PDA

View Full Version : Am I dreamin?

T:T
02-17-2009, 04:21 PM
My budget is about 200 GBP, and I'm due to start filming a very short short (5 minutes after post prod) next month.
Not having a camera is not a problem, because I can always rent one on a per-day basis, but I would like to spend the money on a mini dv camcorder instead of rental, so I have something to work with after the film.

Absolute requirements are:

Manual white balance
Manual focus
Manual aperture
Timecode

Would-really-likes are:

Firewire transfer
True 16:9 shooting mode
True 24p frame rate

Am I dreaming, or is it possible I could get something with at least my required components for around 200 GBP?
With regard to the manual control requirements, a friend of mine bought a Sony Handycam a few years back for 350 GBP, which had all of them, but they were controlled by a mouse-wheel sized mode wheel at the back of the camera body.

If there's no alternative, this will do, but I'd really like to be able to buy some kind of external control module (maybe with just a wheel and a mode button), if such a thing exists.
I have no idea what it would be called, or if such a thing would be supported by a cheap model.

I have little knowledge of camcorders, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

TT

DM_rider
02-17-2009, 09:51 PM
At that price, you wont find anything. Here's what I think you should do.

You should start looking around for someone who owns their own gear and try to get them on board with your project. If you look hard enough, you should be able to find someone that shows some interest. If you have a good script/idea, some body should bite.

also, are you a writer? director? what is your role?