PDA

View Full Version : The RED camera is a JOKE

Crash0verride
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
There is already a Nikon STILL CAMERA that also shoots video and can do almost the same thing, 4k uncompressed, 24p, and obviously 35mm lens ready. In a couple years anyone that bought a RED is going to regret it. A first generation company, a first generation product that is overpriced, over-hyped and will soon be out done by the masters: Panasonic, JVC, Sony and Cannon.

MasterP
01-28-2009, 05:31 PM
That's pretty inflammatory and very opinionated - have you made any films with said Nikon?

With a RED ONE??

Or are you going down the armchair speculator "on paper this is better/worse" route?

I personally don't care to be honest - I'll be shooting DV for ages... :)

*grabs a seat and sits back*

Rylan Zolinski
01-28-2009, 05:32 PM
I have a feeling that by the time the Scarlet is released, there will already be something else in production that is similar. It's all vaporware through RED anyways until I can actually have one in my hands. Knowing them, it won't be released for a long time to come.

William_Robinette
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
This is laughable. Anyone comparing a D90 to a RED hasn't looked closely at either system.

Oh, and:

http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/181554.gif (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/181554.gif)

yommytacoe
01-28-2009, 05:40 PM
It's unfair to call red a joke. While I will admit that i'm skeptical about whether or not scarlet will ever come to be after all these delays, I do think that RED one is a revolutionary product. As far as i know nikon doesn't have a camera that shoots 4k video...

Nektonic
01-28-2009, 06:03 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/181554.gif (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10063/181554.gif)

Go Geordi Go!!!!!!

It's unfair to call red a joke. While I will admit that i'm skeptical about whether or not scarlet will ever come to be after all these delays, I do think that RED one is a revolutionary product. As far as i know nikon doesn't have a camera that shoots 4k video...

I agree. Why not just use the best camera you can afford now, and if RED does end up pulling off the Scarlet, then you can always praise or mock RED when it is released. And there are professionals using the RED One with great results. Steven Soderberg, Peter Jackson, and David Fincher have used them and all three of these directors have praised the camera.

Sure to some of us a RED One might be overkill and too expensive for what we really need, but there are tons of people whose budgets and technical requirements fit nicely with a RED One. I'm sure the same could happen with Scarlet and Epic.

orchidsofwrath
01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
WHAT NIKON CAM ARE YOU TALKIN ABOUT THAT SHOOTS UNCOMPRESSED 4K?!?!? What planet are you from, dude? There are so many things dividing the D90 and the 5d mark II from red its not even funny. Even an hvx200 or EX1 with a 35mm adapter annaihalates any video DSLR.

Oh and by your comparison... 35mm film is a JOKE TOO. Since its about 4k equivilant in terms of optical defenition (or less), its 24p, its uncompressed, and it uses 35mm lenses. And guess what... its WAAAAAAAY more expensive than RED!

WTF are you saying man?

Kwan
01-28-2009, 06:13 PM
There is already a Nikon STILL CAMERA that also shoots video and can do almost the same thing, 4k uncompressed, 24p, and obviously 35mm lens ready.

Represent as similar? ... amusingly ridiculous
Please examine the characteristics again.. LOL

orchidsofwrath
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
Didn't you guys hear? Verizon just came out with a cell phone that has a 2/3rds inch sensor that shoots 24p full 2k! Give or take...

insanityfw
01-28-2009, 07:40 PM
I can't even believe i'm responding to this, but it was just so ridiculous I couldn't help it.

I bought the Nikon D90 and while people are getting OK results it is in NO WAY competing with RED. In my opinion the D90 was so much trouble to get a marginal image that I took it back.

And I'm a bit familiar with RED and what it can and can't do.

It is a lot more expensive than a D90 :)

Certainly the time will come when the traditional companies will rise up and start to compete, but then RED will be moving forward as well.

Andrew Brinkhaus
01-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Don't worry about this thread guys, this same joker tried posting this on Craigslist as well and was FLAGGED in a few minutes of him posting.

It's a shame to see him infecting the boards here.

Nektonic
01-28-2009, 08:44 PM
On a lighter note, speaking of Crash Override, I recently re-watched the 90's classic Hackers on cable a few weeks ago. What can I say, this film is a guilty pleasure.

Chris Light
01-28-2009, 09:35 PM
...and he didn't spell Canon right.

Drew Ott
01-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Dude, this guy is a troll. Learn to recognize it.

Luxaltor
01-28-2009, 10:11 PM
There is already a Nikon STILL CAMERA that also shoots video and can do almost the same thing, 4k uncompressed, 24p, and obviously 35mm lens ready. In a couple years anyone that bought a RED is going to regret it. A first generation company, a first generation product that is overpriced, over-hyped and will soon be out done by the masters: Panasonic, JVC, Sony and Cannon.

The D90 shoots in 720P using h.264 compression, hardly 4k uncompressed. Just wanted to point that out. Also... overpriced? I would like you to find a camera that shoots 4k at a frame rate up to 120 FPS for under twenty grand? Oh wait, another one doesn't exist.

The D90 is a first generation product. It is completely obvious that the video was just thrown in the camera just so Nikon could yell "First!". No microphone port? Only 720P? Let us not forget the nice "jello" effect you get when you do quick pans!

Even the 5D Mark II has its fair share of faults. You still can't control aperture, shutter speed, ISO; all things I'm pretty sure you can control on the Red One and I'll be shocked if those options are not available for Scarlet.

Also, calling Red "vapor-ware" at this point is a pretty baseless claim. Renowned directors and cinematographers have used it and loved it. Scarlet is coming, whether you like it or not. I just hope that Canon and Nikon are shi*ting their pants (or have already done so) and are quickly working on a full frame video camera that actually acts like a video camera.

My two cents.

Otis Grapsas
01-29-2009, 04:52 AM
Then, we have Panasonic’s DMC-TZ7 for 300 euro or so. OIS, 25-300mm, CCD, 720p 60p 17mbit/sec AVCHD and 720p 30p Quicktime MJPEG:) I bet this competes with Ikonoskop and my design.

Luis Caffesse
01-29-2009, 07:38 AM
You guys are all just upset because you couldn't come up with valid arguments to counter his well thought out and cogent points.

:)