PDA

View Full Version : HowTo: Upgrade a FS-100 to 250GB

Frantic
02-08-2009, 04:04 AM
how to replace the 100GB hdd with 250GB or 320GB (500GB) in your firestore fs-100
(no warranty given! use your brain when doing the operation!!!)

1.) get the 4.0.1.xxxxx BIOS update from focus enhancements as it supports >250GB drives. otherwise your fs-100 will not support bigger harddisks. flash your fs-100 with the new BIOS.
link to fs-100 bios 4.0.0: http://www.focusinfo.com/rfi/confirmation.asp?id=82
link to fs-100 bios 4.0.1: http://www.focusinfo.com/dynassets/documents/downloads/FS100v4.0.1.04032008.zip works only for 4.0.0 users!

2.) open the little screws of the firestore case. look which model (IDE or SATA) you have. I have the IDE model. If you have SATA, you canīt use a IDE drive. close the case again until you got the new hdd drive.

3.) If you have IDE, buy the WD Scorpio 250GB (WD2500BEVE) with PATA (IDE) interface.
technical specs of the WD scorpio 250 (IDE): http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=346
Or you can buy a 320GB WD320BEVE with PATA (IDE) interface.
technical specs of the WD scorpio 320 (IDE): http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=599

3a.) if you have a SATA firestore and a SATA HDD: it isnīt very complicated to mount a SATA drive into a SATA firestore. just plug and play one/two cables.

4.) if you got the new drive from your dealer, open again the little screws of the firestore case.

5.) you have to stick tapes to the same places on the new harddisk where the original yellow ones are sitting. but beware of covering the little air hole with the tape!!! otherwise you may damage your harddisk! i made also a little hole in the tape, i used a fine knife for that.

5.) disconnect the flat cable of the old hdd. then open the little screws of the silver plate below the harddrive. open the 4 screws which fasten the hdd to the silver plate. put the old hdd away. maybe you can get an external case later to use the old 100GB hdd with your computer.

6.) there is a a square of metal (shielding) affixed to the underside of the old drive exactly where the fan lined up with the drive. take that off the old drive and fix it on the new drive on the same place. otherwise you could get problems with the fan.

7.) connect the new hdd with the flat cable. pay attention to the direction the cable is connected to the drive. if you reverse it you will probably kill your hdd and or the fs-100. fix the screws in reverse order so that the new harddisk is fixed in the case.

8.) close the case with the outside screws.

9.) connect your firestore to the power supply. for best security, connect also an accu to the case.

10.) start the engine :beer: (press the "ON" button on the fs-100)

11.) maybe your firestore will ask you to partition the new drive. in this case press "NO" (otherwise the fs-100 will make two partitions with 125GB each).
11a.) Normally all firestores over 100GB (also the original 160 and 250GB models) will partition into 2 (or more, if you use 320GB drive) partitions. the second partition will automatically be used if partition one is full (this is the default firestore behaviour, also on the original 250GB-models). if you are comfortable with this, you can press "YES" and forget step 12 and 13.

12.) if your firestore says "Please wait" after the boot screen, use the arrow keys on the fs-100 to navigate to the "DD DRIVE" option. Enable the computer connection. you should hear a ding dong (=recognized firewire device).

13.) use this program http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html to partition and format a single 250GB /320GB partition with FAT32 (Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 CAN NOT format partitions larger than 32GB with FAT32). If you are on a Mac you can just use the disk utility to format the drive with FAT32.

14.) reboot the device. you should see "278 minutes free" for 250GB or 356 minutes for 320GB (in DVCPro HD/1080i) or something similar, but only if you are using one single partition, if you’re using 2 or more partitions, you have to add all minutes from all partitions.

congratulations, you have just upgraded your fs-100 to the newest 250 GB / 320 GB model!

edit: according to some postings in this thread it should be possible to upgrade your fs-100 to 500 GB (=557 minutes recording time).

you should test the recording between camera and fs-100 after the modification to ensure the correct workflow!

monday1313
02-18-2009, 01:13 PM
If you are on a Mac you can just use the disk utility to format the drive.

once you're up and running, don't use the format feature on the firestore it will format it into two partitions again...

monday1313
02-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Well, this is what I get for getting a firestore off ebay...

While I had it apart to install the new hard drive, I did a dust removal with some compressed air. I gave the fan a good blast and it made a fun sound, so I blasted it twice.

Then I put the thing back together and set up it up and let it record. I was making sure it would handle a really long record so I set it to slow-mo and let it record me working in my studio.

A couple of hours later. I check it and it was locked up. Apparently the fan had died as it was just in there twitching, not rotating.

So I took it apart to check the connections. Everything was hooked up the way it was supposed to be. Called focus enhancements for a fan, they wanted 300$ to fix it and they won't sell the parts.

www.digikey.com has them and will sell just one. $13 plus shipping.

You'll need a Torx T5 bit to unscrew the screws holding the fan in (I think, I tried to get some digital calipers in there to check and as near as I can tell it's a T5. I guess I'll find out when I go out and get a set of them tomorrow. (check wikipedia for bit sizes...)

I guess it's good that I found this out now, rather than on my next shoot. Now atleast I know what that funky smell is that I've been smelling...

mmhaus
02-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Well, this is what I get for getting a firestore off ebay...

While I had it apart to install the new hard drive, I did a dust removal with some compressed air. I gave the fan a good blast and it made a fun sound, so I blasted it twice.

Then I put the thing back together and set up it up and let it record. I was making sure it would handle a really long record so I set it to slow-mo and let it record me working in my studio.

A couple of hours later. I check it and it was locked up. Apparently the fan had died as it was just in there twitching, not rotating.

So I took it apart to check the connections. Everything was hooked up the way it was supposed to be. Called focus enhancements for a fan, they wanted 300$ to fix it and they won't sell the parts.

www.digikey.com has them and will sell just one. $13 plus shipping.

You'll need a Torx T5 bit to unscrew the screws holding the fan in (I think, I tried to get some digital calipers in there to check and as near as I can tell it's a T5. I guess I'll find out when I go out and get a set of them tomorrow. (check wikipedia for bit sizes...)

I guess it's good that I found this out now, rather than on my next shoot. Now atleast I know what that funky smell is that I've been smelling...

I did the swap out this evening and everything went perfectly (minus forgetting to place the tape on the HD the first time I had it open) but when I put it back together a funny thing happened...... my fan just sat there and twitched. I had read your post and thought it was very odd that the same thing would happen....strange.

So then I put on my thinking cap, picked up the old 100GB drive and looked it over.
Lo and behold there was a square of metal (shielding) affixed to the underside of the drive exactly where the fan lined up with the drive. I was thinking there might be some magnetic issues between drive and fan even before I saw this piece. I pried the square of metal off the old drive, it still had enough tack to it, and placed it on the new drive in the exact same location........guess what?

It works perfectly and I have my 278 minutes of pure HD recording time.

Thanks to all for this thread. I couldn't be happier with a rehabbed FS-100. Now for the field testing.

Monday1313 check your old drive.....and I think you will save yourself some headaches.:thumbup:

j......

monday1313
02-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Thanks so much! atleast I'll have a spare fan now, I think I'll go ahead and put the new one in anyways, since it's over 2 years old and smelled burnt out even before all this happened.

now let me check the old harddrive...

:-)

EDIT:

yeah, just put that metal piece on and fired it up. works like it should...

lesson learned...

thanks again....

Frantic
02-19-2009, 09:11 AM
thank you guys for the hint with the a square of metal (shielding) affixed to the underside. i hadnīt the problem with the twitching fan but i now have put the shielding to the new hdd-drive after your warnings.

for upgraders i have edited my first posting and mentioned the shielding (point 6.).

NoNoob
02-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Very cool hack. Thanks for sharing folks.

Any hope for my measly FS4-40GB?

It should be this simple, eh?

Thanks for any input regarding this.

Nick Walters
02-19-2009, 10:16 AM
I read another thread where a guy with an FS4 100gig upgraded the drive...my guess is that the only difference between the FS4 40g and fs4 100g is the drive. I'd buy a drive and try it out if I were you.

monday1313
02-19-2009, 12:42 PM
it's really a question of firmware. I would check the revision notes that come with the firmware download and see if they added support for larger HD sizes...

NoNoob
02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
Did some research on the subject.
YES YOU CAN- no problems either.
40G to 80G, pizzapie. 5400 rpm IDE drive. Laptop common, cheap too.

ALSO, found some stuff on increasing batt performance; mods and hacks.
So, you can really get power performance equal to the time quotient of the drives.

Pretty cool.
Can pass along links if any of y'all are interested.

Frantic
02-19-2009, 04:06 PM
maybe someone is selling his old FS-100 100GB drive to you!? :beer: we donīt need it anymore, we have now 250 gig. :)

So, you can really get power performance equal to the time quotient of the drives.

Pretty cool.
donīt ask, show us your links! :beer:

Frantic
02-19-2009, 04:59 PM
by the way: i use canopus edius 5 for importing and editing my p2-material. with the new 250gb partition i had some clips greyed out on the timeline (grey clips=sequences) first. after i reimported the clips to a new location on my pc all clips went coloured again. could be because i edited while importing the clips from the firestore...

please check in your editing application if thereīs a new behaviour of the p2-files. maybe this happens only if the files are bigger than 2GB!? donīt know, just guessing.

someone could try to use the format command of the firestore to partion/format into two 125Gb partitions and check out, what happens, if the first partion is full (seamless switching to the second partition?).

i ask this because i canīt imagine how the original 250GB fs-100īs are working with the big harddisks. maybe we simply donīt need to format a single 250GB partition? for myself i wanted only one single 250gb partition because i like to see the complete remaining time while shooting.

monday1313
02-19-2009, 11:55 PM
once i get my fan swapped out. I'll give it a shot unless someone beats me to it...

probably monday or tuesday...

mmhaus
02-20-2009, 09:08 AM
i ask this because i canīt imagine how the original 250GB fs-100īs are working with the big harddisks. maybe we simply donīt need to format a single 250GB partition? for myself i wanted only one single 250gb partition because i like to see the complete remaining time while shooting.

Do you think there would be performance issues with a single 250GB partition? I am not so concerned with seamless transition as I am with performance of the drive. I would be willing to partition multiples if it assures me of glitch free recording.

Frantic
02-20-2009, 09:22 AM
no, iīm not concerned about performance issues. i am just curious why the BIOS is asking me to make two partitions although it would be compatible with the 250Gb partition.
i think the bigger the cluster size is, the better the write performance. video files are normally very big. so my way should be the one with better performance.

anybody with original 250GB fs-100 here?
if you know someone who owns such a original 250GB fs-100, ask him how it is partitioned and how it works, if there are two partitions!

monday1313
02-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Okay, my fan arrived early, so here's the results of my torture tests.

The time it locked up before my noticing of the fan failure and the first test after the fix were done with these settings:

camera in 720p at 24fps with the scene file frame rate set to 60fps. The firestore was set to VFR mode with a base framerate of 24fps. It was partitioned with a single ~230gb partition using OSX10.5.6's disk utility (fat 32 of course). I figured this was the highest possible data throughput available. temperature in the room at the height of the firestore was around 73 degrees. (I know this because I have a thermometer in here because I render 3D with numerous computers pretty much 24/7)

Both times it failed after about 2.5 hours of footage. (that's by timecode, not time spent recording) both times it locked up the clips were recoverable but with the in in/out timecodes not always correct in FCP's ingest window. The footage was still useable though and timecode runs when I played the clips. The clips were all about 5.5 minutes long and listed as incomplete.
I did not try fix clip, i just organized p2 after a reboot.

I checked the temperature of the firestore after rebooting and it was under 50 deg C.

So then I formatted the disk using the firestore menu. I got 2 partitions as expected. I then switched to 1080 24pa and recorded straight through, when the first one filled up it switched over to the next one and the display reset to reflect this. I let the seond disk fill up completely at which time the firestore stopped recording.

FCP recognized both partitions and there were 2 spanned clips, one for each partition. I forgot to check if there were any dropped frames between the two spanned clips.

If someone would like to try the single partition method with the same settings I used and post their findings that would be awesome.

Frantic
02-22-2009, 03:17 AM
The time it locked up before my noticing of the fan failure and the first test after the fix were done with these settings:

Both times it failed after about 2.5 hours of footage. (that's by timecode, not time spent recording) both times it locked up the clips were recoverable but with the in in/out timecodes not always correct in FCP's ingest window. The footage was still useable though and timecode runs when I played the clips. The clips were all about 5.5 minutes long and listed as incomplete.
I did not try fix clip, i just organized p2 after a reboot.

my english is not the best, sorry. do you say that the upgraded 250gig firestore crashed after 2.5 hours? with the new fan installed? in both ways, with one 250GB partition and/or with two partitions?

Noel Evans
02-22-2009, 04:23 AM
Frantic, you seem on top of this so I want to ask you.

You are in Germany, so I assume you have a PAL(50hz) records 50p/25p FS?

I have a PAL and NTSC version. The PAL version is dead, not too worried though - bought it very very very cheap second hand as it was a bit beaten up and not cared for. (I mean really cheap).

So to the NTSC version, now this is basically software and a HDD - it doesnt care if its recording 50 or 60Htz.

Think its possible to flash the bios of the NTSC version with PAL software? Only talking about software after all, sheesh shouldnt be so hard right?

Cheers for any insight.

Frantic
02-22-2009, 04:45 AM
right, i own the pal version. as i heard, the ntsc has different hardware so flashing BIOS is not enough. here on dvxuser theres a thread of a german guy who bought 2 ntsc fs-100 and is currently in contact with focus to make pal versions out of them.

Noel Evans
02-22-2009, 05:00 AM
Thank you for the reply. Might be easier to sell this one and buy another used PAL.

monday1313
02-22-2009, 07:30 AM
the double partition did not crash.

Frantic
02-22-2009, 09:21 AM
before or after the fan repair?

monday1313
02-22-2009, 11:28 AM
i tried the double partitiion (2 partitions of ~115 gb) after switching out the fans. it worked fine and is still working fine so far.

Frantic
02-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Thank you for the reply. Might be easier to sell this one and buy another used PAL.
recently i read: the german focus headquarter makes a ntsc/pal change for the fs-100 for 250 euros.

GuyS
03-02-2009, 06:07 AM
What is the model number of the fan available from digikey.com?

I changed my FSC from a 60gig to a 120gig about 20 hours of usage ago. I haven't had any problems with the fan.....yet!

Added (got a little paranoid)
My fan is a Sunon Maglev GM0502PEV3-8 DC 5V .25W

Frantic
03-02-2009, 06:19 AM
i would stick the metal plate to ne new drive, if i were you. so you wonīt need a new fan.

rpmnava
03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
Did the upgrade over the weekend... from 90 to 278 minutes!! I love it, No problems

I cant thank you enough for helping us save money and increase our bottom line.

Ron Nava

crobs808
03-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Ok, I did this a while ago, using the Westerndigital 250GB, since that is the only 250gb IDE drive I could find.

Now, everything works fine, says I have 270+ minutes befcause I formatted it fat32 single partition before putting it in, so all is well except I did not put the tape on the drive like the old one had.

The old drive has yellow/orange tape on it, and also a metal plate on the underside of it. I did not put the tape on, nor did I move the metal plate to the new drive. Did I need to do that?

p.s. - as soon as the solid state drives go down, I am putting one of those in. you can get a very short/small cable that converts from sata to ide, so it will fit inside, and be identical to the P2 cards, all solid, no worries about moving platters! right now the 256gb SSD drives are $600, but I am sure they will be half or less than that by the end of the year :) I will never need P2 cards, yay!! :)

crobs808
03-02-2009, 04:54 PM
Actually, you guys could upgrade to 320GB using this drive...
http://www.streetprices.com/Products/Western-Digital-WD3200BEVE-SP33937844.html

This is the largest IDE 2.5" drive available. anything above 320GB is going to be SATA, which is not the interface used by the FS-100.

I upgraded my FS-100 with the 250GB WesternDigital 2.5" drive about 6 months ago, and all works fine. It actually runs cooler than the Hitachi drive, so the fan does not have to work too hard, and I am using a single FAT32 partition.

In order to make the drive just have one large FAT32 partition, you have to download a program called Fat32Format. It is freeware, but it is the only tool that can format large drives as FAT32

Here is the link for it:
http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/FAT32format.shtml

Command line Usage: "format e:"

If your drive does not have a letter (meaning it is just free space/blank) then right-click on MyComputer and select "Manage", then click on Disk Management. you should see your drive in the right side, just with no letter or partition associated to it. You can right click on the free space and make a new partition. Just make it NTFS (quick format) for the max size of the drive. This will at least give it a drive letter so that you can now run Fat32Format from the command line to convert it to FAT32

Good luck.

crobs808
03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
NOTE: When you take your 100GB or 160GB drive out of your FS-100, make sure you keep it in a safe place. I recommend against using it or putting it into an external enclosure and using it for something else, because if you ever need to send in the Firestore to Focus Enhancements, you will have to send it in with the original drive in place or they will know that you modified it and thus voided the warranty.

You see, there is no sticker or seal that gets broken when you do this upgrade modification, so as long as you hang on to the original hard drive and dont use it for something else, then you can always put it back in if you ever need to ship it in.

-crobs808

crobs808
03-02-2009, 05:18 PM
FYI - If you upgrade to the WesternDigital 320gb (uses the same voltage settings and temperature requirements as the original Hitachi drive that Focus Enhancements puts in, then you will get 355 Minutes of Recording Time!

I think I will upgrade my 250gb to the 320gb now :) Which means...I have a 250gb WesternDigital drive to sell. Anyone want it? I will let it go for $50, and will send it to you already Fat32 formatted as a single partition if you like :)

Good Luck,
-crobs808

Noel Evans
03-05-2009, 05:15 AM
Ive sent mine in to change over to PAL, will change the drive when it returns.

What would be good - hot swappable drives in the fs.

Frantic
03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
the double partition did not crash.

hi,

today i tested recording with one big partition and it didnīt crash. recorded some 3 hrs 50 minutes or so. left 40 minutes free space on the firestore. wanted to record longer but the accu of the hvx was empty. ;-)

maybe your crash was caused by another thing?

Frantic
03-05-2009, 07:24 PM
FYI - If you upgrade to the WesternDigital 320gb (uses the same voltage settings and temperature requirements as the original Hitachi drive that Focus Enhancements puts in, then you will get 355 Minutes of Recording Time!

I think I will upgrade my 250gb to the 320gb now :) Which means...I have a 250gb WesternDigital drive to sell. Anyone want it? I will let it go for $50, and will send it to you already Fat32 formatted as a single partition if you like :)

@crobs808:
did you test it with 320gb? the readme in the 4.01 bios says that only 250gb hdd is supported.

jdert
03-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Can anyone attest to the fan problem actually being caused from the "square of metal"? I will be upgrading my FS-100 in a week or so and wanted to be sure. We have some of the HD-100's (JVC version) at my work and decided to upgrade one since it had been dropped once or twice! It was a seemless upgrade, however we seem to be having the same fan issue. But there is no "square of metal" attached to the old HD-100 drive?! I'm trying my damdist to get this thing hot enough to engage the fan but no luck so far. I don't seem to remember the fan on my FS-100 going on too often, only during mid-day summer shoots. I wonder what temp the diagnostics have to read in order to start the fan? Anybody?

randy09660
04-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Does anyone have pics or video of the inside of a FS-100? I have a 160 gig model not sure if it's Sata ot IDE? I tried opening it but couldnt open it al the way seem like something was holding it close together. I had all the screws out. I think it was the ribbion it seemed very tight? I'm looking to either replace the dive with on that has better shock & vibrations rating or to a SSD. I think I have an IDE model will switching to a Sata HD help with vibrations? Or is therre just better IDE HD's? I have seen HDrevolutions site and am thinking about their kit but do I need to switch to Sata if I have IDE?

randy09660
04-04-2009, 02:15 AM
I have a 160 with 2 partitions 100 & 60 guess thats just the way they want it to be?

randy09660
04-04-2009, 02:22 AM
I have a 160 version two partitions 100 & 60 works fine as far as seamless recording. My trouble is vibrations which why I'm thinking bout going with a SSD. Unless I can find a HDD with better shock & Vibrations ratings.

randy09660
04-21-2009, 07:54 AM
no, iīm not concerned about performance issues. i am just curious why the BIOS is asking me to make two partitions although it would be compatible with the 250Gb partition.
i think the bigger the cluster size is, the better the write performance. video files are normally very big. so my way should be the one with better performance.

anybody with original 250GB fs-100 here?
if you know someone who owns such a original 250GB fs-100, ask him how it is partitioned and how it works, if there are two partitions!
I have a 160 gig model and it aways makes 2 partitions 1 is 112 minutes in DVCPRHD & 2 is 62 minutes. Been like that from brand new works seamless but I never have used it in P2 only in QT. I'd like to swap to a bigger and better drive for vibration reasons. I'd really like to get a SSD anyone done that yet?:huh:

Frantic
04-21-2009, 08:14 AM
what happens if you make a file which is going over the first partition? is it cut into two pieces and the rest of the file is stored onto the second partition?

monday1313
04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Can anyone attest to the fan problem actually being caused from the "square of metal"? I will be upgrading my FS-100 in a week or so and wanted to be sure. We have some of the HD-100's (JVC version) at my work and decided to upgrade one since it had been dropped once or twice! It was a seemless upgrade, however we seem to be having the same fan issue. But there is no "square of metal" attached to the old HD-100 drive?! I'm trying my damdist to get this thing hot enough to engage the fan but no luck so far. I don't seem to remember the fan on my FS-100 going on too often, only during mid-day summer shoots. I wonder what temp the diagnostics have to read in order to start the fan? Anybody?

that piece of metal may be inside the harddrive itself. I'm not sure whether I tried the peice of metal with the old fan or the new fan, but I remember putting it on and finding out that I didn't actually need the new fan....switched it out anyways becuase I wanted to replace all the moving parts in mine...

obonin
05-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by jdert View Post

that piece of metal may be inside the harddrive itself. I'm not sure whether I tried the peice of metal with the old fan or the new fan, but I remember putting it on and finding out that I didn't actually need the new fan....switched it out anyways becuase I wanted to replace all the moving parts in mine...
I have a FS100 with IDE too. I placed the metal shield and another piece of clear tape on the drive. The FAN turns on when I turn on the FS100, but then when the screen lightens up the FAN stops.

I opened the FS100, and left it open with all connections on, meaning the HDD is not close to the FAN, basically unable to stop it from running because of the magnetic field of the HDD.. same thing happened, the FAN turns on and once the screen turns blue then the FAN stops.

So I'm assuming there's a temperature sensor inside the FS100 that controls the temperature and only turns on the fan as needed.

Has anyone gotten the same experience?

Just want to make sure the HDD is not going to die on me while shooting.

Thx

randy09660
05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
I have a FS100 with IDE too. I placed the metal shield and another piece of clear tape on the drive. The FAN turns on when I turn on the FS100, but then when the screen lightens up the FAN stops.

I opened the FS100, and left it open with all connections on, meaning the HDD is not close to the FAN, basically unable to stop it from running because of the magnetic field of the HDD.. same thing happened, the FAN turns on and once the screen turns blue then the FAN stops.

So I'm assuming there's a temperature sensor inside the FS100 that controls the temperature and only turns on the fan as needed.

Has anyone gotten the same experience?

Just want to make sure the HDD is not going to die on me while shooting.

Thx I had trouble with my fan getting very loud and staying on. It does have a sensor and only comes on when needed. I sent it in under warranty they fixed it, bad sensor. If you have put in a better Drive it might not need the fan as much, and you might get more time from the battery. I'm hoping to use the kit from HDrevolutionstore.com and then use a SSD. After the warranty is done.

randy09660
05-13-2009, 02:05 AM
Ok, I did this a while ago, using the Westerndigital 250GB, since that is the only 250gb IDE drive I could find.

Now, everything works fine, says I have 270+ minutes befcause I formatted it fat32 single partition before putting it in, so all is well except I did not put the tape on the drive like the old one had.

The old drive has yellow/orange tape on it, and also a metal plate on the underside of it. I did not put the tape on, nor did I move the metal plate to the new drive. Did I need to do that?

p.s. - as soon as the solid state drives go down, I am putting one of those in. you can get a very short/small cable that converts from sata to ide, so it will fit inside, and be identical to the P2 cards, all solid, no worries about moving platters! right now the 256gb SSD drives are $600, but I am sure they will be half or less than that by the end of the year :) I will never need P2 cards, yay!! :) where can I get this cable? Have you seen what they got at HDrevolutionstore.com? I like it but not the price.

monday1313
05-13-2009, 10:41 AM
@obonin

yep, fan only comes on when needed. and runs at start-up.most likely to make sure it works...

obonin
05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
@obonin

yep, fan only comes on when needed. and runs at start-up.most likely to make sure it works...
Thanks Guys for the reply. Indeed did a crazy 18 hours of SD recording with my DVX100A and the fan goes on and off regularly. But the drive doesn't seem to heat up too much.

Each drive was left with about 1.25GB of free space. On the second drive, the last file is 146MB and is unreadable. The one before last doesn't have a problem.

That's it. Everything looks good.

For those who are wondering about the tape and the metal shield, I wouldn't ignore them. Focus Enh. put them there for a good reason, after lots of testing I'm guessing. The reasons for the piece of tape that I can think of are:
- Heat protection, those tapes are orange, and might provide some heat shielding to the components on the board. The components won't melt, but they might behave in a different way that the temperature they're speced for, and therefore cause your recording to fail... But that's a guess
- Prevent from touching components. Although there's already a label stuck on the HDD which would prevent short-circuiting components, it might be an additional protection that is so easy to have with another piece of tape.

Ok done with this testing. Will do some testing with the HPX170 soon.

randy09660
05-19-2009, 01:14 PM

p.s. - as soon as the solid state drives go down, I am putting one of those in. you can get a very short/small cable that converts from sata to ide, so it will fit inside, and be identical to the P2 cards, all solid, no worries about moving platters! right now the 256gb SSD drives are $600, but I am sure they will be half or less than that by the end of the year :) I will never need P2 cards, yay!! :) Where can I get this cable you speak of, to convert from IDE to SATA?

dpavid
05-27-2009, 03:14 AM
best buy sells a WD2500BEVERTL model. Will any WD Scorpio IDE drive work?

dpavid
05-27-2009, 08:40 PM
i would stick the metal plate to ne new drive, if i were you. so you wonīt need a new fan.
+1. Magnet on fan and HD cancel each other out! I could not mount my drive and fan would twitch without metal plate. After install, smooth as butter! Best hack on these forums by far! I just increased my record time 150%. WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!:dankk2:

dpavid
05-27-2009, 08:56 PM
best buy sells a WD2500BEVERTL model. Will any WD Scorpio IDE drive work?
bought one to try and it worked.

soren k jensen
07-08-2009, 08:08 AM
So I'm buying another used fs100 to have the same recording setup for my B cam. :-)

randy09660
07-19-2009, 01:53 PM
how to replace the 100GB hdd with 250GB in your firestore fs-100
(no warranty given! use your brain when doing the operation!!!)

1.) get the 4.0.1.xxxxx BIOS update (for free) from focus enhancements as it supports 250GB drives. otherwise your fs-100 will support only two partitions with 125GB each. flash your fs-100 with the new BIOS.
link to fs-100 bios 4.0.1: ftp://ftp.focusinfo.com/FS100v4.0.1.04_UpdateAndReadme.zip

2.) open the little screws of the firestore case. look which model (IDE or SATA) you have. I have the IDE model. If you have SATA, you canīt use a IDE drive. close the case again until you got the new hdd drive.

3.) If you have IDE, buy the WD Scorpio 250GB (WD2500BEVE) with PATA (IDE) interface. itīs around 67 euros or $72 in the us.
technical specs of the WD scorpio (IDE): http://www.westerndigital.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=346
3a.) if you have a SATA firestore and a SATA HDD: it isnīt very complicated to mount a SATA drive into a SATA firestore. just plug and play one/two cables.

4.) if you got the new drive from your dealer, open again the little screws of the firestore case.

5.) you have to stick tapes to the same places on the new harddisk where the original yellow ones are sitting. but beware of covering the little air hole with the tape!!! otherwise you may damage your harddisk! i made also a little hole in the tape, i used a fine knife for that.

5.) disconnect the flat cable of the old hdd. then open the little screws of the silver plate below the harddrive. open the 4 screws which fasten the hdd to the silver plate. put the old hdd away. maybe you can get an external case later to use the old 100GB hdd with your computer.

6.) there is a a square of metal (shielding) affixed to the underside of the old drive exactly where the fan lined up with the drive. take that off the old drive and fix it on the new drive on the same place. otherwise you could get problems with the fan.

7.) connect the new hdd with the flat cable. pay attention to the direction the cable is connected to the drive. if you reverse it you will probably kill your hdd and or the fs-100. fix the screws in reverse order so that the new harddisk is fixed in the case.

8.) close the case with the outside screws.

9.) connect your firestore to the power supply. for best security, connect also an accu to the case.

10.) start the engine :beer: (press the "ON" button on the fs-100)

11.) maybe your firestore will ask you to partition the new drive. in this case press "NO" (otherwise the fs-100 will make two partitions with 125GB each).
11a.) Original all firestores over 100GB (also the original 160 and 250GB models) will partition into 2 partitions. if you are comfortable with this, you can press "YES" and forget step 12 and 13.

12.) if your firestore says "please wait" or "waiting" or something similar (i donīt remember exactly) after the boot screen, use the arrow keys to navigate to the "DD DRIVE" option. Enable the computer connection. you should hear a ding dong (=recognized firewire device).

13.) use this program http://tokiwa.qee.jp/EN/Fat32Formatter/index.html to partition and format a whole 250GB partition with FAT32 (Windows XP or Vista canīt format partitions larger than 32GB with FAT32). If you are on a Mac you can just use the disk utility to format the drive with FAT32.

14.) reboot the device. you should see "278 minutes free" (in DVCPro HD/1080i) or something similar.

congratulations, you have just upgraded your fs-100 to the newest 250 GB model!

you should test the recording between camera and fs-100 after the modification to ensure the correct workflow!
I get two partitions which is ok with me but i only am getting 257 minutes? not 278.

soren k jensen
08-29-2009, 01:03 AM
I now have two 320 gb hacked firestores that work fine. They let me film long stretches of documentary when needed. I then use P2 cards for moving shots. Just remember that heat is a real issue. Remembr: run on power supply and remove the battery, when possible. Cool them if you can. :beer:

Frantic
09-14-2009, 10:49 AM
I get two partitions which is ok with me but i only am getting 257 minutes? not 278.

the 278 minutes recording time come if you format with the utility in only ONE partition.

Fresh Meat
10-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi all,

I just purchased a new fs-100 250gb and upgrade to 500 gb. SATA
Worked ok but when reboot, it just sat at please wait. So I used fs utility tool to format and it gave me 4 partitions. I too would rather have a single prt. Maybe I'll try aain.

Frantic
10-14-2009, 03:29 PM
how did you first format the drive? in point 13 of my how-to i recommend a special utility. i never tried it with hdd bigger than 250gb.

Fresh Meat
10-15-2009, 11:08 AM
:violin:first, in vista i ran command as admin, then format d: /fs:fat32 command. i thought i could do this to save time because i thought the format on the firestore would take longer. WRONG! the vista format command took several hours and at the end it said the partition (single) was to big for fat32. i had forgoten the fat32 limits. SO...... when i installed the drive back to the firestore case and booted, the os only sat at the wait screen, never asked me if i wanted to partition, so i ran the onboard format utility and it did a quick format and partitioned. .......oh well

Fresh Meat
10-15-2009, 11:13 AM
perhaps i will use your recommend tool. thats what i get for
listening.

Fresh Meat
10-15-2009, 02:02 PM
HEy Frantic,
I just ddl that fat32formater you recomended. i will now have 1 part. thanks.

pixelated
10-15-2009, 02:20 PM
I gave the fan a good blast and it made a fun sound, so I blasted it twice.

This is most probably why your fan failed. These bearing DO NOT like to be oversped and will usually fail shortly thereafter.

Whenever cleaning your electronics with compressed air, always hold or otherwise immobilize any rotating fans. Also remember that this air moving thru a hose, nozzle etc will build up a significant static charge. Never touch the components with the nozzle or anything else not grounded (including your fat little fingers). Grounding wrist straps are CHEAP at any electronics house.

Frantic
10-16-2009, 01:43 AM
HEy Frantic,
I just ddl that fat32formater you recomended. i will now have 1 part. thanks.
just to make sure it will work over the whole partition you should record a day on that partition. press rec on the cam and leave the cam alone for the recording.

Fresh Meat
10-16-2009, 08:40 AM
just to make sure it will work over the whole partition you should record a day on that partition. press rec on the cam and leave the cam alone for the recording.

Ok, Frantic, formated with suggested prog. and now have single part.
now have 557 minutes. will begin the test tonight.

DamselDiver
10-16-2009, 09:04 AM
Has anyone upgraded an FS drive with a SSD hard drive? Are there any heat issues with an SSD? Is there special firmware for SSD drives?

Thanks
Cheryl

Fresh Meat
10-17-2009, 12:00 PM
Has anyone upgraded an FS drive with a SSD hard drive? Are there any heat issues with an SSD? Is there special firmware for SSD drives?

Thanks
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,

I my self will try this on the assumptions the drives are able to withstand the confines of a laptop case and no heat issues, I belive a SSD runs cooler, the drive can be formated to FAT32, same architecture.

Zacshome
10-20-2009, 07:51 AM
hey guys, there is 3 pins on the back of the fs100 to read the battery, lets say...well i snapped one off..... and it wont read batteries....and focus want 300 to fix it.. is there another cheap way to fix it?

iyin
11-11-2009, 10:40 PM
I have a question, hope that someone can help me ASAP
I have two old version FS-100 which is using IDE interface inside. And one new 250gb model with SATA interface inside.
I would like to change all of them into 256 SSD hdd.
But I am not sure that is that possible because I am not familiar with SSD HDD

This is the only ATA SSD HDD which I can find in Hong Kong
http://www.solidata-ssd.com/onlineshopitems/p2.htm

As I know, DVCPRO HD is a 100mb/s codec, but it claim that the max write speed is 75 MB/s only.
So is there anyone can answer me that this hdd can use with FS-100 or not?

and abut the SATA version FS-100, would someone suggest me which SSD HDD I should buy?

sorry about my broken english.
hope that someone can reply me ASAP because I need to buy those stuff ASAP.

oneday
11-17-2009, 02:15 AM
did someone had problems with WD250 upgrade, I just wanted to buy the hard drive and I take a look for some reviews just in case, but the reviews are very bad, most of them says that the drive lasts for few months !!!

reviews link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16822136159

Sumfun
11-17-2009, 07:29 AM
As I know, DVCPRO HD is a 100mb/s codec, but it claim that the max write speed is 75 MB/s only.
So is there anyone can answer me that this hdd can use with FS-100 or not?

100Mb/s is only 12.5MB/s. So speed-wise there should be no problem. I don't know if the interface will work, though.

iyin
11-19-2009, 07:29 AM
oops!!!
Thx for the reply, I haven't notice that is Mb rather then MB.

I have contact the Dealer and try that HDD already, but it can't recognize the HDD. They are still work on that, trying to figure out the problem.

iyin
11-20-2009, 03:40 AM
http://www.photofastssd.com/

Dear all, I have just back from the HK dealer of photofast, it works fine with FS100!

VJELITE
12-06-2009, 05:15 AM
The same happened to me and they wanted to charge me $300. I checked many shops and they could not repair it. I went to a shop and a tech gave me 3 pins similar to the one inside...they were a bit broader. Using a scissors I trimmed them then soldered them in it works perfectly now. Search old devices you have for similar pins.

Adrenaline
12-07-2009, 06:48 AM
Anyone had any luck with going above 100gb in a FS-4? I checked the readme files and it said nothing about allowing bigger drives, but I was wondering if it even mattered.

konton
12-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Sorry. I got a FS100. I'm gonna try this 320 upgrade. Dell is selling the drives for about $100 after tax. I tried this during the summer but ripped those pins off in the process, and then couldn't find a drive so sale. This was in Vietnam.

$300 to fix? Yeah, I was told the same thing. But this dude fixed it for $2 on the side of the road in Saigon.
http://www.justinkmiller.com/files/IMG_0407.JPG

nono2212000
12-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Did some research on the subject.
YES YOU CAN- no problems either.

Pretty cool.
hi
i am interested in any hacks for the fs100
please send to nono2212000@yahoo.com.au

Adrenaline
12-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Sorry. I got a FS100. I'm gonna try this 320 upgrade. Dell is selling the drives for about $100 after tax. I tried this during the summer but ripped those pins off in the process, and then couldn't find a drive so sale. This was in Vietnam.

$300 to fix? Yeah, I was told the same thing. But this dude fixed it for $2 on the side of the road in Saigon.
http://www.justinkmiller.com/files/IMG_0407.JPG

I've got a 320gb Hitachi coming tomorrow, so I'll give it a shot and let everyone know how it went.

daryn@cashmarkmedia.com
12-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I have four FS-100's. Two are 160 gig PATA (IDE) that are about a year old each. One is a 250 gig that is about 7 months old, and one is a 160 gig that is about a month old. After breifly (and incompletely) reading this thread, I ordered 4) of the 320 gig WD drives that have been referenced in some threads on this board.

I have tried installing on of the 320 gig drives into one of the older 160 gig FS-100 that I have updated to the latest firmware. I have not had any sucess getting the 320 gig drive to work. After installation, I was getting the "Please Wait" message that never went away. I have been able to use a FAT32 formatter to partition and format as single partition using an old USB External enclosure. After reinstalling the drive into the FS-100 The unit showed 300+ minutes of recording available. Cool.... Not. I went to utilities and formatted drive (I am sure that this will happen at some point in time as this is the common way that drives are erased afer use at our company). Right back to square one. Please Wait. Anyone been able to get the 320 gig drives to work normally in the FS-100's without loss of format function through FS-100 Utility menu? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bert Jan
01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Hey all,

I'm new here. I know the 'normal' forum rules, but any help in appreciated ;)

I recenty bought a FS-100 100gb NTSC by eBay, and found out after the purchase that there are two versions of the FS-100. ( i need the pal version) I read here a lot of different things.

1. The unit is the same for ntsc/pal, it's only the firmware that has to be changed

2. The hardware is different for the pal/ntsc

3. Apperantly, there is a patch around 4.0.//// wich would solve a lot of framerate issues

4. focus can fix the ntsc/pal problem for 300 euros (WTF?)

ok,
1. if it's only software, can someone please put all his (PAL disk)data on the disk on a dropload or similar file transfer program. by changing the data i assume the unit will be PAL? willing to give it a try anyway :)

2. If its hardware, how can focus change that? will you get another chipset or what?

3. this 4.0..... patch on the focus site for $39,95... is this the problem solver? if so, can anyone please mail his PAL serialno. to me, cause the in order to download the patch you'll have to give em your serial (my guess is that they can check if you're having PAL or NTSC version)

4. What the hell are they fixing if it's costing 300,- euros?

my apologies for the bad grammar, i'm dutch and trying ;)

Is there anyone here with the same problem, and how did you fix it?
I paid $700,- for the unit and i'm willing to sell it for that amount. trade with his PAL brother would be golden though.

thanks!

Bert Jan
01-09-2010, 03:42 AM
Hey all,

i mailed the people at como in germany. this is what i got - read from bottom to top as it is copy pasted from mail program:

Hi,

with different models we are protecting the European market against grey imports from the US because the EU has import taxes for VCR devices and we have to go with a 24 month warranty. On the technical specs on the focusinfo.com page you find 50Hz and 60Hz models...

The firmware is 120,- EUR and we need an hour of work ( 80,- EUR ) to modify your unit. Thatīs how I calculate the price and it includes 19% VAT.

Hope this info helps

best regards
Norman Schlomka
-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: info@quarter9 <info@quarter9.nl>
Gesendet: Mi 06.01.2010 16:48
An: Norman Schlomka <nschlomka@como.com>;
Betreff: Re: AW: Re: WG: FS-100 convert to PAL

Hey Norman,

200,- euro's.. That's an awfull lot of money for just a firmware change. Since you're 'offering' the mod for 200,- i guess there's no exact price for it.
I expected something around 100,- euro's max. I understand it's not only the FS-100's hack, but also to compensate between the EU and foreign model.
Still, it's a LOT of money for some firmware.

Another thingy.. There's nothing on the focus site saying there are two models. The' well you bought it in us so its ntsc' rule is a bit lame to me. Could have been clearer to avoid stuff like this.

I'm willing to give 100,- euro for the firmware hack. Simple reason is i don't have the money to give it to you after buying the hvx and the fs-100. I'm a starting company with no reserves.

Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks in advance.

Bert Jan Blok

Op 6 jan 2010, om 16:52 heeft Norman Schlomka het volgende geschreven:

Hello,

there is no way to do the modification by yourself, we need to do this in our workshop.

Since you bought this a a used unit, I would offer you the modification for 200,- EUR, normally the price difference is higher because of EU import taxes.

best regards
Norman Schlomka

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Bert Jan Blok <info@quarter9.nl>
Gesendet: Di 05.01.2010 19:20
An: Norman Schlomka <nschlomka@como.com>;
Betreff: Re: WG: FS-100 convert to PAL

Hey Mr. Schlomka,

I bought the FS-100 in the USA with eBay, and therefor have no invoice.
I would like to know what the price will be for making the FS-100 PAL,
and what you are going to do with the FS-100.
There is no way for me to download the firmware to do it myself i suppose?
I understand that i would have to pay for firmware.
Maybe i can ask the first owner if he still has the invoice.

So,

How much will it cost me and what are you going to do with it.

Thanks in advance.

Bert Jan Blok

Op 5 jan 2010, om 17:26 heeft Norman Schlomka het volgende geschreven:

Hello Mr. Blok,

thank you for buy the FS-100 NTSC. We can offer you a firmware change in our office in Germany, there is no method of changing the video system in the field.
We need the original invoice and will charge you the difference to the European list price.

best regards
Norman Schlomka

Subject: Follow up required
Due Date: 1/5/2010
Priority: Normal
Comments: I bought this FS-100 from the US, but never thought about the fact there are two FS-100's. Unfortunatly i got the wrong one and am now not so happy with my 700$ brick. Can you please tell me how to convert my FS-100 to PAL, so i can work with it combined with my HVX200

thanks in advance,

Quarter9.nl
video / web / print
Ossenmarkt 48
8011 MZ Zwolle
06 520 613 04
info@quarter9.nl
www.quarter9.nl (http://www.quarter9.nl)
BTW:NL105008242B01

Ratzy
01-23-2010, 12:16 PM
1.) get the 4.0.1.xxxxx BIOS update (for free) from focus enhancements as it supports >250GB drives. otherwise your fs-100 will not support bigger harddisks. flash your fs-100 with the new BIOS.
link to fs-100 bios 4.0.1: ftp://ftp.focusinfo.com/FS100v4.0.1.04_UpdateAndReadme.zip

I have a FS100 that was dropped and the hard drive has failed. I would love to ugprade the 100gig drive to 250 but I wonder about your pt#1 that says to get the 4.0.1 update first. My firestore is not currently working. Will I need to install a 100gig drive just so I can do the BIOS update to make it ready for a 250gig drive? Or is there a way I can go straight to 250 and update the BIOS afterwards?

Ratzy
01-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Sooo...no reply to my last question...I'm hoping this "refresh" will get someone's attention. I really need to get my FS100 up and running again.

kepano
01-29-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi - new to forum here, but I just went through this exercise with a WD 320 and wanted to add a couple of things that I didn't see in others' experiences with the upgrade.

I'm using the WD 320 IDE Scorpio something or other. Physical swap wasn't too difficult, though I must say, the build quality and QA of this device has a lot of room for improvement. One of the screws holding down the disk drive bracket was screwed in at an angle at the factory, so it's crooked and almost pokes through the plastic post. Also, one of the power wires (from the battery terminals to the logic board) was pinched by a chassis screw post, breaking through the insulation, so bare wire is exposed (I fixed it with some electric tape). Not wanting to buy a roll of Kapton tape, I carefully pulled the original stuff off the factory drive and applied it to the new one.

After cussing at the plastic bits that wanted to keep falling off the sides of the unit as I put it back together, I fired it up and plugged it into my Mac Pro. Launched Disk Utility, saw the drive and tried to partition it. No MS-DOS or FAT32 choice provided. Quick Google scan and I found the command line below:

newfs_msdos -v focus1 -F 32 /dev/rdiskN

Note, the source I gleaned this from used an upper case -V, which is incorrect. It must be a lower-case v. The focus1 volume name was just something I made up. And, the N in /dev/rdiskN is the disk number for the device you want to format. You'll want to make sure you're executing the command on the right disk. In Disk Utility, you can right-click on the icon of the disk and get more information.

So, after rebooting the FS and connecting it to my Mac again, I see the device mounted as a MS-DOS FAT32 drive in a single just-under-300GB partition (don't recall the exact number). But, after several reboots and even a system reset (which resets the clock, among other things), "Please wait" never went away. My Mac could see the disk, but the FS apparently couldn't.

I resorted to using the FS format utility (even after reading that it breaks up the single partition), but after saying it completed the format, the FS still didn't see the disk (please wait, still). When I plugged it into my Mac, the partition that I created with newfs was gone. So, I re-executed newfs from a terminal window.

I could see a FAT32 partition in Disk Utility once again. But this time, before I unplugged the FS from the Mac, I ran the erase utility. I recalled that the erase utility lets you choose a file system type, and seeing as MS-DOS wasn't an option before, I wanted to check and see if MS-DOS would be offered now. Sure enough it was.

So, I used the same volume name (focus1) and erased the disk with MS-DOS format. Oddly, under physical disk icon, I saw disk 1 and FOCUS1 listed as partitions. I unplugged the unit and rebooted it. Yay! 356 minutes showing. But, when I plug the FS back into the Mac, I only see the one FOCUS1 partition/volume in Disk Utility. Not sure where "disk1" went. I'm assuming it was a temporary representation of slice 1 (disk2s1) that is now FOCUS1.

I'm now going to test it out, but I thought I'd share what worked for me while it was still fresh in my mind. Hope this helps someone that might be running into the same issues I did.
I could see

Copperpot13
01-31-2010, 12:15 AM
I love this thread. Thank you so much to all of you for providing so much user experience.

So. I just did this to my FS-100. I installed the Western Digital PATA 320gig drive. It works great when I format from my mac in DD Drive mode to Fat32. In P2 mode it says I have 356 minutes. But unfortunately when I format through the firestore menu it wipes out the volume entirely, can’t find the drive and I need to plug it back into my mac and initialize the drive again. I’d be happier if it partitioned the drive, than give no drive at all. Hopefully, with 356 minutes, I’ll never be stuck in the field with a full drive I forgot to format.

Anyone have any ideas?

crobs808
02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
I love this thread. Thank you so much to all of you for providing so much user experience.

So. I just did this to my FS-100. I installed the Western Digital PATA 320gig drive. It works great when I format from my mac in DD Drive mode to Fat32. In P2 mode it says I have 356 minutes. But unfortunately when I format through the firestore menu it wipes out the volume entirely, can’t find the drive and I need to plug it back into my mac and initialize the drive again. I’d be happier if it partitioned the drive, than give no drive at all. Hopefully, with 356 minutes, I’ll never be stuck in the field with a full drive I forgot to format.

Anyone have any ideas?

Do not EVER use the internal (or computer based for that matter) formatting feature on the Firestore once you have it setup as one big FAT32 partition. All you have to do is select the "Organize Reel" function after you finish a shoot, then everything will be in the "CONTENTS" directory, then when you plug it into your computer, just move that whole directory off, and you will have all your space/recording-time back...no need for formatting ever again after the initial time.

That is how I use it, and since I installed the 320gb drive, I have done this process about 10 times w/o formatting...works great.

I am going to update to a solid state IDE drive soon once the prices come a bit more down, then it will basically be like having a 250GB P2 card (250GB is the biggest that SSD comes in IDE...everything else in the SSD world is SATA unfortunately, and the FS-100 is IDE based)

Thanks, and good luck - hope that helps!
-C

Frantic
03-13-2010, 03:39 AM
I have not had any sucess getting the 320 gig drive to work. After installation, I was getting the "Please Wait" message that never went away. I have been able to use a FAT32 formatter to partition and format as single partition using an old USB External enclosure. ... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

i would suggest you to READ CAREFULLY my first posting in this thread! :Drogar-Thinking(DBG

12.) if your firestore says "Please wait" after the boot screen, use the arrow keys on the fs-100 to navigate to the "DD DRIVE" option. Enable the computer connection. you should hear a ding dong (=recognized firewire device).

so please, guys, read my manual step for step and follow it briefly!!! then it will work great.

Frantic
03-13-2010, 03:52 AM
Do not EVER use the internal (or computer based for that matter) formatting feature on the Firestore once you have it setup as one big FAT32 partition. All you have to do is select the "Organize Reel" function after you finish a shoot, then everything will be in the "CONTENTS" directory, then when you plug it into your computer, just move that whole directory off, and you will have all your space/recording-time back...no need for formatting ever again after the initial time.

That is how I use it, and since I installed the 320gb drive, I have done this process about 10 times w/o formatting...works great.

I am going to update to a solid state IDE drive soon once the prices come a bit more down, then it will basically be like having a 250GB P2 card (250GB is the biggest that SSD comes in IDE...everything else in the SSD world is SATA unfortunately, and the FS-100 is IDE based)

Thanks, and good luck - hope that helps!
-C
that is not quite right. at least on the 250GB drive, you can use the internal formatting routine, but then you’ll have 2 or more partitions (depends on the capacity of the hdd). that’s not really a problem, because the original 250GB models from focus have the same behaviour: after the first partition is full, the fs-100 will use the second partition automatically. after that the third and so on.

i am not 100% sure if it works this way also on 320Gb and 500GB, because i have only a 250GB drive. but one of the first postings in this thread says, that you can format it also with the internal routine and bigger hdd’s. anyway, it’s important to follow my how-to briefly.

btw., i can see all partitions of my upgraded 250Gb model on windows xp.

Bert Jan
05-03-2010, 03:51 PM
hey all!

don't know if this is the place to drop it, but i read a lot of problems about making the fs-100 PAL instead of NTSC or the other way around for that matter.

Well, here it goes! I bought a NTSC version of the f-100 on ebay, not knowing there's 2 versions.
After a lot of searching i found out that Holdan in the UK does the job for 100,- euros.

I send my NTSC FS-100 to them, along with 100,- euro's cash last week and got it back today, and it's all good now! PAL hvx-200 works perfectly on the FS-100 now!

If anyone needs their FS-100 converted from PAL to NTSC or vice versa, I highly recommend them!

here's their info:

Warren Bowler
Sales Office Manager

Holdan Limited
Unit 2 Waterside Business Park | Hadfield | Glossop | Derbyshire | SK13 1BE | United Kingdom.
E-Mail: warrenb@holdan.co.uk | Head Office Telephone: +44 (0) 1457 851 000 | Fax: +44 (0) 1457 850 964 | Skype: warren.holdan I Web: www.holdan.co.uk (http://www.holdan.co.uk). & www.holdan.eu (http://www.holdan.eu)

Now let's make that baby 250 gig ;)

Frantic
08-11-2010, 06:28 PM
I have a FS100 that was dropped and the hard drive has failed. I would love to ugprade the 100gig drive to 250 but I wonder about your pt#1 that says to get the 4.0.1 update first. My firestore is not currently working. Will I need to install a 100gig drive just so I can do the BIOS update to make it ready for a 250gig drive? Or is there a way I can go straight to 250 and update the BIOS afterwards?

sorry, i didnīt see your question. i think you can update your firmware even without a working harddrive installed (but i'm not quite sure). just try that, if that fails, try to install the bigger hd and after that install the firmware update.

Ausmus
09-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Hello,
I upgraded my fs-100 with a 320GB WD drive and now it says "no drive detected." I tried swapping it back with the 100GB drive and it says the same thing. Would anyone have ideas on what might be wrong and what I could try? Thanks

Frantic
09-17-2010, 11:23 AM
is power connected to the internal drive?

Ausmus
09-17-2010, 11:41 AM
I think so, everything is connected.

Frantic
09-17-2010, 12:49 PM
if both drives aren't recognized, it's probably an issue with the firestore. check all cables inside the hardware, check if the flashing is correct (bios 4.01).

Knoxworth
09-21-2010, 05:32 AM
Can I just wait until I have a harddrive failure and then try this?

Is the proprietary Firestore element likely to fail before the actual harddrive element? I'd feel like a god having 300 minutes of HD to shoot. But I don't want to risk it at the moment.

Jesus, someone has 557 minutes of HD they can shoot? No shit.

Frantic
09-21-2010, 06:30 AM
According to Barrack: Yes, you can! :laugh:

But: if you know where (on which end) a soldering iron is getting hot you should not brick your firestore if you pimp it up. Just do exactly what i wrote in my first posting.

vx-2
09-27-2010, 10:50 AM
My original FS came on as a 250GB SATA by Hitachi HDD.. was wondering if anyone else have a similar device ? Any bad experience from it? I'm thinking of swapping it to 500GB.

I'm wondering if the internal re-formatting would still automatically partition them to 150mins each, would it be partitioned into 4? (Since. 250GB = 150mins x2 - P2 format, so 500GB = 150mins x4)??

Thanks.

crobs808
10-12-2010, 01:40 PM
My original FS came on as a 250GB SATA by Hitachi HDD.. was wondering if anyone else have a similar device ? Any bad experience from it? I'm thinking of swapping it to 500GB.

I'm wondering if the internal re-formatting would still automatically partition them to 150mins each, would it be partitioned into 4? (Since. 250GB = 150mins x2 - P2 format, so 500GB = 150mins x4)??

Thanks.

I cannot speak for how it works on a 500GB (I did not even know there was a 500GB in IDE available, I thought 320GB was the biggest IDE in 2.5" size)

Anyway, I am using the 320GB successfully, but you cannot use the formatting feature on the Firestore itself. Just format it once, the first time as FAT32, single partition, which gave me 356minutes of recording time. When done recording perform the Organize function, then just CUT/PASTE (rather than copy) the files off to your Desktop. After that is done your drive will be back to 356 minutes available (you never have to format again).

The reason it works with the 250 and not anything higher than the 250, is because Firestore uses the same firmware in both their factory shipped 100gb and 250gb models. The Firestore does not know how to partition anything bigger than 250, so it just leaves the extra space higher than 250 as unused and not partitioned (that is why you see lower recording times when you use the device's partitioning function - NEVER do that after you have done it once)

:) Good luck - I am selling mine if anyone is interested (or will trade for a 64gb P2 card)

vonkuttenberg
12-05-2011, 10:13 AM
is it possible to upgrade with all 2,5" IDE drives? like +hitachi/seagate...

findre
09-16-2013, 09:47 AM
I have a few FS-100's and need to upgrade them, but it looks like focus us no longer and the link for the bios upgrade is history. Does any one have the Bios update for version 2.0 to 4.0, 4.1 and 4.0 to 4.1 that they can send me?

EDV
09-16-2013, 11:00 AM
(that is why you see lower recording times when you use the device's partitioning function - NEVER do that after you have done it once)

How would you know if the FS-100 was purchased used on ebay?