PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5d MK II manual lens?

evank
02-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi. I'm a newbie here so forgive me if this has already been covered but I couldn't find the specific answer on this and other sites... I know when your in video mode on the Canon 5d, you can't control the ISO and a number of other features but can you manually control the focus? Or does it over-ride that as well?

Also, can you use old manual lenses on the camera in video mode, or do you have to use the lenses with the sensor on the back?

Thanks in advance and like I said, sorry if this has already been covered

morgan_moore
02-21-2009, 05:03 AM
Canon lenses may be put into maual focus mode - I think

Aperture cannot be controlled apart from breaking the connection by half dismounting the lens

Best results are from suing non canon lenses like old manual nikons with an adapter

full aperture control is then possilbe and simple - there are many post threads etc also on some other boards

S

tbanucci
02-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Actually, it's only manual focus when in video mode, there is no auto-focus except when shooting stills. Aperture can be manually adjusted on the fly through the ISO +/- function, which is handy, but not all that good.

Tainted
02-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Actually, it's only manual focus when in video mode, there is no auto-focus except when shooting stills. Aperture can be manually adjusted on the fly through the ISO +/- function, which is handy, but not all that good.

Not quite true. You can use contrast detect focus while recording with the right setting. (You'll hear it on the audio, but it will autofocus while recording given decent lighting.)