnieMartin
03-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi all, I've been lurking as a guest for awhile, but I had to comment on the price for the SHANTM700. Currently on the B and H website its listed at $450 US. Here in Toronto, you can get it for $290 from vistek.ca. If you factor in the exchange rate, B and H is charging almost twice as much.

http://vistek.ca/store/231907/panasonic-shantm700-tripod-adapter.aspx

From what I can tell, B and H has some pretty awesome prices on cameras. Just wondering if they pad the price of accessories to make up for their pricing on other products?
So what you guys are saying is that the tripod plate from my Sony DSR 500 will not work with the panasonic 300?

Thanks
Ronnie Martin
www.dirtracingvideo.com (http://www.dirtracingvideo.com)

alexdias
03-16-2009, 08:58 PM
So what you guys are saying is that the tripod plate from my Sony DSR 500 will not work with the panasonic 300?

Thanks
Ronnie Martin

Yep.

Martin Rose
03-16-2009, 11:56 PM
the sony plate works fine with the hpx300

Martin

alexdias
03-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Well good to know maybe the SHANTM700 will be fit after all.

shapna
03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Quick list of what you need (pretty much covered) and additionals not needed but what I recommend.

NEED
Tripod adapter plate.
Tripod suited to weight.
Batteries and charger - personally I use IDX Endura 10 (not s model) - these can be piggybacked for extra long record times. And Id recommend having 3 on hand.
Then - IDX VL2Plus charger - this charger also gives you a 4 pin power XLR out that you can hook to your camera for power in studio etc. (The 4 pin xlr power is also useful to power some other components as well if not connected to cam such as some field mixers and Pana HD LCD monitors)
2 to 3 good length 4 pin XLR cables
P2 cards

I also recommend (additionals)
Rod adapter plate - for use with ff and MB.
Filters - more specifically Polariser and NDs and half NDs for MB
Raincover
Something like the Kata Body glove. Because of size these cameras tend to be more prone to dings.
TRIPOD that factors in weight of rods/MB/FF/batteries/HD monitor

sorry my ignorance, but whats de MBfor??
i guess the HPX 300 have Canon 48hz Balanced? And can anyone tell me a good mic to buy with it?

Thanks

Damian

alexdias
03-17-2009, 09:55 PM
MB stands for Matte Box.

The mic really depends on your needs and aspirations.
The Audio board on this site is a good place to start.

shapna
03-17-2009, 09:59 PM
Also any recomendation for a good HeadPhone??

puredrifting
03-17-2009, 10:02 PM
Damian:

If you want the best, the Sanken CS-1 is designed specifically as a camera mic, it is shorter than the CS-3e and sounds pretty good.

If you want decent but cheap, the AudioTechica AT875r is amazing for the money and totally usable also as a boom mic. You would be amazed if I told you how many interviews I have shot that have been broadcast and are available on DVD with that little cheap mic. My favorite best value mic, a LOT of bang for the buck.

Dan

shapna
03-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Dan
is this one ???
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495302-REG/Audio_Technica_AT875R_AT875_Short_Condenser_Shotgu n.html

If so, excelent price, Already put it on my must buy list.

Sorry to bother, i guess the hpx 300 has Canon In/out, and is 48 balanced?'?

also ask again for the HeadPhone. ( for Film making)

shapna
03-17-2009, 10:14 PM
Ohh, can i attach the filters to the camera directly or a really need to buy a MB?? cause i dont see it really really necesary for the price.

Christian m
03-18-2009, 07:32 AM
Ohh, can i attach the filters to the camera directly or a really need to buy a MB?? cause i dont see it really really necesary for the price.

Regular round filters can be fitted to any lens as long as they have threads. If you are planning to use more than a simple filter for protection I would add a MB. You need to be able to rotate the filter if you are using Polarizer or ND grad. MB also offers the option to use flag to block more unwanted reflections. I have a Vocas 250 MB that i used for Z1/EX1 that i will use for the HPX300. It's problaly the best out their for it's price and at least allowed me to push the last visual out of the Z1. If you are going to use filters to a certain extent, buy a proper one, it not don't waste you money on a MB that can't take the wear and tear of pro use.

mcgeedigital
03-18-2009, 09:10 AM
I can't emphasize enough how important a decent tripod is full these full size cameras.

I use a Sachtler 15 for my HPX-500 and every time I use it I realize just how good a purchase it was.

puredrifting
03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Dan
is this one ???
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/495302-REG/Audio_Technica_AT875R_AT875_Short_Condenser_Shotgu n.html

If so, excelent price, Already put it on my must buy list.

Sorry to bother, i guess the hpx 300 has Canon In/out, and is 48 balanced?'?

also ask again for the HeadPhone. ( for Film making)

Yes, that is the one. I have samples from it here http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html if you want to hear it.

I am not sure what "Canon In/Out" means, the HPX300 features the same XLR inputs as every other professional camcorder.

Headphones? Sony MDRV7506s/MDRV600s are very popular. The Sennheiser HD280s are very nice as well.

Dan

Cees Mutsaers
03-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Is there a flight cabin compatible soft bag for the HPX300 with viewfinder and mic attached?

Noel Evans
03-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Is there a flight cabin compatible soft bag for the HPX300 with viewfinder and mic attached?

I use this - http://www.kata-bags.com/Product.asp?Version=Video&p_Id=6

Im also using the Kata Body Glove - the camera condom to protect your gear.

Noel Evans
03-18-2009, 01:54 PM
I can't emphasize enough how important a decent tripod is full these full size cameras.

I use a Sachtler 15 for my HPX-500 and every time I use it I realize just how good a purchase it was.

Agreed. This is going to serve you better than almost anything else you will buy for your camera.

shapna
03-18-2009, 02:44 PM
Yes, that is the one. I have samples from it here http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/right_mic_brockett.html if you want to hear it.

I am not sure what "Canon In/Out" means, the HPX300 features the same XLR inputs as every other professional camcorder.

Headphones? Sony MDRV7506s/MDRV600s are very popular. The Sennheiser HD280s are very nice as well.

Dan

Dan,

Thank you very much for the info, I have to withdraw the money in the weekend so im thinking in 2 weeks i have my hpx300 at home, So happy.

Excelent forum i could solve all my doubt here

Thanks everyone who can make this happen.

Jan_Crittenden
03-18-2009, 04:17 PM

Ronnie, your tripod plate will work just fine. It is the mounting of the rod plate that is differet. To do this you have to frist remove the front base plate and replace it with an LWS plate, Then this plate will click into the same tripod plate.

You are fine is you have the VCT-14.

Best,

Jan

Jan_Crittenden
03-18-2009, 04:20 PM
We have an incredible bag that is perfect for this camera. It is made by Portabrace and inamed the P2HD-Case. IT will handle the camera, has lots of storage and if you own a P2 Gear or portable or Gear, there is actually a place for one. We should have pictures on the website.

Best,

Jan

Christian m
03-18-2009, 04:39 PM
Looks like Porta Brace have a camera armour just around the corner for the hpx300 to. Might come in handy as larger cams are more likely to take a pounding..

Cees Mutsaers
08-15-2009, 11:26 PM
According to my calculation you need about 30k euro (Euro zone) to have fully working camera and editting system and even than the editting system is at the minimum.

Dan

Ben Digedig
08-16-2009, 09:09 AM
This tripod thing is unfortunately so true. I'm used to hiring kit that come with decent tripods. On the HPX Kit purchase we could only go as far as 1500UKP for a tripod. The only positive thing I can say about this Libec is that it makes you a better operator! There is no flattery or hand holding going on on the moves! It is in no way a bad tripod - just what you get for the money.

I borrowed a DOP mate's 5000UKP Sachtler tripod the other day - I just couldnt have gone wrong! I could have used my foot to get a smoother pan than on the Libec!

This however is not news... It's something many of us knew before hand. My practical solution (in anticipation of trading up as funds permit) is to hire a brilliant tripod for the jobs that are willing to pay for it. Its about 30UKP for a 4k tripod per day. Its a great solution, for now.

BD