PDA

View Full Version : HPX300 wth AVCINTRA announced

Jim Carswell
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
For those who have not seen in the HVX forum or heard about this announcement it is as follows:

“Panasonic announced today the release of the new AG-HPX300, a 2.2 megapixel, 1/3inch 3-cmos camcorder. The HPX300 records to P2 in both AVC-Intra and DVCPRO HD in 1080i/p, 720p and standard definition. Featuring interchangeable lenses, a shoulder mount design, and several new features, it is clearly designed to challenge the Canon XL H1s and JVC GY-HD250. The AG-HPX300 will retail for $10,700 (inlcuding a fujinon lens) and is expected to become available in March 2009.

The CMOS chip inside the camcorder is newly designed. It features a on-chip chromatic aberration compensation, as well as dynamic range stretch, which reads the content of the image to compensate for overly bright or dark areas. Panasonic also claims that the pixel density of the CMOS chip is lower than comparable sensors.

The AG-HPX300 features a LCOS viewfinder, which includes on-board focus assist, audio monitoring and even a vectorscope. There is also a 3.2 inch LCD on the side of the camcorder.

Panasonic has also announced a matching studio configuration package for under $10,000.”

Jim Carswell
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Here's another release from Broadcasting & Cable. It refers to 3MOS instead of CMOS.

NAB 2009: Panasonic Intros Low-Cost, High-Quality HD Camcorder
10-bit, 4:2:2 model will sell for $10,700

By Glen Dickson -- Broadcasting & Cable, 2/11/2009 12:00:00 PM MT

Panasonic has introduced a new P2 HD solid-state camcorder with 10-bit, 4:2:2 image processing, the AG-HPX300, which will be available in March at a suggested list price of $10,700.

The camera, which was formally introduced at a press event in New York Wednesday where Panasonic detailed its plans for the NAB convention in April, uses Panasonic's AVC-Intra advanced compression scheme to record HD video at 100 and 50 megabit-per-second bit rates in both the 1080i and 720p formats using solid-state P2 memory cards.

The HPX300, which has a 1/3-inch imager with 2.2-megapixel 3-MOS technology, can also be used as a studio camera and is equipped with a remote control terminal (RCU) for use with the optional AJ-RC10G Remote Control Unit and compatible studio remote control systems. Panasonic says that later this year it will release a customized studio configuration system which will include the AG-BS300 base station, AG-EC4 extension control unit (ECU) and AG-CA300 remote control camera adapter. The optional studio add-on package will sell for less than $10,000.

"The HPX300 establishes a new benchmark for performance within this price range" said Robert Harris, Vice President, Panasonic Broadcast. "It not only captures full native 1920 x 1080 HD resolution, but it allows professionals to record at a quality level that no other camcorder in this price range can equal. Without the compromise of 8-bit, long GOP, 4:2:0 recording, the HPX300 provides master-quality, 10-bit, 4:2:2 individual frame capture using our award winning AVC-Intra codec. Video professionals will immediately realize that this camera is in a field of its own."

ImpossibleBishop
02-11-2009, 01:49 PM
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prModelDetail?storeId=11301&catalogId=13251&itemId=329735&modelNo=Content02112009034732256&surfModel=Content02112009034732256

Mitch Gross
02-11-2009, 02:10 PM
Andy Shipsides from our office made an introductory video tour of the new HPX300. Here's the link:

http://www.abelcine.com/articles/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=318&Itemid=34

Nik Manning
02-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Ok this is pretty good overall. What is the target market for this camera? Will this camera have shallower depth of field compared to other 1/3 sensor size cameras? If a depth of field adapter is added to the camera it will allow you to record to this 10 bit format without any hiccups correct?

ryanweiss89
02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
I'm liking the entire camera, AVCIntra, High Rez on-board LCD (FINALLY), Interchangeable lens, everything looks awesome.

Barry_Green
02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Will this camera have shallower depth of field compared to other 1/3 sensor size cameras?
No, all 1/3" cameras will perform the same at the same focal length.

However, yes, if you put on a long lens and get way the heck away. In Africa we were using 328mm worth of lens from a hundred yards away, and the dof was paper-thin. :)

If a depth of field adapter is added to the camera it will allow you to record to this 10 bit format without any hiccups correct?
Yes.

mcgeedigital
02-11-2009, 04:39 PM
What glass was that Barry?

RichardVClark
02-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Check out the pictures in the other thread.

dadoboy
02-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Put an adapter in front of that 17x fujinon lens, if possible, and you would lose the nice looking form factor.

I believe the new relay lenses coming out from Cinevate can be used for 1/3" mounts, but I'm not sure if there is a crop factor involved - most likely.

Jason Adams
02-11-2009, 08:25 PM
Looks very cool. Is this meant to replace HPX 500?

Barry_Green
02-11-2009, 08:50 PM
What glass was that Barry?
We shot some stuff with the stock lens, but most of it was using a 2/3" Canon HJ21x7.8 lens.

Barry_Green
02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
Looks very cool. Is this meant to replace HPX 500?
This is a 1/3" camera. The 500 is 2/3". They'll probably be sold side-by-side.

augenblick
02-12-2009, 12:23 AM
Some pics:

http://www.film-tv-video.de/uploads/pics/B_0209_Pana_HPX_301_TR.jpg (javascript:close();)

http://www.film-tv-video.de/uploads/pics/B_0209_Pana_HPX_301_D_1.jpg (http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:close%28%29;)

http://www.film-tv-video.de/uploads/pics/B_0209_Pana_HPX_301_TF.jpg (javascript:close();)

http://www.film-tv-video.de/uploads/pics/B_0209_Pana_HPX_301_D_3.jpg (javascript:close();)

http://www.film-tv-video.de/uploads/pics/B_0209_Pana_HPX_301_D_2.jpg (javascript:close();)

http://www.film-tv-video.de/typo3temp/pics/62abcd021f.png (javascript:close();)

Peter

marco0782
02-12-2009, 11:31 AM
Why the insistence on ENG-style bodies? I mean, why do we need such a large hunky body when we are not housing a tape drive? These cameras are fine on a tripod or in the studio, but for handheld applications, they have poor ergonomics. I'm not talking about weight, either. The length is preposterous.

This type of camera is what Panasonic should be thinking about. Something that lets cinematographers achieve shots never before possible (this is the camera used on Slumdog):

http://www.siliconimaging.com/DigitalCinema/Images/SI-2Kmini_productpage.jpg

Marco

alpi69
02-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Why the insistence on ENG-style bodies? I mean, why do we need such a large hunky body when we are not housing a tape drive? These cameras are fine on a tripod or in the studio, but for handheld applications, they have poor ergonomics. I'm not talking about weight, either. The length is preposterous.

This type of camera is what Panasonic should be thinking about. Something that lets cinematographers achieve shots never before possible (this is the camera used on Slumdog):

Marco

Sorry Marco, but you clearly have never used one of them. I love my HVX200, but when it comes to long handheld shooting or one needs a quick servozoom or you start attaching stuff like wireless audio, lights etc the formfactor is proven and works. Yes you can achieve different things with different cams and therefore they get developped like that.

Bassman2003
02-12-2009, 02:09 PM
I agree.

Little cameras can be just as limiting in different ways.

Larger cameras can be held much more steadily for longer periods of time than the little cameras.

Plus, I like the momentum of a larger when panning as well as being able hold on to something.

This hybrid large/medium format is great. Now if they had just put in 1/2" chips and SD/CF card recording I would be jumping for joy right now.

Mac
02-12-2009, 02:45 PM
I have been using an HPX500 for over a year and a half, almost always handheld, and I'm over 60. In the past, as a documentary filmmaker, I have owned Eclair NPRs, Eclair ACLs and, for over 25 years, an Aaton LTR. All of THOSE cameras are ergonomically designed...

If you look further on the S1 2K resource page you will see that they have an intermediate body accessory (between the item shown here and the Aaton Bauer battery mount) that provides for shoulder mounting (it's actually a computer that allows for touch-screen programming among other things)... This is actually the configuration I've been told was used for most of SLUMDOG.. And in that configuration it is a superb little camera!

Everyone to their own, I guess, but for me I have been complaining about the chiropractic horrors of "handycams" (like the HVX200) for documentary shooting for years...

Congratulations to Panasonic for paying attention... I will replace my HVX200 "B" camera with an HPX300 as soon as it's available... After I hear the reviews, of course, but I'm optimistic...

Mac
02-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add something - It appears that they have cut the forward body portion of the new camera lower than the 500 (similar to the old Sony DSR200), which shows that someone is actually paying attention to the needs of people like me..

With a lower body profile, you can actually see OVER the camera to your right while shooting... This is a big deal in a shoulder mount camera - if you don't believe me, try shooting in a rioting crowd when you are completely blind to one side....

joe 1008
02-12-2009, 04:13 PM
I have some adapter questions that Barry maybe is willing or capable to answer:

1. Lightloss is a big issue with 35mm adapters. Does the 300 come close to the 500 in sensitivity?

2. I suppose the letus 2/3" rely lens will fit on this camera. But there should be a HUGE crop factor. Would a Letus Ultimate be clean enough to compensate for that unvoluntary "zooming in"?

dwells
02-12-2009, 06:49 PM
This looks like a great camera, Panasonic is going to keep JVC at bay with their HD100, but I have a little reservation about the 1/3" chips. It's easy to get spoiled with 1/2" sensors like those found in the XDCAM EX cameras, but I'm glad Panny is putting out a Full HD, interchangeable HD camera.

Things are getting very interesting!

David

DavidNJ
02-12-2009, 07:40 PM
Now...let's put it in an HPX170 chassis...say and HPX 200?

Barry_Green
02-12-2009, 08:05 PM
1. Lightloss is a big issue with 35mm adapters. Does the 300 come close to the 500 in sensitivity?
The 500 is over 1/2 stop more sensitive; the 300 clocks in at about 500 ISO, the 500 at 800 ISO.

2. I suppose the letus 2/3" rely lens will fit on this camera. But there should be a HUGE crop factor. Would a Letus Ultimate be clean enough to compensate for that unvoluntary "zooming in"?
Can't say until someone tests it...

Barry_Green
02-12-2009, 08:06 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add something - It appears that they have cut the forward body portion of the new camera lower than the 500 (similar to the old Sony DSR200), which shows that someone is actually paying attention to the needs of people like me..

With a lower body profile, you can actually see OVER the camera to your right while shooting... This is a big deal in a shoulder mount camera - if you don't believe me, try shooting in a rioting crowd when you are completely blind to one side....
Actually Jan brought that up as a specific design feature they set out to implement. P2 is huge in football, with a dozen NFL teams and several dozen major colleges using it for instant replay/coaching review footage, and Jan said that shooters love the ability to see over the side of the camera when there's 300-lb linebackers that might be rushing at you...

SPZ
02-12-2009, 08:41 PM
How does this compare to this JVC cam, for Filmmaking?

http://pro.jvc.com/prof/attributes/features.jsp?model_id=MDL101851&feature_id=01

One thing I'm not sure, but I assume is correct, is that they allow the XDCAM EX codec to be recorded on the 2x SDHC ports in this cam. Sounds interesting! Its not AVCINtra, but its CCD, and if they are using pixel shift, it should be, still, better theoretically than Panasonics Pixel Shift, due to JVC 1/3 CCD technology being 1280x720 native- it should be something like the HPX2000, in other words, but with 1/3 CCD's. At least, theoretically, in resolution terms.

For someone that never used both new cams- HPX300 and JVC700- I would assume this:

JVC's Pros:

Cheaper (8200 list= 7k ish retail)

Lighter and smaller- seems to follow the HD100/200 design

SDHC recording- Cheap media for 35mb XDCAM EX codec- solid codec, but 4:2:0

CCD's- No Rolling Shutter issues.

JVC's Cons:

Should be the same HD100/200 Technology- mirror effect is still in our memory

Costumer support- Many horror stories over here about JVC gear concerning reliability- excluding their CRT's and LCD's which are very good.

Panasonic HPX300 Pros:

Avc Intra- The best non-raw codec for Broadcast and production in existence. Better than it, should be only the Sony HDCAM-SR codec-but that's way, way beyond affordable.

P2 Workflow- its cemented, and its a pro for me since I have invested a lot in this...

Panasonic Cinegamma- Other cameras can come close to achieve it in tweaking and/or in Post-production, but its really a unique and fantastic emulation of film and a great plus for Panasonic. Its patented for a reason.

"real" Shoulder Mount look- Good for the client that requires both form and substance :).

Panasonic Costumer support- Good, reliable, and effective. Excelent track record in manufacturing, so its a big plus in terms of costumer confidence.

Panasonic Cons:

3mos- Skew- Barry found it, and that's troubling. While this could be an even field in Cmos land, vs the JVC, seems like everyone is losing.

P2- Prices are still way high. In a global economical crisis, it needs at least a 30% cut in price for new HPX300/ HPX170 users to find this attractive vs the competition

Size/weight- Heavier and bigger than the JVC. Is it more ergonomic this way? I don't know.

Price- More expensive than the JVC (around 500 USD to 1k.)

What do you guys think?

marco0782
02-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Sorry Marco, but you clearly have never used one of them. I love my HVX200, but when it comes to long handheld shooting or one needs a quick servozoom or you start attaching stuff like wireless audio, lights etc the formfactor is proven and works. Yes you can achieve different things with different cams and therefore they get developped like that.

Who said anything about the 200? That form factor sucks too. I guess Panasonic knows what they are doing because plenty people seem perfectly happy with a gigantic old school ENG body style.

I have shot with a DSR-250 in film school and I hate it. I am not a news cameraman. I want to film movies with the same agility I have when I shoot stills. That type of ergonomics has yet to be perfected (D90 and 5D are flawed in other ways), but when it is cameras like the HPX300 will seem absurd.

And thanks for reminding me of the hostility and arrogance found on these forums when someone has a difference of opinion. It's the reason I barely post anymore.

Marco

smelni
02-13-2009, 09:34 AM
what kind of lens mount does this thing have?

Mac
02-13-2009, 09:38 AM
This is really funny... A camera is announced that maybe a handful of people have actually seen in person, and on this and other forums the self-appointed pundits are already bemoaning it's deficiencies... very entertaining...

There's an old axiom about not re-inventing the wheel. It is smart design sense to stick with a tried and proven form factor, and if possible, improve on it. It appears that that is what Panasonic has done - they've taken an HPX500, trimmed it down some and stuffed "prosumer" guts into it - plus, apparently, greatly improved things like the viewfinder... I think that's pretty smart.

People that don't want an ENG style camera have plenty of other choices (besides which, as I alluded to above, the "ENG" style is a hand-me-down from professional 16mm cameras that are still used to shoot dramatic productions today). There are plenty of potential customers that have been craving that design in an affordable P2 camera.

My only regret is that I just spent $2,500 for a 2" finder for my HPX500, and it looks like there will be an improved, and less expensive, alternative coming soon... Oh well, such is technology...

dolph2000
02-13-2009, 10:58 AM
Except for the depth of field what will real difference be between 1/3 and 2/3''.
I mean if there's a small difference, it comes close to the HPX2700

Mike Harvey
02-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Who said anything about the 200? That form factor sucks too. I guess Panasonic knows what they are doing because plenty people seem perfectly happy with a gigantic old school ENG body style.

I have shot with a DSR-250 in film school and I hate it. I am not a news cameraman. I want to film movies with the same agility I have when I shoot stills. That type of ergonomics has yet to be perfected (D90 and 5D are flawed in other ways), but when it is cameras like the HPX300 will seem absurd.

And thanks for reminding me of the hostility and arrogance found on these forums when someone has a difference of opinion. It's the reason I barely post anymore.

Marco

Because you're not going to have the stability holding a video camera built like it were a still camera like you would using a shoulder mount. Plus, putting P2 slots, batteries, XLR inputs, and a decent LCD/Viewfinder on an SLR style body that would be easy to hold for any length of time would be a bit difficult.

Barry_Green
02-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Industry standard 1/3" bayonet. Same mount as JVC and Sony.

what kind of lens mount does this thing have?

NewYorkLion
02-13-2009, 02:43 PM
My only regret is that I just spent $2,500 for a 2" finder for my HPX500, and it looks like there will be an improved, and less expensive, alternative coming soon... Oh well, such is technology...

im curious what you mean by that. To me it looks doubtful that the 300 viewfinder will fit on the HPX500. It would be amazing if it did, but I'm not getting my hopes up (I bought a vf20wb too)

Mac
02-13-2009, 04:57 PM
I, too, doubt that the HPX300 finder would work - I assume the viewfinder output on the new camera is digital, and since the 500's is analog, apples and grapefruit - besides, where would we get one separate from the camera anyway?

What I meant was that the hardware apparently exists at Panasonic to offer an accessory color finder that's sharper than the 2" B&W one we just bought, and possibly at a lower price... I like my finder, but color's nice, and sharper would be even nicer...

ProfD
02-13-2009, 05:07 PM
1/3" vs 2/3" chip.... seems like a rather large difference in the amount of data collected...? What think yea?

Kholi
02-13-2009, 05:29 PM
The chip, as I'm learning, isn't the major factor to be considered. Remember, the 300 is AVC-Intra...

Bassman2003
02-13-2009, 05:58 PM

Marco

I have re-read your original post and I guess you are talking about using the SI-2K mini as a form factor you would like to use in a handheld environment?

A - why don't you buy a SI-2K?

B - how are you going to hold the camera, adjust the iris, find focus, plug a mic in ect... with that little box attached to a lens? - and keep it steady... This is not still photography where one can adjust settings in between shots.

C - Do you know that to use these camera in the Slumdog movie they hired a firm out of Germany to design a special backpack Laptop recording harness to allow them to use this camera in a handheld situation? - That does not sound like a sub-$10,000 answer to me.

Your harsh tone based on sketchy factual information is what prompted people to answer in a cold manner.

Joe Lawry
02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
I, too, doubt that the HPX300 finder would work - I assume the viewfinder output on the new camera is digital, and since the 500's is analog, apples and grapefruit - besides, where would we get one separate from the camera anyway?

What I meant was that the hardware apparently exists at Panasonic to offer an accessory color finder that's sharper than the 2" B&W one we just bought, and possibly at a lower price... I like my finder, but color's nice, and sharper would be even nicer...

The viewfinder on the HPX300 is not removeable, the cable is hardwired to the camera. You can slide it off if you undo 2 screws however, which will be good for packing into small cases.

mcgeedigital
02-13-2009, 07:11 PM
Actually Jan brought that up as a specific design feature they set out to implement. P2 is huge in football, with a dozen NFL teams and several dozen major colleges using it for instant replay/coaching review footage, and Jan said that shooters love the ability to see over the side of the camera when there's 300-lb linebackers that might be rushing at you...

True that. One of my buddies is a DP for the Ravens. He got clocked this last season.

It wasn't fun.

Jan_Crittenden
02-14-2009, 03:52 AM
The viewfinder on the HPX300 is not removeable, the cable is hardwired to the camera. You can slide it off if you undo 2 screws however, which will be good for packing into small cases.

I wouldn't recommend doing this as a practice, because those scews, will come up missing soon enough. It really is meant to stay on the camera. If you want to down size the case, take the lens off.

Best,

Jan

dwells
02-14-2009, 06:25 AM
I remember many "pundits" trashing 1080i HDV based on what the specs said (only 25mbps compression), without ever seeing an image. It's the way people are, no matter if it's a new camera, NLE program, etc., and a lot of my clients love Sony and Canon 1080i HDV. The Z1 was/is a very popular camera, as was/is the XLH1 series.

Heck, what if the three-1/3" CCDs end up being more light sensitive due to new technology? We won't know until the camera comes out. But I'm certainly happy they're putting full-res HD into this camera, and making it affordable.

All I know is, based on the history of Panasonic pro cameras, this one is likely to be a winner. I know many shooters waiting to test it out when it's available.

Heath

Shipsides
02-14-2009, 08:56 AM
Hey guys,

Here is some HPX300 footage in P2 format. Only a couple of different shots in different frame rates but it'll give you an idea. This is all in AVC-I 100 1080.

HPX300-AVCI100.zip (http://www.filefactory.com/file/af0e22g/n/HPX300-AVCI100_zip)

Some footage and stills can also be seen on my Vimeo site - http://www.vimeo.com/shipsides

Andy

Barry_Green
02-14-2009, 11:36 AM
im curious what you mean by that. To me it looks doubtful that the 300 viewfinder will fit on the HPX500. It would be amazing if it did, but I'm not getting my hopes up (I bought a vf20wb too)
The 300's viewfinder is not removable, it's hardwired to the camera, so no it won't fit on anything else.

They may make some other LCOS viewfinder that can be interchanged, but you aren't going to use the 300's viewfinder on any other camera.

Kholi
02-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey guys,

Here is some HPX300 footage in P2 format. Only a couple of different shots in different frame rates but it'll give you an idea. This is all in AVC-I 100 1080.

HPX300-AVCI100.zip (http://www.filefactory.com/file/af0e22g/n/HPX300-AVCI100_zip)

Some footage and stills can also be seen on my Vimeo site - http://www.vimeo.com/shipsides

Andy

Thanks Andy! I can't DL the zip. Am I missing a link somewhere?

guillaum972
02-14-2009, 02:48 PM
Thank you for sharing Andy.
Taxi shot is very clean. Did you use -3db gain?
the boat sequence is more grainy. Did you use 0db gain?
Night shot are clean too.

I'm just comparing your footage with 1440x1080 hvx200 sequence on my 24" broadcast monitor. That's night and day.

This new camera is very exciting. Hope we can find 1/3" relay soon.
sorry for my poor english.

Lumiere
02-14-2009, 04:19 PM
I am cs4 user,but not P2 cards,so ı am not used to this p2 viewer software.Even i download thep2 viewer and the drivers ı can not see these files neither with p2 viewer nor on any cs4 applications?
Does anyone have any idea?

Shipsides
02-14-2009, 04:51 PM
Thanks Andy! I can't DL the zip. Am I missing a link somewhere?

Sorry for the confusing link.. scroll down the page and click on "Download with FileFactory Basic" this will allow you to start download. I would post it on my own site but I was afraid of having to much bandwidth usage.

Lumiere
02-14-2009, 04:52 PM
Sorry for the confusing link.. scroll down the page and click on "Download with FileFactory Basic" this will allow you to start download. I would post it on my own site but I was afraid of having to much bandwidth usage.

Does footage 30p?

sorry for the stupid question..:(

Shipsides
02-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Thank you for sharing Andy.
Taxi shot is very clean. Did you use -3db gain?
the boat sequence is more grainy. Did you use 0db gain?
Night shot are clean too.

I'm just comparing your footage with 1440x1080 hvx200 sequence on my 24" broadcast monitor. That's night and day.

This new camera is very exciting. Hope we can find 1/3" relay soon.
sorry for my poor english.

Good call. All of the footage is shot at 0db, except that one boat shot which is +3db.

Wallywonka
02-14-2009, 05:14 PM
How does one view the clips, I downloaded the file I have Adobe CS4 but it won't recognize the files I guess I'm missing a step somewhere, havent used P2 before.

cheers.

Lumiere
02-14-2009, 05:44 PM
How does one view the clips, I downloaded the file I have Adobe CS4 but it won't recognize the files I guess I'm missing a step somewhere, havent used P2 before.

cheers.

Adobe screams that they offically support avc-i codec on both premiere cs4 and AE cs4,but actually they are not. I investigate hole internet and evryone says the same,must be somthing wrong with their offical announcement and the reality...shame:(
No way to import them in any CS4 application,as far as i understood..

Joe Lawry
02-14-2009, 06:23 PM
Hmmm, that shot of the cabs is pretty nice.. a bit of wobble on the first sky scraper shot however.

Barry_Green
02-14-2009, 07:15 PM
I am cs4 user,but not P2 cards,so ı am not used to this p2 viewer software.Even i download thep2 viewer and the drivers ı can not see these files neither with p2 viewer nor on any cs4 applications?
Does anyone have any idea?
You have to download the AVC-I codec separately before P2 Viewer will work with AVC-I files. Go to the P2 Viewer download page and look for the AVC-I codec.

Lumiere
02-15-2009, 04:16 AM
yes you can play on desktop with p2viewer over content management,but no way for cs4:( ı've not heart anybody worked in cs4 yet...
By the way i couldn't see any miracle with avc-i,if someone would not say they are acv,i would think they are old dvcprohd.I've to check it with chroma keying,then maybe 10 bit matters..

Jan_Crittenden
02-15-2009, 04:26 AM
By the way i couldn't see any miracle with avc-i,if someone would not say they are acv,i would think they are old dvcprohd.I've to check it with chroma keying,then maybe 10 bit matters..

I think you might need a better monitor as there is more resolution in the AVC-Intra in both 1080 and 720. Also if you look at tonal gradations, this is where all 8 Bit codec fall down, especially in the browns, reds and blues, or at least this is where I see it. A 10 bit codec will handle this with ease, the 8 bit you might want to check before you leave the set.

Best,

Jan

n8ture
02-15-2009, 04:42 AM
I know Barry said my raw footage was about twice as sharp as the DVCProHD stuff I sent Jan.

Paul Kramm.net
02-15-2009, 08:42 AM
what is the difference between HPX500 and HPX300 besides the 2/3 chips.
I have a chance to buy a HPX500 for $7,ooo.
I'm going to try and use my 8.5 X 5.5 2/3 SD lens for now.
I really like the 2/3 chips for the lattitude and depth.

thanks, Paul

LuckyStudio 13
02-15-2009, 10:03 AM
what is the difference between HPX500 and HPX300 besides the 2/3 chips.

The biggest difference is, the hpx500 is a global shutter CCD camera and the hpx300 is a rolling shutter cmos camera.

Read the following articles regarding the differences.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=111003

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?t=151441

Some Footage exhibiting all weaknesses of a rolling shutter CMOS camera.

http://freshdv.dreamhosters.com/mjeppsen/video/ex1_strobe_cmos_rolling_shutter_artifact.mov

http://vimeo.com/1451532

http://vimeo.com/2132665

http://vimeo.com/1451404

http://vimeo.com/2043552

LuckyStudio 13
02-15-2009, 10:13 AM
Another issue with CMOS sensor is IR contamination. Many Red One and EX owner have been forced to buy new IR filters based on this issue that can cost up to $1170 for a set of Pancro ND+IR filters.

You guys that have access to the hpx300, please report back on the IR contamination level on the cam.

Djamel
02-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Dear Jan,

Does this mean that DVCPRO HD is now obsolete and all Panasonic broadcast camcorders that will now be released have AVC-Intra capabilities?
Thank you for you thoughts!

Djamel

proffit
02-17-2009, 02:43 AM
DVCPRO HD is hardly obsolete. I think these various HD formats we have today -even HDV- will be used as long as the cameras are working. And yes; the CMOS & CCD issue is a critical thing as long as there's evident problems with rolling shutter etc.

dadoboy
02-17-2009, 03:18 AM
It's a bit ironic that the hpx300 has a great form factor for fast mobile handheld and other movement. And yet it has a CMOS sensor with a rolling shutter. There's things that can be done in engineering that can minimize the effects of wobble and skew in a rolling shutter, and most likely Panasonic like other manufacturers has done a good job of it. Perhaps better.

The SI-2K has a CMOS sensor and a rolling shutter, and when I was watching Slumdog Millionaire, I never noticed wobble and skew and this was a movie where the camera was constantly moving, panning, etc. I did notice the noise, but it fit the aesthetic and the vision. I was engrossed in the visual story telling and drama.

So for me, the technical differences between global/rolling/CCD and CMOS are not significant enough that I would prioritize them above dynamic range, resolution, mobility, ergonomics eyepiece placement, and all that other good jazz.

Jan_Crittenden
02-17-2009, 04:01 AM
Does this mean that DVCPRO HD is now obsolete and all Panasonic broadcast camcorders that will now be released have AVC-Intra capabilities?

DVCPRO HD is hardly obsolete, it is a better codec than what else is in its price range. I mean if it was good enough for Planet Earth, its good enough for a lot of excellent programming.

I am unsure of the last question, it is technology that has to get downsized to fit in the handhelds, so we just have to wait and see on that.

Best,

Jan

joe 1008
02-17-2009, 03:05 PM
I think format change doesn't mean what it meant before: There's actually no change of tape format anymore, nor does the workflow change. It's all P2 and it costs little to Panasonic to maintain older codecs on their cameras while evolving toward better and newer ones. They could really do so for decades without additional costs or hindering any tecnological progress.

dwells
02-17-2009, 07:33 PM
HDV is evolving into basically a tapeless format (HDV is inherently tape-based), and I know some shooters on both the XDCAM EX and HD systems that are using the "SP" (re: HDV) setting to save space on their cards or disks, and also in post.

Like you said, DVCPRO HD and the rest are here to stay.

David

shorelinedigital
02-17-2009, 09:41 PM
I think format change doesn't mean what it meant before: There's actually no change of tape format anymore, nor does the workflow change. It's all P2 and it costs little to Panasonic to maintain older codecs on their cameras while evolving toward better and newer ones. They could really do so for decades without additional costs or hindering any tecnological progress.

That's an incredibly powerful statement right there. It affords Panasonic and us as users the ability to choose and shoot what it is that we need for any particular project.

If DVCProHD is right for your project or AVC-I....they are both there without the need to change to new media with every advancement.

Paul Kramm.net
02-18-2009, 09:45 AM
well.....maybe i'll just wait for the HPX600 to come out....
I only wish.........sigh (HPX300 with 2/3 chips)

Kholi
02-18-2009, 10:14 AM
well.....maybe i'll just wait for the HPX600 to come out....
I only wish.........sigh (HPX300 with 2/3 chips)

That's the HPX3000.

Paul Kramm.net
02-18-2009, 10:42 AM
or if they up-grade the HPX500 (new VF.....better LCD) all with 2/3 chips.
thats not asking for to much now.....is it??

mcgeedigital
02-18-2009, 10:45 AM

With Panasonic's great track record of listening to it's customers, I'm sure something just like that is probably in the works.

Cees Mutsaers
02-18-2009, 01:17 PM
and the small other improvements of the HPX170

Paul Kramm.net
02-18-2009, 02:16 PM
What is the wireless mic system on the HPX300??
i can't find any info on it (Make and Model #)

Barry_Green
02-18-2009, 02:20 PM
It has a UniSlot so it can take any wireless receiver that complies with the UniSlot spec.

There is no wireless receiver built into the HPX300, but there's a slot there so it can take an onboard wireless receiver, such as by LectroSonics.

puredrifting
02-18-2009, 02:20 PM
http://www.lectrosonics.com/hybrid/sr/sr.htm

Dan

Paul Kramm.net
02-18-2009, 04:30 PM
do you know of any other UniSlot receivers ??
make and model number.
thanks, Paul

puredrifting
02-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Azden makes the 1000 and 1200 line of Unislot receivers. But Azden is at the opposite end of the quality spectrum. Why would you not want to buy Lectrosonics, they are hands down considered one of the top wireless systems made. Why not buy the best?

Dan

Paul Kramm.net
02-19-2009, 12:41 PM
I think i'll try and see if i can aford the Sennheiser EK 3241-U .
Sennheiser USA HQ is in the next town over from me in Old Lyme, CT

if i do get a HPX300 ......
Thanks, Paul

BerkeleyBob
02-19-2009, 05:19 PM
I don't believe the Azden 1000 or 1200 are dual mode receivers. The Sennheiser dual receiver is about the same price as the Electrosonics SR and the Azden (around $1,800), but the Sennheiser transmitters seem pretty pricey at $2,500-$3,500 per. Seems like Electro is the way to go. Sony makes a slot-in receiver as well, but I don't think it fits into Panasonic cameras. You'd think Panasonic would list all the available slot-ins on its accessories page, but I've not been able to find such a list.

dregenthal
02-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Marco

Now that's what I'm talking about! I think I'm going to trash all my stuff, get one of these and go helmet mounted.

(humor intended).

BTW, is there an eyepiece or something so you can see what you're shooting?

Jan_Crittenden
02-20-2009, 08:13 AM
I don't believe the Azden 1000 or 1200 are dual mode receivers. The Sennheiser dual receiver is about the same price as the Electrosonics SR and the Azden (around $1,800), but the Sennheiser transmitters seem pretty pricey at $2,500-$3,500 per. Seems like Electro is the way to go. Sony makes a slot-in receiver as well, but I don't think it fits into Panasonic cameras. You'd think Panasonic would list all the available slot-ins on its accessories page, but I've not been able to find such a list.

Hi,

Good idea on the list, and until I can get that to happen, there are three manufacturers that make compatible slot-in receivers. Azden, Sennheiser and Lectrosonics.

Best,

Jan

Cees Mutsaers
02-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Very quite on the HPX300 form the last days, everybody is probably waiting for experiences buyers. I can't wait to see some more footage and what the limitations are:-)