PDA

View Full Version : Canon 5d Mark II upgrade?

Austin P.
02-04-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm in a bit of a pickle here and figured I would see what other people had to say about it:

I shoot video(Panasonic dvx100B w/ Redrock adapter and Canon FD Lenses) and photography(Canon 40D w/ a bunch of EF Lenses).

I was considering selling my DVX and all the accessories plus my 40D and buying the 5D Mark II for both photo and video. I was previously considering just upgrading to the HVX200 but I cant really afford to buy that plus the $2,700 .3x fisheye adapter (For action sports since that's mainly what I shoot) plus upgrading my Redrock which would cost all together about $8k+. I can't really afford that.

So now I'm thinking if i upgrade to the 5D I upgrade my video and photography equipment all in one plus its less equipment for me to carry around all the time. I read about ways to work around to make it fully manual which makes me want to do this even more. I will also sell my DVX and all that and 40D so I'll have some extra money afterwords to spend on extras for the 5D like maybe a new lens and/or the Redrock cage and matte box for it.

But here is my only main concern:

Since the Mark II only shoots 30p, that means its terrible for slow motion. I used to shoot 60i with my DVX and time remapped it with Twixtor. Not being able to properly slow down footage is kind of a big problem for me but it's the only thing holding me back.

Anyone input? Comments? I HIGHLY appreciate it.

Abaddon
02-04-2009, 02:13 PM
For me, the issue would be the 30P, lack of simple manual iris control, lack of variable frame rates, and lack of XLR inputs.

I do think the camera is amazing, but I would personally wait until something new comes out that addresses all those issues.

If you think the image quality and workflow suit your needs, then go for it. Maybe rent one first and see how you like it. But if getting true slo mo is a top priority, then either get an HVX or wait a while.

zeroblank
02-22-2009, 09:30 AM
The canon is an amazing piece of equipment, however it is limited. If video is of main concern I wouldn't rely only on the canon.

Emanuel
02-22-2009, 11:30 AM
(...) I wouldn't rely only on the canon.Only? I either. Otherwise, I would, I did. Scarlet FF35 comes next year. It starts (brain) at $10K.

Texanite
02-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Scarlet FF35 might come out next year. Right now it's being said that it will start (brain) at $10K. But nobody really knows since RED explicitly reserves the right to go back on any claims they make, change the pricing, change the availability or come up with a new 'replacement' product for the one previously announced.

Fixed

Eric Papa
02-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I'm actually planning on doing the same thing. I have a DVX100a and a Canon 20D. I was hoping to sell both to make up most of the money for 5D Mark IIn! I think its a great idea. I have other HD cameras, but I could see using this 5D for my creative projects, like music video or commercial...and of course my photography