PDA

View Full Version : playing 5d mk2 footage back at 24 fps

beastofburden
02-21-2009, 03:08 AM
Has anyone played back any 5d mk2 footage at 24fps through a NLE? Is this even possible? I'm not suggesting actually converting 30fps to 24fps, I'm just very curious to see what it looks like slightly slowed down at the lower rate.

I ask just because I'm going to be doing a miniatures shoot soon and could possibly integrate the slower footage quite well if it can be just played back at 24....

tbanucci
02-23-2009, 04:01 PM
It only records at 30p, you can't capture at other rates. However, Vimeo automatically converts all HD footage to 24p apparently, so any videos posted on there with a Canon 5D will give you a good look at how it appears in suedo-24p mode. There are tons of 5D videos on there, just do a search.

beastofburden
02-24-2009, 04:55 PM
sorry i probably didn't do a good job making myself understood! I meant using the 30fps as effectively a slow motion tool, in the same way you would shoot 48fps to get half speed. Shooting with a higher frame rate and playing back at 24fps. If my maths is correct it would be slow it down to 20%ish slower?

morgan_moore
02-24-2009, 09:33 PM
it works and looks cool but I dont know how to do it

S

Lee Wilson
02-25-2009, 12:57 AM
@ beastofburden - this is very straightforward to do in any NLE / compositing package - and yes, lots of people do this.

beastofburden
02-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Is there any footage out there showing this? Thanks again!

Lee Wilson
02-25-2009, 04:08 AM
Is there any footage out there showing this? Thanks again!

It looks as you would imagine it would, 30fps slowed down to 24fps or 80% speed.

Try it for yourself on an piece of 30fps footage.

joeloud
03-04-2009, 06:15 AM
After Effects or Cinema Tools, among other things, will let you change footage frame rates, but you'd still be stuck with all overcranked footage, since this camera apparently can't shoot 24p. (Odd to me, considering it would actually be a slower data rate than 30p.)

Tracey Lee
03-10-2009, 10:07 AM
When I did a music video shoot last week, I decided to do exactly this. 1) so I could try and get an acceptable 24p look and 2) so that I could have a slowed down look as well. I sped the song up to 125% for the singer to lip sync, then in post I pulled the footage onto a regular 30p time line and slowed it down 80%. I have tried other combinations with Final Cut but for me and the tools I have available, I think this works best. It's hard to not get a strobe look. Of course it's not the same as true 24p but it's a decent workaround for now. Let's all hope Canon will give us the firmware soon.

I will post a sample clip after it's all edited if you like.