PDA

View Full Version : Converting 30F to 24F

Pouyan Fard
02-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to get every ones thoughts and experiences with converting the 5D Mark II footage 30F to 24F. I know some interpolate the footage in AE and some just do it in FCP.

Which way do you guys think is better and why???

Cheers

Pouyan

benn
02-21-2009, 07:46 AM
Create a 24FPS Timeline in Edius 5 and pull the to canopus hq codec converted 5dmkII clip in the timeline. before you do this go into the properties and click "yes" to convert the clip. Very good quality
Thats it.

Elton
02-21-2009, 12:53 PM
I think the AE, Twixtor or Compressor route is the best method. That's not to say that Edius doesn't do it right, I haven't seen any specific examples of results from Edius.

What you want is for the software to actually analyze the pixel movement of the original 30fps and then to give you a new, evenly spaced sequence of frames that closely approximates the movement of 24fps, without any obvious jumps between two images that looks like a frame was cut out. In Compressor or Shake, they call it 'Optical Flow'. It's basically the same thing with AE or Twixtor, either of which might do an even better job than Compressor/Shake etc. I'm happy with Compressor's output but the other apps have even more tweakability, especially the latest Twixtor)

If you just do a simple 24 fps conversion in FCP or most other editing apps, you will get very skippy footage because it is basically cutting out every 6th frame. This can be just unbearably awful to watch.

The best conversions are time consuming, but the good news is usually you can just edit in 30p, then convert the final edited movie to 24p with decent to good results.

mrmoe
02-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Maybe a cross conversion 30fps to 24fps in realtime using Kona, Black Magic or the new MXO2? But Apple Compressor may be the best bet.

http://www.matrox.com/video/en/products/mxo2/conversion/

Matthew Bennett
02-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Just come see me P, I'll hook you up with a good Mac solution.

StormFactory
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
For Sony Vegas users, you can try this method. Looks like the tutorial is for HDV footage, but it may work for 5D Mark II footage.

http://eugenia.gnomefiles.org/2009/02/09/butter-smooth-slow-motion/

I haven't tried it yet, but her examples look pretty smooth.