PDA

View Full Version : Buying a camera with a 3K Budget

dreadnok99
01-30-2009, 01:41 AM
Hey guys,

This is a great site and from what I've seen so far I think I'll be able to learn alot here.

I've been doing some research into getting a camera, most of my expirience has been with the dvx100b and the sony PD170 and I've liked them both but prefer the dvx. I would really like to go HD but I'm thinking it's a little out of my price range at this point and i don't want to wait any longer to save up and for prices to drop.

The work I'd want to do is mainly broadcast quality music videos and short films and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice as to what to do with a $3000 budget. I'm thinking I may just have to settle for DVX100b, I know theyre great cameras but I'd atleast like to get a 35mm adapter for it, but again, that would be out of my price range. Is there another "prosumer" type HD camera out there I should be looking into that is cheaper? Is there another HD camera I should look into that is cheap enough for me to still afford a 35mm adapter? Bare in mind, I only have $3000 - $3700 maximum to spend and camera or set up that is broadcast quality.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David

Jay Laville
01-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Canon XH-A1, new or second hand?

Kegan
01-30-2009, 06:51 AM
Well have you budgeted for audio, lights, tripod etc? If not, I'd forget the 35mm adapter idea altogether and rent when you need it.

I'd say go with a used XH-A1, if you don't have the above listed...but if you do, I'd try to pick up an HMC150. I own the XH-A1 and it is an excellent camera, but solid state recording on cheap media is just too appealing to me. You will have to transcode to ProRes if you're using FCP, but I still think the capture/log time is faster, even with the transcoding.

Good luck,

Kegan

yommytacoe
01-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Read more about this topic at www.google.com

In the past 10 threads like 8 of them are about this same exact topic....

green thumb
01-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Read more about this topic at www.google.com

In the past 10 threads like 8 of them are about this same exact topic....

i started a craze:Drogar-Love(DBG):

yommytacoe
01-30-2009, 02:16 PM
i started a craze:Drogar-Love(DBG):

Hahaha far from it. Scroll down a just look at the huge volume of threads exactly like yours greenthumb

dreadnok99
01-30-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks alot guys! I'm looking into the XH-A1 now. I don't have too much of a problem buying used at this point, I'd just like the best possible camera for my budget. As far as lighting, i already have a basic lighting kit which is all I'll need for now, and for sound equipment, I have none, But I do have access to borrow some from freinds.

And yes, i did realize there were a few threads like this already, but not being the most technical savy person when it comes to cameras, simply googling it can get confusing. I've read so mane differing reviews of so many cameras I figured I'd give this forum a try, and it helped out!

dreadnok99
01-30-2009, 03:45 PM
Well have you budgeted for audio, lights, tripod etc? If not, I'd forget the 35mm adapter idea altogether and rent when you need it.

I'd say go with a used XH-A1, if you don't have the above listed...but if you do, I'd try to pick up an HMC150. I own the XH-A1 and it is an excellent camera, but solid state recording on cheap media is just too appealing to me. You will have to transcode to ProRes if you're using FCP, but I still think the capture/log time is faster, even with the transcoding.

Good luck,

Kegan

So you're saying that when you capture/log footage shot with the XH-A1 I'll have to transcode to ProRes in FCP? Will that effect image quality at all?

Also, from what I've read about the XH-A1, there are no "P2 Type" cards you need to buy in order to shoot HD and all you'll ever really need is Mini DV tapes in order to shoot HD, is this correct?

I just want to make sure that I won't need to buy any sort of recording cards or FireStores in order to start shooting, which could cost me another couple of grand.

Again, I really do appreciate all your help, and have found a new XH-A1 for sale at an authorized dealer in town here for $3049, one year warrenty and all.

So far from what I've read online, this might be the camera for me.

Nektonic
01-30-2009, 04:10 PM
dreadnok99 -- what Kegan is saying is that for the Panasonic HMC-150 you will have to transcode to ProRes if using FCP. With the Canon A1 FCP has native support, so you can just capture as HDV or set it to capture and transcode to ProRes if you so choose. If you edit in native HDV you can still export your final master as ProRes, DVCPRO HD, AIC, etc. This works well for me. Others might like to edit in ProRes though, so there really is no right or wrong way to do it.

Personally, ProRes is really only needed with HDV if you are going to be doing lots of keying and effects. It will also give you more room to color correct and color grade, however, I've found that with editing in HDV you will have plenty of room for color correction and grading. If you can swing it, I recommend Magic Bullet Looks for color grading.

If you do edit in native HDV, I recommend going into your sequence settings and setting it up to do all of your rendering in ProRes. This will improve the quality of your timeline renders.

dreadnok99
01-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Great, I get it now. Thanks for all your help! I'm going in to look at the Canon A1 tomorrow, but so far I think it's my best bet. If I do end up buying it I'm sure you'll be hearing from me over the next few months with settings and editing questions, haha. I'm so glad I found this forum, you've all been a great help and amazing with your quick replies.

Cheers!
David