PDA

View Full Version : Erm... Newbie needs advice on her camera..

LadyNatasha87
02-10-2009, 09:35 AM
Hi Guys,

It's me again sorry to keep bothering you all like this lol :huh:

You have all been so nice and helpful to me on my other thread :dankk2: that I thought maybe you would all be able to give me some advice on my camcorder. I have currently got a JVC GZ-MG50EK. Is this a suitable camcorder for a novice who wants to start making short films etc..

Here is a link (http://www.trustedreviews.com/camcorders/review/2006/01/04/JVC-GZ-MG50EK-Digital-Camcorder/p1) to save you some time

Also, are there any learn from home editing courses that I can do at home whilst I learn the ropes as I can't currently afford to go full time at a college/uni.

Thanks again in advance for any help.

Natasha

ZazaCast
02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
ANY camera will work...it's more about the story than anything else. Grab that camera & start shooting, experiment with editing & sound. Don't be afraid to make mistakes...have fun.

Oh... and read as much as you can...this site...books...other web sites. Knowledge is power.

It will all come together as you work it!

LadyNatasha87
02-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey Thanks ZazaCast,

I just wondered how it would hold up as a camcorder. Whether or not it is a good starter camera so to speak.

Otis Grapsas
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
The camera is not important at this stage.

There are lots of great book on this art. Search the site using google.

You can take a finished film and analyse its editing. Anything with traditional editing such as a Hitchcock film wiil do (Psycho and Vertigo are very good for this). Convert the DVD to a file format you can edit, and start disecting it to sequences. Then down to individual shots. Then study how it works. This should take about 6hours and you will learn a lot about the film structure, photography, composition, even sound editing. If you can get a production script for the film it will help. If you take the smaller segments/sequences of the film and play them in a video player (vlc or mediaplayer classic), you can use a keyboard shortcut to save a frame from each shot. Open the folder and study how the shots work together when changing location, on dialogue scenes, etc. Very easy to see very important things about structure in thumbnail format and using a photo viewer than can read the key frames really fast and fowards/backwords.

ZazaCast
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
It will work fine to get started..dip you toes in the water & find yourself as a creative artist...from there you'll find your next camera, lights, jib, dollies, mics...and all the other stuff you'll need!

...but most of all remember... the gear doesn't make the filmmaker.

ZazaCast
02-10-2009, 10:29 AM
Oh... and listen to Otis...great advise!