PDA

View Full Version : On Average, how many pages do you shoot per day?

Sprocketboy
02-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I do know that certain scenes require more tender loving care, but truth be told, some of us are fast and some are meticulously slow regardless of the scene we are shooting. How many pages do you manage to squeeze out in a single day (8 - 12 hours) for an event like LOSSFEST?

Matty_g
02-16-2009, 11:28 AM
This realllllly is dependent on the crew, script, director, locations, and actors.
I've done two pages and I've done 14 ( 16 hour day).

Mark Harris
02-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Yeah, there is no way to tell. I think we average 4 pages per day on this. I think day one was a full 8 hr day and we did about 4 pages. Day two was about half day and 2 pages. But there's no way to tell.

Our next shoot day is this friday, and though I think we are covering 4 pages, it's a LOT of dolly and jib...so who knows. Luckily we spend a lot of time rehearsing the actors, so when we are set to go, we don't need to wait for them to figure out what to do.

ramsaur
02-16-2009, 12:21 PM
When we shot ours we had about 4 pages worth and shot it all in one day of 6 hours. Went very successful as well and I'm satisfied with what came out.

pia12254
02-16-2009, 12:51 PM
I think ours averaged about 4 pages per day but there is a lot of action...so the actual cut is coming out longer than the page count would suggest.

Sprocketboy
02-16-2009, 01:00 PM
I think ours averaged about 4 pages per day but there is a lot of action...so the actual cut is coming out longer than the page count would suggest.

That is so true. The descriptive action in a script (using industry standard formatting) could push the timing of a page longer than an average minute. In one case, a scene that I cut together ended up 17 seconds longer.

But does that count as a page and a quarter, or is it still a page?

warau
02-16-2009, 04:35 PM
I admit to not really knowing what I am doing but obviously it depends on what the scene you are shooting calls for. I shot a 1 page scene in 2 hours one night the next days shoot allowed me to shoot a 3 page scene in less than 1 hour. The difference was in light setup, sound difficulties, movement of actors, camera movement, level of difficulty for the actors, etc.

For LossFest, I shot a 7 page script in 2 days, a total of 12 hours from starting setup to finished, camera back in the case.

RodThompson
02-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Honestly, for me as a screenwriter, it depends on how much ammo I have laying around and how pissed I get when I can't get the script right.:kali:

Chris Messineo
02-17-2009, 05:51 AM
I have shot anywhere from 1 page to 5 pages in a day.

For LossFest our script is only 1 page long, so we shot it all in one day and we were able to take our time with it.

cheezweezl
02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
average is 5. i consider 10 a super human feat. monday i shot 14. kicked my ass.

Sprocketboy
02-18-2009, 01:11 PM
average is 5. i consider 10 a super human feat. monday i shot 14. kicked my ass.

They say over 10 pages is 'unearthly.'

Brandon Rice
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
We shot 17 pages one day on NGL

Brandon Rice
02-18-2009, 02:30 PM
averaged 8 :D

Eric Meisner
02-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I think your playing safe and smart shooting an average of 3 to 4 pages a day. Of course, the size of your crew, the scope of your vision, and if your blowing up an abandon hospital play factors too.

RyanT
02-25-2009, 11:19 PM
3 pages always. Never more, never less.

chriscurl
02-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Next time, less than I did this time. Going to take more time on takes and lighting and not rush through doing too much in one day.

Sprocketboy
02-26-2009, 09:00 AM
Next time, less than I did this time. Going to take more time on takes and lighting and not rush through doing too much in one day.

I agree. Filmmaking isn't a marathon. Its best to take a reasonable amount of time to get what you need. I'm going to afford myself a little more time on the next shoot. I'll try to average between 3 to 5 pages. These numbers could change depending on my style or approach to a particular story.

chriscurl
02-26-2009, 09:07 AM
This Lossfest movie was my first project that wasn't for the 48 Hour Film Project, and I have to get out of that mindset, of course that is easier said then done when people are volunteering their help and you have to juggle having limited hands on deck, schedules and real life, etc.

So in a perfect world...

Austinv
08-13-2010, 10:02 PM
5-7 pages a day. Work quickly and rehearse. Make sure peple know there jobs and do not baby sit anyone. There is no reason to shoot 2 pages a day unless you have explosions and 1 take only type of stuff.

J Davis
08-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I've been spending more and more time on my work. My latest we averaged 2 days for every page.
This is longer than hollywood standards but we have a small crew.

edit: exact stats were 6 pages, 10 days shooting for 15 minutes final edit.
edit: this was not for dvxuser fests tho but I would want to apply this methodology to everything I do

mrmoe
08-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Tthe reality is... Your page count is really based on the amount of setups you think your crew can get through contingent on the scene requirements.

Hollywood Film = 1 page per day
Indie Films = 4 page per day
Network TV = 10 page per day

My2cents

prexdealer
06-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Resurrecting an old thread - but hey I searched!

When we are discussing pages, is there a lot of directions in it or is 1 page mean 1 page full of dialogue only?

Sounds like a newbie question, but I am working on a short that I want to shoot in one day and I want to make sure no one dies or gets killed by his crew, lol.

I understand that setups and prep play a key role in how much gets done in a day.

Just trying to get an idea.

Thanks.